U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:23 PM

19,316 posts, read 58,631,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workitoutnow View Post
The Mad River Valley is beautiful, but it's not really walkable, except for "in town" Waitsfield, and that's really only a grocery store and a few restaurants. If you have high school age kids, I would not recommend Harwood at all, as it's not a great school. If you can find a good private school around there, go for it. The Valley offers great recreation and the people are nice. If you like skiing and hiking, you'll be right in the center of everything. It's VERY sleepy in the Summertime.

Jeffersonville comes with a horrible commute along Route 15, one of the worst in Vermont. Also not a walkable town in any sense of the word.

Montpelier - good schools, walkable, within an hours drive of Burlington. Be careful of buying any property close the river, as it's flooding more and more lately.

Waterbury - Once again, walkable, but only to a grocery store and a few restaurants. Everything closes by 10. Same thing about buying property near the river.

Hardwick - Once again, another horrible commute down Route 15 to get to anything.

There are pros and cons to living on the New Hampshire side of things: Pros are taxes. Cons are that the Upper Valley is far away from any sort of city of any sort (3 hours to Boston, 2 to Burlington, really too far for a day trip.)
Uhh, when did Jeffersonville change? Not too much there, but it was always walkable. The rte 15 trip is a lot worse than it used to be, I'll agree.

Waterbury, the grocery up in Colbyville changed a few things, but I always either walked or biked around town, even most days in winter. The flooding is an issue, which is why I suggested the two locations I did.

Harry, I'm not sure that many people from northern/central Vermont even consider Brattleboro part of the state.

All of the places are best evaluated with a couple boots on the ground invasions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM

325 posts, read 641,779 times
They don't plow the sidewalks in Jeffersonville in winter....No mail delivery on Main Street either.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:04 AM

5,393 posts, read 3,813,742 times
Some places that come to my mind:

-Montpelier
-Middlebury
-Woodstock
-Brattleboro
-Bennington
-St. Albans
-Brandon
-Rutland (sort of)

Cat

Old 06-05-2015, 02:34 PM

5,441 posts, read 15,398,829 times
i wouldn't say the MRV is sleepy in the summertime. there are a lot of things going on from a marathon to beer fests to 4th of july parade, bike races, BBQs, farmers markets...it can be quite busy. definitely not bored in the summer here.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:53 AM

418 posts, read 535,909 times
Waterbury has a vibrant and very walkable downtown.
I cant speak to the private schools there, but I know there are several options in South Burlington, which is a half hour away at the most, depending upon road conditions.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM

168 posts, read 218,931 times
Default Time Dilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by workitoutnow View Post
There are pros and cons to living on the New Hampshire side of things: Pros are taxes. Cons are that the Upper Valley is far away from any sort of city of any sort (3 hours to Boston, 2 to Burlington, really too far for a day trip.)
3 hours?! Even the Dartmouth Coach bus does it in 2 1/2, with stops. Driving myself, and keeping to about 5 over (until the Mass line, then going with the flow) it can be as little as 2 hours, even. (Or much more, on a holiday weekend!)

Old 06-12-2015, 02:48 PM

380 posts, read 332,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryinPA View Post
As to the OP, I would think Brattleboro would be a place to consider. It's population is about 12,000 but the way Vermont defines town boundaries a lot of area outside of what would be normally thought of as the "town" is included so the dense part of town is probably no more than 10,000. Other than the public school system which I know little about, it would seem to have everything you're looking for. (There is a Montessori school in town and the Putney School is 12 miles away.) Great farmers market, hiking trails right in town at Brattleboro Retreat and across the Connecticut River at Mount Wantastiquet, cross country ski trails and even a small family oriented downhill ski area in town. It's located at the confluence of the West and Connecticut rivers so there are water sports opportunities as well. It's less than 40 miles from beautiful Northampton Massachusetts, a small city often compared to Burlington. Brattleboro also has a fairly large arts scene for a town so small. Finally, it's definitely liberal, maybe the most liberal place in Vermont? Again, this is not information I've experienced but only what I've read. If the reality is different, it would be great to hear other points of view.
I lived in Vernon (right next door to Brattleboro) for a few years, and I completely second this. Brattleboro is lovely. It is practically next door to towns that were communes in the 60-70's and you have a lot of crunchy and artsy people who never left, many of whom moved there from out of state as well so they understand the transition. A number of the local farms sell their products directly to consumers. You do have to take the 10min drive to the farm, but you can't beat the quality. There is a farmer's market as well...numerous ones.

In the interest of full disclosure, there is/was a nuclear power plant there though (down stream in Vernon) so you may want to read up on it and decide if getting everything you want and living next door to a nuke is for you. It is a little weird when they start discussing/reminding people about evacuation plans and where you can go to pick up your iodine if a leak occurred. To my knowledge, there has never been any major incident that affected the population.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
3 hours?! Even the Dartmouth Coach bus does it in 2 1/2, with stops. Driving myself, and keeping to about 5 over (until the Mass line, then going with the flow) it can be as little as 2 hours, even. (Or much more, on a holiday weekend!)
Yep. From exit 17 on I-91 to the I95/I93 exchange in Mass, it is 2.5 hrs doing 70mph the whole way. Exit 17 is about 45 mins north of the West Lebanon/I89/I91 exchange. If you are going to Back Bay Boston, yeah that might edge you closer to 3 hrs. It is always hell getting over the Zakim bridge and down Storrow Drive.

And that drive up I-89 to Burlington is frickin tedious. Concord/Manchester, NH are closer and just as good shopping and restaurant wise. West Leb/Hanover has just about anything you need though, and anything else can be delivered in two days from Amazon. Seriously, the Upper (Connecticut) Valley is a great area though traffic is quite congested when the nurse's shift change occurs (7-8am; 3-4pm). Dartmouth (both the hospital and the college) makes real estate expensive though so you could try Thetford or Hartford, VT. Norwich, VT is an adorable town, though I wouldn't call it cheap. OTOH, if you are looking at the MRV then you are in the property price ball park. They are similar.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 PM

168 posts, read 218,931 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
Yep. From exit 17 on I-91 to the I95/I93 exchange in Mass, it is 2.5 hrs doing 70mph the whole way. Exit 17 is about 45 mins north of the West Lebanon/I89/I91 exchange. If you are going to Back Bay Boston, yeah that might edge you closer to 3 hrs. It is always hell getting over the Zakim bridge and down Storrow Drive.
Well if you're talking Exit 17 then maybe 3 hours to actual Boston, sure; but Exit 17 is Newbury, which I barely think of as "Upper Valley". To me the Upper Valley is Ascutney/Windsor to Bradford, south-to-north, and Royalton to Canaan or Grantham NH, west-to-east, and my travel times were from Norwich/Hanover.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Well if you're talking Exit 17 then maybe 3 hours to actual Boston, sure; but Exit 17 is Newbury, which I barely think of as "Upper Valley". To me the Upper Valley is Ascutney/Windsor to Bradford, south-to-north, and Royalton to Canaan or Grantham NH, west-to-east, and my travel times were from Norwich/Hanover.
Yep. I was referring to my own drive, not that Newbury is in the CT Valley. That is why I also pointed out that exit 17 is 45 minutes from the i-89/i-91 exchange.

But that was the point, my drive is an additional 45 mins, and I can get to I-95/Rt 128 in just under 2.5 hrs. So from West Leb, it would be even shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont