U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 06:35 PM

17,732 posts, read 53,837,146 times

Advertisements

Let me start this out by saying this is NOT meant to be a political thread and is intended ONLY for current or past Vermonters.

Bernie got elected mayor while I was in Burlington. There is no question in my mind that the old regime was past its freshness date, and Bernie was the man for that job of cleaning house. I don't always agree with his stance, but there is a populist part of me that enjoys seeing how he has progressed over the years and been the only one who took on the big banks as the corrupt thieves that they were.

What I am more interested in is how he was - in your opinion - as mayor of Burlington. NOT as a senator, but as a local guy interested in local issues and people.

AGAIN - if you bring this to current day and the Presidential election cycle I would ask the mods to DELETE your response. This is about how he did back then and NOTHING else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,149,896 times
I did not live in Burlington when he was mayor but I have a few stories about him.

1. Before I even met my husband, he was a Bernie supporter and had a check writing party for him when he first ran for the house. His staff called to ask how to get to the house. My husband said, "Go down this road and the turn to the left. Then you take the next left. Our house is the first one on the left. If Bernie keeps going to the left, he will meet up with us." His staff didn't think it was funny but he did.

2. Since that time, whenever we saw my husband, he ALWAYS refer to him by his first name-never a "What's your name again?"

3. We went to hear him speak when he was running for the Senate for the first time. It was really hot in the room and he was sweating profusely. After the speech, we wanted to get our pic take with him. The three of us stood together with our arms around each other. I had my hand on his back and it was soaked with sweat. (yuck). Without thinking, I said that he was a "*******." I then realized what I said and to whom. Bernie's reaction was that he laughed.

4. Being a vet, I had some problems with the V.A. paying for my annual mammogram. I called Bernie's office (when he was in the house) to get it squared away-and he did.

5. We went to the opening of the V.A. clinic in Rutland. Bernie was there. I told him about a letter I sent to his office years ago. I thought it would be a great idea if there was a V.A. liaison office in Rutland because White River Junction was so far away. As soon as I sent that letter off (snail mail), the very next day I read in the paper that they were going to open such a place. I said, "Wow. Bernie works fast." After I told him that story, he gave me a hug-because I was a vet.

I hope these are the kind of stories you are looking for.

Cat

Old 07-06-2015, 09:59 AM

Yep. Good and bad, but LOCAL.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:00 AM

16,808 posts, read 11,737,427 times
Isn't Bernie a flatlander?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 AM

Yep, and he had to get over that to get elected mayor. (There was one politician from Mass. that wanted to be governor a few years back that didn't get over that hurdle.)

Old 07-18-2015, 11:23 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,149,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yep, and he had to get over that to get elected mayor. (There was one politician from Mass. that wanted to be governor a few years back that didn't get over that hurdle.)

Are you thinking about Jack McMullen who ran against Fred Tuttle in the Republican primary for the Senate? I remember the debate where Fred ask Jack how to pronounce Calais and how many teats does a cow have (he answered 6) to prove he didn't know anything about Vermont. (Fred won by a landslide and then endorsed Pat Leahy.) That was a funny chapter in Vermont politics.

As to my last post about Bernie, I noticed the autocensor worked on what I called Bernie. For those of you who are wondering what I called him, I basically said that his back was wet but all one word (if you know what I mean.)

I'm waiting for others to tell their stories about Bernie.

Cat

Old 07-18-2015, 09:37 PM

Very good, you remembered both McMullen and Fred (the man with a plan) Tuttle. Fred reminded me of my grandfather, but my grandfather was even more of a character in his own way.

I'm a bit surprised that there haven't been more local recallings of Bernie. Oh well.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 AM

404 posts, read 491,777 times
Long ago my dad, a ww2 vet, had some complicated issue with his va benefits or some such thing--I cannot remember exactly.
He called Bernie's office for help and a week later dad had what he needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont