Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:04 PM

23 posts, read 27,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
I think the key to any fall foliage drive is playing it by ear. Ask locals about favorite roads; watch for signs advertising cider fests or other events, etc. Get out and walk a trail, even if only for 15 minutes so you can smell the leaves and wood smoke and such. If you just plop in a car and sit for 10 hours, it's not going to be the best experience, regardless of the foliage.
Very valid point.

I looked into it, and per a Google search, it looks like on the way that's been recommend to me, that we'll have Art in the Park in Rutland (second oldest art festival in New England), Harvest Weekend at Billings Farm & Museum in Woodstock, and Cider Days in Mount Holly. Also looks like there's arts and farmers market in Warren, as well.

I'm just a wee bit concerned about it not taking TOO much time so that we'll be able to get to Pittsfield/Williamstown and enjoy Mass before nightfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Forgot about this site. They have more spotters in Vermont but they are using only 4 people to report in CT. Only 4 people reporting in MA none in central MA. So it's hard to get an accurate map especially in microclimates.

But I like the summary.

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php/foliage-reports

================================================== ===

I like this site better... Many more use it and they blend the reports to make an average. Definitely "turning" here.

Don't forget to make a Foliage report.

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/

Old 10-04-2015, 04:02 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Generally, the higher in elevation one goes & the farther north one heads, the cooler the climate & the further advanced the foliage is (can be seen earlier).

Wilmington, which is higher up in the mountains, will be ahead of Bennington or Brattleboro, which are lower in the valleys (where there's little color change thus far).
Haven't been up north, so don't know which examples might have vegetation more ready for leaf-peeping season. Cambium posted some good maps/charts.

Yesterday afternoon I was in southwest NH (near Springfield VT) & overheard a tourist asking when foliage might be at peak, the clerk said not yet, probably in 2 or 3 weeks.
This was the state of not-really-there-yet foliage as of Oct. 3rd, 2015 (in southern VT/NH, that is):

Old 10-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Looking like Stowe might be the place to be this weekend after all.

We're planning on driving up from Boston to Stowe area on Friday night. We have a hotel in Waterbury...planning on going as far north as Smuggler's Notch. We also heard that taking a gondola ride up Mount Mansfield and just walking around Stowe Mountain Lodge is an enjoyable experience so we'll likely do that.

Saturday, we're going to go to Sugar and Spice in Rutland for brunch. Other than that, we're fairly wide open.

Any stops or recommended routes for us on either side would be VERY much appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:40 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
Yup, things here are really just starting to turn (we're in Waterbury Center). It was kind of dull up to this weekend; I think the cold weather kicking in helped move things along. Not sure if we'll be at peak this weekend but it'll definitely be nice enough.

Tons of festivals/fairs/etc going on all over for the holiday weekend. Gondola will be great, hiking anywhere in the Stowe/Waterbury area will be beautiful. I'd head up to Trapps too, for lunch/beer/hike/views.

The ride down to Rutland should be beautiful; stick to the local roads for the best experience.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:39 AM

How's the foliage looking...well, now?

From what I've read in a few other places, it looks like around the Northeast Kingdom and Stowe area are basically "getting there" as far as peak colors go, and for those that aren't as savvy with fall colors, they'll probably look as beautiful as anything. Is this correct?

Also, looks like rain tomorrow.

We're driving from Boston to the Stowe/Waterbury area tomorrow. Hopefully we can see a few things amongst the rain drops. Any recommended (alternate?) routes recommended for on the way?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:11 AM

Rain is good. It will make the colors pop more.

I'd say we'll probably peak sometime next week, but it's looking really nice right now. You won't notice the difference between today and next week lol. The weekend is looking beautiful weather wise, so you're in for a treat.

What do you normally take coming up?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Rain is good. It will make the colors pop more.

I'd say we'll probably peak sometime next week, but it's looking really nice right now. You won't notice the difference between today and next week lol. The weekend is looking beautiful weather wise, so you're in for a treat.

What do you normally take coming up?
I've actually never been to Stowe, before.

We were thinking of taking 93 to 89 and then getting off and taking Route 100 straight up to Stowe area (thinking of going to the Stowe Mountain Lodge and taking a gondola ride in the afternoon, hopefully it'll still be open despite the rain). Then we'd possibly either go up to Smuggler's Notch for the remaining light hours or just head back down to Waterbury (where we're staying the night).

Then on Saturday we'll wake up in Waterbury, head down to Mendon (we've heard GREAT things about Sugar and Spice there for breakfast) and then we had plans to be in the Nashua area for dinner time, and we were thinking of taking Route 103 straight down all the way Town of Rockingham, taking 91 for a short period of time and then taking Route 101 across NH through Keene all the way to Nashua (I believe that Route 101 in NH is also a fairly well-regarded fall foliage route).

Any spots that we could see along the way or any suggested adjustments to the route would be much appreciated!

Old 10-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Oh, you're just here for one night?? I misunderstood, thought you'd be here for the whole weekend. In which case, bummer that you'll be here on the rainy day... Not sure how much will be visible from the gondola if it's raining, assuming it's open. You can stop at the Cider Mill in Waterbury Center..there's a fall craft fair going on in Stowe which is tented, so that could be an option if the weather isn't nice. Lots of shops/etc in town as well. You can take a ride up to Trapp Family Lodge on your way back from the mountain/Smugglers Notch, always worthwhile.

Unfortunately, everything will be so much nicer to enjoy on Saturday when the sun is out!

100 up will be a great way to see some stuff on the way in.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:08 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,331 times
anything going on in the Manchester area this weekend? heading up tn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont