U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 6,801 times

Advertisements

Hi, My name is Steven, new to here.
I am moving to Springfield, VT in 2 weeks due to work relocation.( Lived in NYC for almost 5 years) I have been to Vermont twice in my life before, really like the mountains there. Beautiful,,,,,,,,

I think this is a great move for myself, I have never been to any state without knowing any friends. So basically I am totally new to this place. Like an New born baby,,,haha..

Are ppl easy to make friends with there? This sounds very silly, But I am serious, I will have ZERO friends down there when I go there. So, I register at this place trying to see if I can make some friends first before I go there.

First of all, I am Asian, an open minded guy, single, late 20's. I have a full time job in Springfield.
I like to cook, also enjoy outdoor activities, sometimes especially at weekend nights, I will go grab a drink with friends in a cool bar or restaurant. I skied twice in my whole life, Loved it and definitely will continue doing it until I become Good at it.

My best friends in NYC pushed me to work out, I made it there like only 5 times due to my busy working hours before, But this wont be an big problem at the new place, So I would also like to work out with new friends too. ( If you can be my tutor in the gym that would be awesome, but if you are just like me, need someone to finish enough sessions in the Gym, that would be also excellent too)

From the posts I have read before, I believe This is going to be a great place to live. Hope I will make some new friends.

If you have any good places that I can go or visit in Vermont or interesting things that I can do,
please do not hesitate to give me a message. Much appreciated. (I can learn new skills too)

Best regards to all friends here.

Steven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 AM

809 posts, read 672,591 times
Steven, welcome to Springfield! I assume you've already lined up living quarters. Your next step is to meet the people who are changing the town: I suggest you join the food co-op and Friends of the Springfield Library and introduce yourself to Jen Thompson, chatelaine of the Jenny Wren, who knows everybody, and tell her you want to get involved. You can hardly go wrong with a membership in the Edgar May rec center to continue your fitness program, and if politics is important to you, the Liberty Union Party wants a presence in town (though there are also the usual Republican and Democratic town committees; the latter is far more active). On the civic side, be sure to register to vote (Vermont now has same-day registration) and while you're at the town office pick up a copy of the Town Report to see if any of the boards or commissions have vacancies-- we really really really really really appreciate having fresh points of view.

As for the 20-something social scene, I am pleased to inform you: You will have to create it. Andy Aldrich, the owner of the most casual music shop in Vermont, will be a good man to help you organize what you want. You can gather friends and plot in the about-to-be-reopened (after a sprinkler flood catastrophe) Hole in the Hill bar and restaurant, and maybe- just maybe- you can pull off what nobody in town has been able to arrange-- a Twentysomething Movies Night at what I consider to be the best movie theater in the state-- if you're into cinema.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Steven, welcome to Springfield! I assume you've already lined up living quarters. Your next step is to meet the people who are changing the town: I suggest you join the food co-op and Friends of the Springfield Library and introduce yourself to Jen Thompson, chatelaine of the Jenny Wren, who knows everybody, and tell her you want to get involved. You can hardly go wrong with a membership in the Edgar May rec center to continue your fitness program, and if politics is important to you, the Liberty Union Party wants a presence in town (though there are also the usual Republican and Democratic town committees; the latter is far more active). On the civic side, be sure to register to vote (Vermont now has same-day registration) and while you're at the town office pick up a copy of the Town Report to see if any of the boards or commissions have vacancies-- we really really really really really appreciate having fresh points of view.

As for the 20-something social scene, I am pleased to inform you: You will have to create it. Andy Aldrich, the owner of the most casual music shop in Vermont, will be a good man to help you organize what you want. You can gather friends and plot in the about-to-be-reopened (after a sprinkler flood catastrophe) Hole in the Hill bar and restaurant, and maybe- just maybe- you can pull off what nobody in town has been able to arrange-- a Twentysomething Movies Night at what I consider to be the best movie theater in the state-- if you're into cinema.

Feel great when I w0ke up and saw your input here. Thanks so much Cgregor.

I will definitely follow your suggestions and ideas. I would like to devote part of my time to meet those ppl who are changing the town and I will be more than happy to get involved if possible.

For sure, I will join the Edgar May fitness center and maybe I can know some gym friends out there too.

As you mentioned, the about-to-be-reopened Hole in the hill bar and restaurant, the Twenty-something Movie night are definitely very interesting things for me too. If there is anything I can do to make it happen, I will definitely try my best in my spare time. Not to mention this is going to be a great chance to know ppl in town too.

Thanks again...........

Old 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM

18 posts, read 23,432 times
Hi Steven and welcome to Vermont. Cgregor had a great response above.

Have you lived in a more rural area before your time in NYC? Living in a town with a population of around 10,000 is world apart from living the city.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryGuy2005 View Post
Hi Steven and welcome to Vermont. Cgregor had a great response above.

Have you lived in a more rural area before your time in NYC? Living in a town with a population of around 10,000 is world apart from living the city.

I have never lived in such a place before. But I am physically and mentally prepared and I actually wanted to do the change for myself. With the help of my new friends in town ( assume that I will make some reliable new friends ) , I will be fine, I believe.

Thanks for your ( OrdinaryGuy2005) input and nice remind. And the worst scenario, If I get really really bored or tired, I can always drive back to either Boston or NYC or burlington to have some city fun.

haha,, just saying,,,,hope I will do well there.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:57 PM

369 posts, read 295,357 times
Your in for a shock. Both culturally and thermally. cgregor gave some good input but you are entering into someplace that has no resemblance to new york. One thing about vermont is any part of the state has natural beauty. You can drive the whole length of rt 100 and never be scenically disappointed. As for Springfield though... uuumm...well I don't want to mean here, but I would put that on the bottom list of towns I would pick for a 20 something Asian guy from NY. Springfield has seen better days, it is a small rundown little town off the main road. I really hope you find what your looking for there. I would have pointed you someplace else but people like you are probably just what a place like Springfield needs. An influx of youth and new ideas. Best of luck

Old 08-24-2015, 06:42 AM

Squarpeg has an interesting viewpoint. As long as people think of Springfield as "a small rundown little town off the main road," they're going to stay away from it-- which is fine with me, because they're not the sort of people Springfield needs.

With the right people coming to town, here's what Springfield CAN do: Show every other town in America how to protect themselves from corporate predation-- Wall Street vacuumed out 80% of our capital base by 1990. Show America how to secure universal and affordable health care with a graduated payroll tax that makes mom and pop stores clamor for it. Show America how to get money out of political campaigns, one race at a time! This calls for people who are pioneers-- and Steven is probably one of them!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanks for all the input here.
I am really sorry for getting back late.

For the past 2 days, as soon as I get out of work, I drove to Claremont, NH, Charleston, Chester, Bellows Fall etc, I love the feeling of driving around and see how every other town is doing. I may choose one of these places to settle down. Right now, still looking for a place to live. Any recs?

Springfield is also a great place to live, one thing I figured is that: If I live in Springfield, best part is I can get to work pretty fast. I walked in town at night, not much stuff to do, super quiet, and what interesting is that: It rains at this block, while the next block is not, very funny.

I will continue to search and try to keep everyone updated. Wish me good luck.

Good night

Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 AM

In Springfield, some of the cozier neighborhoods are (in my opinion): the area around Harvard Street, the area around Poplar Street, the area around Garfield Avenue. The areas with neighborhood associations are: Park/Union Street, Olive Street (the Freedom Park Neighborhood Association) and Commonwealth Avenue. Talking to people in the neighborhood associations will give you some pretty solid info on the rental situation in town. You can get contact information from either the library (next to the Jenny Wren Cafe) or the town clerk.

Of course, you might want to consider being close enough to your job to avoid having to drive, although many people who live up the hill from their downtown job drive anyway. You can save a lot of money just by trudging homeward up Park Street, Summer Street, North Main or South Street. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
In Springfield, some of the cozier neighborhoods are (in my opinion): the area around Harvard Street, the area around Poplar Street, the area around Garfield Avenue. The areas with neighborhood associations are: Park/Union Street, Olive Street (the Freedom Park Neighborhood Association) and Commonwealth Avenue. Talking to people in the neighborhood associations will give you some pretty solid info on the rental situation in town. You can get contact information from either the library (next to the Jenny Wren Cafe) or the town clerk.

Of course, you might want to consider being close enough to your job to avoid having to drive, although many people who live up the hill from their downtown job drive anyway. You can save a lot of money just by trudging homeward up Park Street, Summer Street, North Main or South Street. Good luck!
wow,,,this is great info for me,,thanks sooooooo much.

I will walk to those streets at my most convenient time to see what is good out there.

Thanks again, I will come back and give my thoughts when I am done my research.

Have a great one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont