Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:05 PM

51 posts, read 57,418 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am poindering moving to VT from Denver area. Thus far my focus has been on Brattleboro and Burlington although I am open to other areas. I lived in CT and MA for most of my life so am somewhat familiar with VT areas. I am really not a big city type of person. I prefer smaller towns near cities where I can easily take weekend trips to visit other small towns and enjoy the outdoors and like to stay clear of the shoppping scene for the most part (I prefer local businesses and thrift). I also don't think much of urban sprawl/growth.

I am also hoping to find a place where it is easier to connect with other people, a friendly safe area with a reaonable cost of living. I love the outdoors (hiking, cross-country skiing, and whitewater paddling) and also enjoy volunteering (especially with at-risk/special needs children and teens). I also enjoy yoga, retreats, attending church, international folk dancing (which I really enjoy), tea/coffee shops (may sound silly I know, but I love tea), and helping the environment (trail work, recycling, etc). I am hoping for a slower pace of life (although I know that is in my control).

I prefer an area with a lower cost of living where it is easy to connect with others who enjoy the outdoors (meetup groups, paddling groups, hiking, etc).

Down the road I am hoping to have my own business -- community center/working with SPED.

Could yoiu recommend any areas to look into?

I am also considering UT, NC, and parts of Oregon.

Thank you for your time! All the best,
Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I'm not sure reasonable cost of living goes well with Vermont anymore.

What will you be doing for work?

I think you'd like Brattleboro and Burlington, but COL is high for the wages paid.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:45 PM

809 posts, read 997,912 times
Annie, look into livable wage Vermont to see how affordable it might be. I think Springfield would love to have you move here; you sound like the sort of person who would love to help us renovate the place. Various real estate sites have demographic information for our town-- I recall hearing the per capita income is around $28,000, the average household income around $45,000, the median income around $52,000, but that info could be dated. If you simply want to be part of the audience, Bratt and Burlington would be excellent choices.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 PM

Thank you, cgregor and timberline742.

I appreciate the information! I remember Springfield I think from some of my drives through VT... small, older... nice.

Currently I work in education reporting/management, but am hoping to spread my wings and start my own business. I am working now on the vision to that and how to make it happen and be profitable for me.

All the best to you!
Annie

Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 PM

167 posts, read 247,056 times
Come to Richford!!
It has a bad reputation and everybody I talk to (that doesn't live here) make a face when I say I live here and thanks to all these people my rent is dirt cheap! I have a beautiful 3 bedroom Victorian house with plenty light, original wallpaper, great landlords, neighbors, etc! We have everything walking distance and aside from a decent restaurant or bar, there's everything you need, really... Grocery store, corner store, library, post office, churches, schools, parks, coffee shop/deli, doctor's and dentist' office, daycare for our son, farmer's market on Saturdays, 2 thrift stores, trails, the river, trees, flowers... And a yoga center 15 mins away, in Sutton (actually there's free yoga in the park right now in Montgomery, 15 mins away too, where there's also great restaurants, bars, rec center with free summer concerts, great swimming holes...!!)

I'm already kind of tired to constantly defend Richford so I'll stop here... I just love my town and I kind of wish people weren't so hard on it... But like I said, that just means cheap rent for me !!!

I have 2 jobs and drive 10 mins to Enosburg and 40 to St-Albans and it's very doable for me!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Brattleboro, for sure. But buy a house in Hinsdale, NH just across the river.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:44 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
Come to Richford!!
It has a bad reputation and everybody I talk to (that doesn't live here) make a face when I say I live here and thanks to all these people my rent is dirt cheap! I have a beautiful 3 bedroom Victorian house with plenty light, original wallpaper, great landlords, neighbors, etc! We have everything walking distance and aside from a decent restaurant or bar, there's everything you need, really... Grocery store, corner store, library, post office, churches, schools, parks, coffee shop/deli, doctor's and dentist' office, daycare for our son, farmer's market on Saturdays, 2 thrift stores, trails, the river, trees, flowers... And a yoga center 15 mins away, in Sutton (actually there's free yoga in the park right now in Montgomery, 15 mins away too, where there's also great restaurants, bars, rec center with free summer concerts, great swimming holes...!!)

I'm already kind of tired to constantly defend Richford so I'll stop here... I just love my town and I kind of wish people weren't so hard on it... But like I said, that just means cheap rent for me !!!

I have 2 jobs and drive 10 mins to Enosburg and 40 to St-Albans and it's very doable for me!
You make Richford sound REALLY great! (I mean it!) Very tempting....

Old 09-04-2015, 09:50 PM

167 posts, read 247,056 times
Are you looking to relocate to Vermont?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:22 PM

Default I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Brattleboro, for sure. But buy a house in Hinsdale, NH just across the river.
Thank you! I recall some of the smaller, quainter towns in southwest NH. Just saw this painting of Hinsdale: http://hinsdale.govoffice.com/vertic...5A58FE4%7D.JPG

I will look into that! Don't know why I didn't think of that either.

Thank you!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 PM

Default Yes - I am considering VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
Are you looking to relocate to Vermont?
Yes; and I am considering other areas as well, but it is narrowing down perhaps to VT/NH, western NC, or maybe northern CA.

I love this forum -- I get more information that I ever could from googling!

Thank you and all the best,
Annie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont