Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Okay, I admit I am sick of the weather (it would be the same back in NY..) After the ice from last night (took my husband 35 minutes to make a 15 minute trip) and falling on my driveway today (me, not him) I am officially sick of it..lol...guess it's time to win a trip to Florida or Bermuda...?

Anyhow, how is the weather in Feb/March generally? Do we get a lot of this icy mix up here or is it more snow? I'm just wondering what to expect the next 6 weeks.

I keep saying 'if we can make it through winter the rest will be gravy...'

Maybe I have SAD disorder??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
February is pretty much the same as January...historically more snow. In March it starts to "warm up" a bit - meaning very few if any sub 0 days, but March is also historically our snowiest month. April & May are usually cool (40s-60s) and rainy....it doesnt start to really get warm until June.
Soo.... Get used to it!

EDIT - If you go to weather.com and put in your location, you'll get an option to see averages & records.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM

231 posts, read 869,487 times
Yep what Vter said. Feb. can have some pretty heavy snow falls (Valentines Day storm last year.) But, wet heavy snow can fall in April as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
Both Feb/Mar are still solid winter months I am afraid to say. But, you will notice the days getting longer and especially come mid March those sunny days will really give you spring fever. Statistically, right now we have reached the lowest average high/low daily temperatures. If we are lucky we will not have a repeat of the twenty something below zero days we had in this time frame last year. The snow I would like to see. Mud season at it's grandest will arrive in March, though for many here a few weeks ago we had brief preview. The freeze/thaw cycles will cause some impressive frost heaving on certain roads. Regarding walking on icy surfaces the most surefooted traction aids which are easy to use are Stabilicers which basically is a Vibram style sole with sheet metal style screws and velcro straps to attach to your shoe. Just don't wear them into the house or even walk on you garage floor because they will leave gouges. Another aid is Yaktrax (sp?) which are ligher, but also less durable. For just routine use these would be probably sufficient. This year being a leap years gives us an extra day of winter, or you can argue come April spring will arrive a day earlier.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
February tends to deliver more snow on average in all the New England states, especially the first 2 weeks- if we are lucky to get by without any major storms- then feel lucky.

January thus far in Southern New England has seen below average snowfall, and slightly higher then average temps- the next week seems mild--- 40s by day, 20s by night, easy to take in mid winter.

March in New England can be very capricious. Temps are higher then January or February due to the strong sun, and longer period of daylight- and the snow if any that falls tends to melt quicker.

Large snow storms during the first 3 weeks of March are not uncommon- if by March 20th no major storms have occurred, the laws of climatology see them less happening.

March without snow however can still be chilly to cold- quite disagreeable, with rain, clouds and a weather regime that is anything that can be called cheerful. There can be mild sunny days in the 50s, even 60s and 70s, followed by bleak overcast days of chill and snow flurries.

Early April can run the gamut from chilly to mild- with a stronger sun, that helps offset the still coolish air. Spring sets in with daytime highs in the 50s-60s throughout most of New England by mid to late April- the last night below 32 degrees in most of Connecticut is late April.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-30-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Okay, I admit I am sick of the weather (it would be the same back in NY..) After the ice from last night (took my husband 35 minutes to make a 15 minute trip) and falling on my driveway today (me, not him) I am officially sick of it..lol...guess it's time to win a trip to Florida or Bermuda...?

Anyhow, how is the weather in Feb/March generally? Do we get a lot of this icy mix up here or is it more snow? I'm just wondering what to expect the next 6 weeks.

I keep saying 'if we can make it through winter the rest will be gravy...'

Maybe I have SAD disorder??
Hang in there!

We haven't had any of the snow that VT has had, but take solace in the fact that you aren't paying the horrible LI property & school taxes anymore.

THAT ought to brighten your day

Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
It often snows in April. I've seen snow on the ground, on the north side of buildings, in May.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM

24 posts, read 99,475 times
My grandma always said that, in Vermont, "Feb." stands for "Freeze Everybody." March gets my vote for the toughest month of the year there, though. It is supposed to be spring, but it clearly isn't. At the same time, it isn't really winter anymore, either. St. Patrick's day makes a welcome break in the middle of the month, though--a good excuse to drink beer and forget the weather for an evening. Hang in there, GypsySoul!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 PM

79 posts, read 314,423 times
February is usually cold and snowy. March is truly the "In like a lion, out like a lamb" month- by the end of March you realize that Spring really is coming and is just around the corner. But just when you are in the spring mindset - we usually have one last doozy of a snow storm in April - case in point - my wedding on April 19, 1997 was definitely a WHITE wedding - a foot and a half fell the day before! But on April 20th, it was 70 degrees! We did miss the snow storm last year, but we ended up with a wicked wind storm, now famously known as the nor'icane (part noreaster, part hurricane) that all but crippled Rutland. For the record... I'd GLADLY take the April snowstorm anyday!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Haven't you noticed the longer days? It's the sign that spring is not that far off.

Sugaring could start in a month or so. Feb and March can be like Nov, Dec, Jan ......or not, depending on what mother nature decides to conjur up. In the last 2 years there has been a maple sap run in Dec. What has happened in the past is out the window, you just have to take it as it comes and get some enjoyment out of it.

That's what makes spring so glorious in a northern climate and so appreciated. Some springs mud season had come and gone with nary a notice while other years many have to park at the bottom of their hill or driveway and I spend alot of time helping to push people stuck in the mud. It's part of the adventure. If people don't like adventures in life they might not like living in a place like Vermont.

While we do have our moments, I have exciting weather stories going back 40 years in Vermont including the wind event a few weeks ago that knocked downed trees which knocked down powerlines in front of my place. As far as exciting weather overall compared to the midwest, southeast or southern CA our weather is pretty tame IMHO

Last edited by MRVphotog; 01-30-2008 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont