U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 02:54 PM

45 posts, read 39,320 times

Advertisements

I have traveled alot through the United States and I can say I have never seen a more hippified area then Western Vermont.

I remember walking around church street in Burlington and seeing kids with dreadlocks, people dressed in African clothes (alot of interesting alt. attire) and a bunch of hipsters as well . ive read alot about the city, and I know this is where the band phish, and Bernie Sanders come from , and that Burlington runs 100% on renewable energy sources.

Even in the extremly rural areas near the green mountains I remeber there being yoga places everywhere and people roller blading in tye dye t shirts.

Is all of Vermont like this? Is Vermont a hippie paradise? How did a state as random as Vermont get to be like this? If you live here do you like it? What do you think about hippie culture in Vermont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 08:38 PM

17,743 posts, read 53,869,694 times
Hippified?

You never saw the Village in NYC during the 1960s, did you?

Old 10-17-2015, 08:40 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,978,251 times
Brattleboro would be another great example of the "hippy" vermont you speak of. Actually on second though more "stoner" than "hippy" lol.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,519,783 times
Vermont is way more right wing conservative than "hippy" overall. There are a few pockets of hippyism but by far and away more typical rural right/John Birch types

Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 AM

809 posts, read 672,154 times
Vermont's stereotype changed greatly in the mid-Sixties when the Interstate came through. Until then it had been isolated, inbred, impoverished and insular. It was the only state in the Union to have its population dribble away (read The Yankee Exodus) for a century, and while it produced the occasional Great Man ( e.g., Bill of AA fame, Admiral Dewey, Ted Bundy), generally it was considered the Ozarks of New England. It was populated with spavined and malnourished men who failed the WWII draft physical at a rate of 30%.

When the Interstate arrived, the flower children of the Sixties found that Vermont just might offer their big chance to get back to the land, cheaply. One friend of mine said that after his $1,700 car turned into a pile of rust in a few years, he used his next $1,700 to buy 350 acres of Vermont woods. Hippies far more penniless than he flocked in, many of them eager to learn from bemused natives how to live sparely in their new state, but at the same time infusing their communities with values which sustain a lot of Vermonters today. By the late Seventies, only one out of three people living in Vermont had been born here.

Many people who move to Vermont today do so because its reputation as a hippie liberal haven appeals to them-- which one sociologist has pointed out makes the establishment of Vermont's character a self-selecting process.

Nevertheless, there are more than enough people here to keep it from being a truly liberal state. A child of one of the Monicagate principals makes a living here, and several wingnut welfare foundations ply their plutonomic and teabagger trade in the region's newspapers.

Right-wing politicians constantly bemoan the fact that Vermont's children leave the state, when actually that is the best next step for any young adult. Better to have people move here to pursue a dream than to live here all their life and grouse, "Is this all there is?"

Old 10-18-2015, 11:05 AM

17,743 posts, read 53,869,694 times
Decent post, cgregor.

I do question the 1 out of 3 figure, as those types of claims commonly include college students, and Vermont had UVM, St. Michaels, Champlain, Middlebury, Goddard, Norwich, and a few others. With enough out-of-state students to have a large percentage impact on a small population, that skews figures. The Gannet rag, The Burlington Free Press, was always right wing - often simply ignoring stories it didn't want to report.

In addition to the Interstate, reapportionment and the election of Phil Hoff created a climate that decimated a lot of the good old boy network, limiting roadblocks to more liberal influence.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,541 times
Oh dear, I thought the NEK had a lot more than Church St. But, I'm 5 mins from Bread and Puppet and recently was offered a job working on a new "hippie commune" that slept 20 in one giant room but only had one bathroom. However, it did have outhouses.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:35 AM

3,525 posts, read 3,028,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Brattleboro would be another great example of the "hippy" vermont you speak of. Actually on second though more "stoner" than "hippy" lol.
Agree. I thought that I was back in the late 60s when I passed through downtown Brattleboro a few months ago. Of course not everyone there is a hippie and some are probably just overly expressive "artsy" types, but I did see honest to goodness hippies.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,519,783 times
12 Tribes has a few restaurants, despite being a 'religion', they seem sort of hippy-commune. It was sort of strange to see such young women/kids(?) pregnant all the time when you visited their establishments. We were the people Vermonters loath, bought in to the radical liberal image and moved there to escape the overdevelopment and conservative grip of our previous city. We visited a few times and for purposes of research and really liked the 'vibe'.
Living there was very different. The reality did not live up to the image we built up in our heads. Now, I still love Vermont, will gladly visit again, but we found living there, the feel was an insular, unwelcoming culture that abhorred the "liberal" image people had of 'their' state. There was a republican governor and I heard "flatlander' up until the day we left. I think the liberal faction is the very vocal minority, but overall, Vermont is no different than any other NEstern, rural state. In any event, it will only take a few winters to see if you can "make it" or not. That is the test. Do not unpack all of your bags. The winters will separate the long-termers from the short-termers very quickly.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:23 PM

809 posts, read 672,154 times
Twelve Tribes is definitely not hippie, unless since the unmasking of their cult leaders (Sun Myung Moon family, junior edition) the local leadership have undergone electroshock therapy. They did indeed subject the cult's children to physical punishments which would have landed them in trouble with chlld protective services had they not the facade of religion shielding them. I knew people who left them. The ones born into the Twelve Tribes had a hard time adjusting to a world which expected them to think for themselves and their children; the ones who joined and dropped out at least had a chance.

Too bad your experience, ThunderKat, was negative. Where did you live in Vermont? I'll bet it wasn't Springfield.

As for the Vermont winters, if you can stand February, you'll love the rest of the year. I am always cheered by the warm snows of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or