Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,635 times

Advertisements

If you don't use studs in your tires......no matter what kind of vehicle you plan to use......then you will have less traction on ice and snow. This is a no brainer. If someone tells you that they have non-studded snow tires and that they are just as efficient as studded then they don't have a clue. Please get studs in your tires. Not only for your safety but for eveybody else. There is no restriction in Vermont as to when you can have them on your vehicle. Other states do. I reccomend buying your tires at Costco since they mount/balance the studded tires for $25.00. Just wait and see the amount of people sliding off the interstate. these people drive too fast and do not have studs. Ice storms are frequent and deadly. Know what black ice is and how to drive using a vehicle with ABS. How gives a crap about the roads!! I want my family alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,839,308 times
Many people debate the benefit of studded tires so here is my take from experience. In over twenty years in law enforcement all in winter climates I agree studded tires provide a benefit of traction on hard packed snow and ice. However, studded tires will not keep you from losing control if you are driving too fast for conditions just as all wheel drive will not help you stop any better if you are going too fast. AWD and studs will help in maintaining control, but only at speeds prudent for the conditions. Where I worked all season radials over the years were gaining favor over studded tires and we did have a legal season for use because they do damage the roads. The days of having deep tread snow tires are fading as all season radials really handle well on snow and ice while providing a much smoother ride. The main rule of thumb when driving on slick roads and water covered roads as well is to keep your speed down, maintain pproper distance and don't make sudden steering, braking, and acceleration changes. In just a short while here we will sort out the competent versus careless drivers.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 13,779 times
Default Chains are not necessary

Chains are not necessary

Old 12-24-2008, 03:50 AM

2 posts, read 13,779 times
Chains are not necessary

Old 12-24-2008, 08:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,375,623 times
Default Studded tires are worth the extra money

Welcome to Vermont. We moved here eight years ago when my husband received a job offer at the state office complex in Waterbury. It's a great place to work. Waterbury is an up-and-coming town with a really nice atmosphere.

Anyway, studded tires are definitely worth the extra $25 a tire or so that it will cost. Last year we bought a new, used minivan with FWD and did not get studded tires because we were trying to save money. It turned out to be a long snowy winter with lots of ice and there were many nights when I got home from work and could not make it up my steep, curvy driveway. Nothing's worse than being stuck at the bottom of your driveway in sub-zero weather after a long day at the office (especially if your husband's not home to help you snowblow and shovel). Additionally, I had to call a tow truck twice when I skidded off the driveway and into a snowbank.

The van just couldn't make it up if there was more than two inches of snow.

This year we got Weathermaster tires with studs. We've had two and a half feet of snow since last week and the minivan has managed to get up the driveway with no problems, even with several inches of snow and some ice. Also, the roads around my are have been snow covered since last weekend because they did a lousy job of plowing and I haven't slipped once.

IMO get the studs. It will make the transition to our winter wonderland easier.

Lisa

Old 12-24-2008, 11:12 AM

26 posts, read 88,873 times
Lol, Thanks for the reply, we have been here 2 years now as of December 15th. We live on route 100 south about a mile past Crossett Brook. I since bought a Subaru Forester and I am amazed at how it handles in the snow compared to my vehicles past. I still buy the snow tires, but with the all wheel drive I really don't seem to need the studs.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,535,133 times
Studded tires have LESS traction on bare pavement, I am not a fan. The only people I recommend studs to are those that live on dirt roads, or who travel dirt roads daily during the winter. For everyone else, most of your driving will be on wet or dry paved roads where studs are actually a liability.

Just my opinion formulated over 20+ years of driving every sort of tire, studded and otherwise, here in Northern New England.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/studtire.htm

Quote:
Under wet driving conditions the stopping ability of vehicles equipped with studded tires is actually reduced. Tire studs reduce the full contact between a tire’s rubber compound and the pavement. Research on studded tires consistently shows that vehicles equipped with studded tires require a longer stopping distance on wet or dry pavement than do vehicles equipped with standard tires.
google for more of the same.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,111,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Studded tires have LESS traction on bare pavement, I am not a fan. The only people I recommend studs to are those that live on dirt roads, or who travel dirt roads daily during the winter. For everyone else, most of your driving will be on wet or dry paved roads where studs are actually a liability.

I agree. I've had both studded snow tires and studless snow tires on the same cars. I feel most confident, and have felt most in control of my car, on studless snows -- except under unusual, specific circumstances.

The only time I found the studs useful was back when I rented one of the the only winterized houses on a S.NH lake and drove over 2 miles on narrow, hilly, twisty dirt roads to get to and from the road to work every day. Other than that 2-mile stretch, I found the studs noisy and also noticed that they tended to "skate" on bare pavement and ice.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM

894 posts, read 1,546,812 times
You guys need to try the factory studded nokians. The studs are fairly well recessed plenty of traction on dry pavement. I know folks who have run them year round...

Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,111,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
You guys need to try the factory studded nokians. The studs are fairly well recessed plenty of traction on dry pavement. I know folks who have run them year round...

Has that changed over the years? The tires I had were factory-studded Nokians, but that was 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont