U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,449 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I just graduated in May and I've kind of been floundering. My brother goes to school in Vermont, so I've been visiting him and I've fallen in love with the state.

I currently live in CT outside NYC and it's really not for me here. I was thinking about possibly moving to the Burlington or Middlebury areas. I'm not really interested in a typical office job, I'd love to work at a restaurant, a shop or a brewery...especially a brewery. I love the small town aspect of Middlebury, but I'm concerned that I'd be the only one my age there. I like Burlington a lot but an apartment downtown (or really anywhere) that isn't a college kid apartment seems to be really expensive.

I would love to hear what others thought of these two areas and if someone my age would enjoy living there. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 11:36 AM

10,283 posts, read 11,184,525 times
I think that Vermont is the kind of place that someone like you would like. I say this in part because I've lived here since 1983 and I think it's great, and partly because there are thousands of other people like you are here and they all seem to like it.

The biggest problem is that all of those other people are looking for the same jobs that you're looking for, so you might have a hard time supporting yourself.

As to your particular areas, Burlington: more jobs but also more competition for those jobs. Middlebury: fewer jobs, less competition.

You might consider Montpelier as another alternative. It's less of a college town than Burlington but there are still plenty of young people living here.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,449 times
Thank you for replying! I really don't know anything about Montpelier but less of a college town with young people sounds nice. Is there any nightlife? Is there a lot to do there? Do you recommend it for a 23 year old? (Seriously, the only thing I know about the city is that it's the capital).

Old 12-18-2015, 05:39 AM

10,283 posts, read 11,184,525 times
It's the smallest capital city in the country--about 8,000 people. Things get pretty quiet at night, but you can hear live music somewhere every night of the week. Most of the young people I know in town are a bit older than you, a few years either side of thirty. One of them actually got a job at one of the small breweries in the area, which was his dream job at the time.

Still, I think jobs are tight, which would give me pause. I've never quit a job without having my next job in hand, but I know I'm more cautious than some people. You don't say what your degree is, but you might want to start looking at state jobs (I assume they're listed somewhere on the state's web page) and at Seven Days, the "alternative" paper in Burlington that has really become the go-to place for job ads.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM

35,325 posts, read 25,034,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcd3 View Post
Thank you for replying! I really don't know anything about Montpelier but less of a college town with young people sounds nice. Is there any nightlife? Is there a lot to do there? Do you recommend it for a 23 year old? (Seriously, the only thing I know about the city is that it's the capital).

It's way small.

That said, while I love VT and went to school in VT, I left right after as did almost everyone I went to school with (At UVM) unless they had super strong family ties. The jobs weren't there, and that was when the economy was booming under Clinton. So if you do want to move there, have a job waiting, or be prepared to fight it out in the service sector. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:13 PM

41 posts, read 73,313 times
If I was 23, Burlington area is probably the only place I'd want to be in Vermont. Middlebury is primarily an undergraduate college, with the exception of its summer language programs drawing in wider age spectrum. Yes, Burlington rents expensive for what you get. You can always get a roommate. Rents are cheaper in Winooski, just across the river from Burlington. Lots of craft breweries all over Vermont. Also hard cider is big now.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 25,233 times
I am in my 30s and I live in Middlebury. I think it's a pretty good spot for someone your age, but agree that you will find more people your age in Burlington (and probably Montpelier, too). According to Wikipedia, Middlebury actually has a bigger population than Montpelier (8,496 compared to 7,755), but I think that must include college students. Montpelier definitely feels a little bigger and does have more nightlife going on. The nightlife in Middlebury is just ok - you would probably end up driving the 50 minutes to Burlington fairly often to have more options. You can usually find live music, though, about 3-4 nights a week between 51 Main and Two Brothers Tavern. Cost-wise, I think Middlebury is only slightly less expensive than Burlington, and Montpelier is probably slightly less expensive than Middlebury. The main disadvantage of Montpelier is the weather (if you like warm summers). I notice that it's usually a few degrees cooler (especially at night and in the morning) compared with either Middlebury or Burlington. This is due to those towns being at lower elevations and in the slightly warmer microclimate of the Champlain Valley. Overall, I think Middlebury, Burlington or Montpelier would all be great options for a young person who enjoys an outdoor-oriented lifestyle - they are all among the best towns to live in anywhere in New England in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or