Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 16,654 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to Vermont/NH and was wondering if anyone on these forums is a chemist/scientist or knows of companies in their areas who are hiring in this area. I am a PhD organic chemist by training with an extensive knowledge of polysaccharides, organic synthesis and practical experience in the paper, food, personal care, adhesives and detergent industries.

I am specifically interested in positions located in New England, particularly Vermont (My wife and I were married in Vermont and it has always held special appeal.) Of greatest interest to me would be a research and development position within a consumer products, specialty chemical, biotechnology or pharmaceutical company. Positions in environmental or government laboratories as well as chemical education are secondary choices that also hold appeal.

Any and all information would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,217,258 times
Err..I can't think of anything like that off the top of my head. Maybe the University of Vermont has some research openings? Vermont is not exactly a hotbed for science & technology.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Err..I can't think of anything like that off the top of my head. Maybe the University of Vermont has some research openings? Vermont is not exactly a hotbed for science & technology.
Yeah I know its pretty sparse up there...I know of some of the more well knowns like

Mylan Technologies- St Albans
Goodrich Corp- Vergennes
Autumn Harp- Bristol
IBM- Essex Junction
GW Plastics-Royalton

searching for company names and/or position listings.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,217,258 times
Try GE Healthcare in SB...it's a medical software company, but they do employ folks with medical field knowledge more as consultants (maybe they need pharmacoly folks?).
Also try Seventh Generation (Burlington)

Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,111,678 times
Don't know if NRG hires specifically in your specialty, but they might. They might also know who does.

NRG Systems - Global leader in wind measurement technology

Old 02-08-2008, 01:12 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,772,366 times
Vermont Business magazine is a terrific resource for you.

I'd telephone them and ask them to send you thier Book of Lists or some similar directory. I've sent them to friends out of state who have actually found jobs that way.

VBM has a website, but I find thier printed resources to be even more helpful.

Best,
David Beckett

Old 02-08-2008, 09:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,166,463 times
Okay let's see if I can dig some leads up for you in the paper, food, personal care, adhesives and detergent industries.

"MONTPELIER - Up to 100 jobs will be created as a result of an agreement announced today by Dirigo Paper Company LLC of Milton, Massachusetts to acquire and restart the Gilman Mill. The mill last produced paper in April, 2002."

Hayward, Tyler Inc. (Colchester)

Omya (has location in VT) Omya North America

Yikes that's it. Are you locked into VT/NH? If not, and if you're looking for a small town atmosphere you might look into Blacksburg, Virginia. I lived there for about 10 months - thanks to Virginia Tech the town is booming with biotech/engineering startups. The primary corporate research park in Blacksburg is home to like 120 biotech/engineering/i.t. companies employing about 2,000 people.

If you're locked into VT/NH then you might have to get creative with respect to job prospects? Teach, perhaps?

Sean

Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Vermont Business magazine is a terrific resource for you.

I'd telephone them and ask them to send you thier Book of Lists or some similar directory. I've sent them to friends out of state who have actually found jobs that way.

VBM has a website, but I find thier printed resources to be even more helpful.

Best,
David Beckett
Thanks a million Dave!!! I checked out their web and will be contacting them immediately...this looks like just what I needed to find the names of companies....and thanks to the rest here for your hospitality....keep it coming as I'll take any and all info I can find!

seanpecor....yeah we are staying away from the south as we want to avoid the heat and humidity....we and our greater swiss mountain dog like the northeast (ME,NH,VT) and the cooler/colder weather!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:32 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,166,463 times
Hey pistolpete300, I understand. One thing to keep in mind about Blacksburg, VA is the cooler weather relative to the rest of VA. It's on a 2,000' plateau on the eastern continental divide. That and some other topographical issues create a climate that feels more like Cape Cod weather. For example, it very very rarely gets above the high eighties during summer. The humidity is also lower than the rest of Virginia. I actually remember it getting hotter in Vermont during the peak of summer than it did in Blacksburg. Winters have more snow in Blacksburg than you'd expect also. Basically, to this Vermonter, it felt like winter set in about a month later and ended about a month earlier. Compare that to where we are now in Boones Mill, VA , where summer temperatures are often 90+ and you only have a handful of winter days when it doesn't rise above freezing.

Still, it sure ain't New England We're moving back to the Middlebury area once we sell our property here.

Sean

Old 02-10-2008, 01:08 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,772,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete300 View Post
Thanks a million Dave!!! I checked out their web and will be contacting them immediately...this looks like just what I needed to find the names of companies....and thanks to the rest here for your hospitality....keep it coming as I'll take any and all info I can find!

seanpecor....yeah we are staying away from the south as we want to avoid the heat and humidity....we and our greater swiss mountain dog like the northeast (ME,NH,VT) and the cooler/colder weather!
You're very welcome. VBM is one of the last magazine subscriptions I'd cancel if I decided to whittle the recycling pile down to a manageable size.

David Beckett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont