U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:59 AM

24 posts, read 96,364 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Vermont within the next two months. We were wondering if anyone could offer us up some information and/or opinions on the differences and pros/cons of Burlington vs. Montpelier.

As some background. He is in computers, I am a photographer/artist looking to open my own studio sometime in the future. We are both very outdoorsy people, who would like to live somewhere where we enjoy being outside as much as inside. We hike, kayak, camp, the works - and would like to be relatively close to it all.

If moving to Burlington, we'd like to stay out of the actual city and be more suburb-y. I've read that Montpelier's population is significantly lower - does that also mean it's harder to find employment?

Also, we know Burlington is very dog friendly, we do have a dog - is Montpelier the same way?

Thank you SO much, in advance, for any info given!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,765,535 times
Montpelier only has about 8000 people. Burlington has approx 40,000, with another 75K or so in the "metro area". Good jobs are hard to come by. What kind of computer work would your bf be looking for? Have him check out GE Healthcare in South Burlington.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 PM

I read - on city-data - that Montpelier had approx 10k people, which is about the size of the town I live in now inb Pennsylvania, and I like it very much - however if you want a job here, 95% of the people have to drive elsewhere. Is it like that there?

He is currently a computer tech and a free lance mason, so he can basically do anything.

We don't need "good jobs" we're not looking to move to VT to strike it rich, we just want to make enough to enjoy life and pay rent.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,765,535 times
There are lots of state jobs in Montpelier as its the capital. I'd check out the State's website - Vermont.gov - to see what is available. Barre, next door, may have some other options such as the hospital (Central Vermont Medical Center). Lots of folks do commute to the Burlington area and/or Waterbury.
Barre/Montpelier have all your basic shopping needs such as supermarkets, WalMart, JCPEnney, etc. For a real mall you'd drive to Burlington.
As far as being outdoors, you can't go wrong in either place. One advantage to Burlington is the lake and it's great bike path system.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Default re-direction

I don't know that I'm really worried about getting jobs, I'm more worried about the quality of life between the two cities, and which one would fit our personalities better. I am looking for opinions on either city, which one is liked more, the reasons, etc...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,876,147 times
How much or how little we like a town is so personal. Of the two cities, I think I prefer Montpelier. (And I lived in Guilford, much farther South, but have spent considerable time in both Montpelier and Burlington).

Montpelier is less congested, has more of a small town feeling to it; some good restaurants but nothing compared to Burlington. Montpelier is probably less expensive in many ways, and appears to have a more middle class feel than the urban-college town feel of Burlington.

Montpelier's downstown is totally walkable and most of the services that are important to me, i.e., books, cafes (coffee), art supply store, small clothiers are all close together and easy to access.

One of the problems, however, I found in both cities, is limited parking.

As far as jobs are concerned, I would wager they are about even in securing employment but that the opportunities vary.

Just some personal thoughts, but by no means a recommendation.

Good luck in making your decision. I think overall Vermont is one of the best states to live in: if you can find your way and a means to support yourself.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Thanks for your opinion Ontheroad - this kind of info is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Personal or not

Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,135 times
I agree with ontheroad on all counts, including finding Montpelier to have more small-town charm. I differ in one area: I've been in Montpelier on weekdays, weekends, days, and nights, and I've never had difficulties parking there. If I wanted to pull up right in front of a specific downtown business I might, but I usually just park on Elm Street (free parking -- no meters) and walk a few short blocks to wherever I'm going.

Burlington is another story. I've found that parking can be easy or hellish, depending on where one needs to be.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,876,147 times
It is probably because I was spoiled in Brattleboro that I thought Montpelier was a parking challenge. But compared to Burlington a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I agree with ontheroad on all counts, including finding Montpelier to have more small-town charm. I differ in one area: I've been in Montpelier on weekdays, weekends, days, and nights, and I've never had difficulties parking there. If I wanted to pull up right in front of a specific downtown business I might, but I usually just park on Elm Street (free parking -- no meters) and walk a few short blocks to wherever I'm going.

Burlington is another story. I've found that parking can be easy or hellish, depending on where one needs to be.

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-15-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 04:25 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
It is probably because I was spoiled in Brattleboro than I thought Montpelier was a parking challenge. But compared to Burlington a breeze.
It's funny you should say that! I find parking in Brattleboro challenging at times. But as you say, it's nothing compared to Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont