U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 05:54 PM

4,702 posts, read 3,139,973 times

Advertisements

It has been a long time since I have lived in the Bratt area. There used to be a good vegetarian restaurant there-The Common Ground. Don't know if it is still open. There also used to be a nude beach in Newfane-don't know if it is still there or not.

As for your animals, it depends on where you want to live. If you rent, the landlord may have a thing or two to say. If you buy a place, I would recommend buying a place outside the town. There are tons of little towns around-Dummerston, Vernon, Newfane, Guilford, etc. Be warned, Vernon is where Vermont Yankee still is-even though it is off-line, there is still issues.

I would buy a bit of land in these smaller towns for under $100K (or even a house) and either build a little house or get a trailer-you can have your chickens & goats. You can also heat with wood-which many people do.

I have lived in Vermont for decades now and never really had to deal with guns. If you do buy land, make sure you put up posted signs so hunters won't go on your land.

The biggest challenge will using the bicycle year round.

BTW, I'm Wiccan, too.

Cat

Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 PM

7 posts, read 6,680 times
Cat,

Mweo! Let's get together and scissor! ha! I've lived in Idaho so long, I have almost become straight!

Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 PM

7 posts, read 6,680 times
I have a net worth of about $300.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:48 AM

809 posts, read 670,153 times
Get a trike or a quad, and you'll be able to bicycle year 'round without fear of the ice. Brand-new quads start at about $450. Trikes are pricier, because they tend to look pretty cool. You will want to be off the streets when the snowplows are out-- they're like big flyswatters. You probably already know about layering for cold and/or rainy weather. You'll probably find 15 below will be your lower limit for biking. Mount a headlight in flasher mode as a taillight. Drivers will definitely notice you at a safe distance.

On your budget, you'll probably want to check out intentional living situations. The Vermont Workers Center has a field office in Brattleboro, and they will have all sorts of social and political leads for you in that regard. Check their website for the contact info.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:33 AM

4,618 posts, read 1,308,674 times
Is everyone in Brattleboro that nutty? It seems like a nice area, but would libertarian leaning individuals be made to feel welcome?

Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 PM

809 posts, read 670,153 times
Libertarian? You want New Hampshire, not Vermont. Vermonters in general enjoy being part of a community, giving a little of themselves to make everything a little better in some way for everybody. Libertarians can't stand it here.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:06 AM

13,614 posts, read 7,220,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Libertarian? You want New Hampshire, not Vermont. Vermonters in general enjoy being part of a community, giving a little of themselves to make everything a little better in some way for everybody. Libertarians can't stand it here.
There isn't much difference between the rural parts of Vermont and the rural parts of New Hampshire. Vermont politics is dominated by Chittenden County and a few of the higher population towns with higher population density and a large fraction of non-native residents from NYC tri-state and southern New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or