U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,103,083 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest the same thing to you as I do to anyone moving to the Upper Valley... rent for the first year.

This is a very diverse area of small, medium, and large towns and each has their own tenor and tone, pluses and minuses, tax rates and school options. You will do yourself the best service renting in a central location and exploring the area and finding out which one of these towns best suits you and your needs before plunking your house-buying money.

Also, I would start surfing the local real estate sites to get an idea of what $150k will buy you here... and more specifically, what (and where) it won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 12:54 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,026,173 times
Quechee has a lot of housing options but the fees preclude use by any but second-home-owners or the wealthy. In addition to HOA or condo fees, there are amenities fees for QLLA, COMPULSORY. So you can buy a condo for under $100K, but after 10 years you will have spent another $100K on fees and taxes, that you can never get back. This in addition to your mortgage payment of course.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:01 AM

10,282 posts, read 11,176,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Quechee has a lot of housing options but the fees preclude use by any but second-home-owners or the wealthy. In addition to HOA or condo fees, there are amenities fees for QLLA, COMPULSORY. So you can buy a condo for under $100K, but after 10 years you will have spent another $100K on fees and taxes, that you can never get back. This in addition to your mortgage payment of course.
Is it the case that there is no residential real estate available in Quechee that is not part of an association? I'm surprised to hear that.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:28 AM

168 posts, read 186,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is it the case that there is no residential real estate available in Quechee that is not part of an association? I'm surprised to hear that.
No, there are many parcels in Quechee outside of the association, esp. in "downtown" Quechee (near the bridge and Simon Pearce) and heading north from their towards West Hartford.

(And keep in mind that neither Quechee nor West Hartford are actually separate towns, so there's not necessarily a hard-and-fast rule on their 'boundaries'.)

Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 AM

13,752 posts, read 7,292,443 times
Much of Vermont is served by Comcast. If you are in the Comcast footprint, you have excellent broadband internet service. Just beware that since Vermont is so rural, Comcast in a town doesn't mean they have service at the house you're considering buying.

Vermont Telephone/VTEL has been wiring up fiber in their footprint. I have a VTEL ONT on an outside wall and Comcast cable service. Apples vs apples, I think Comcast is a bit better because their service bundle is a bit cheaper than VTEL. Unless you're streaming multiple 4K videos or you're a gamer, you don't need gigabit broadband.

Comcast may be the evil profit grabbing corporation but they provide the same service quality in a rural place like Vermont as everywhere else in the country. Compare that to the northern New England telephone company hairball Verizon hacked up and sold to Fairpoint. If you're in the VTEL footprint and want to give your business to the small nimble local phone company instead of the monster corporation, by all means do so. Most Vermonters are stuck with Fairpoint with Stone Age-level DSL for internet not much better than two tin cans and a string.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:01 AM

369 posts, read 295,714 times
My parents lived for years in Hartland off the quechee-hartland road. It is a tiny Vermont town, very rural, but it seemed like a pretty good location. They were midway between rt4 (quechee, woodstock) and 91 which has an exit in Hartland. West Lebanon is the main town shopping area but Hartland does have a decent general store. Quechee is a couple miles away. Quite a bit of money is located in quechee they have a "club" of some type. Condos, golf, skiing and such. I went there for dinner once. They have some tourists stuff too. A glass blowing place, Hot Air Balloon fest, Quechee gorge. A big Antique Mall with a cheesy train running around it. Not generally what I would look for but it has brought in a lot of tourist and retirement money so it looks quite prosperous. My parents eventually found that they were in Woodstock all the time for work and social events. It ended up being their "town" so they eventually moved there. Very pretty, but very expensive. Most of the money in Vermont is in very small spaces. If you like the look wealth provides, but can't afford the house on a particular street, you can usually live just a mile up the road.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:40 AM

371 posts, read 394,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
My parents lived for years in Hartland off the quechee-hartland road. It is a tiny Vermont town, very rural, but it seemed like a pretty good location. They were midway between rt4 (quechee, woodstock) and 91 which has an exit in Hartland. West Lebanon is the main town shopping area but Hartland does have a decent general store. Quechee is a couple miles away. Quite a bit of money is located in quechee they have a "club" of some type. Condos, golf, skiing and such. I went there for dinner once. They have some tourists stuff too. A glass blowing place, Hot Air Balloon fest, Quechee gorge. A big Antique Mall with a cheesy train running around it. Not generally what I would look for but it has brought in a lot of tourist and retirement money so it looks quite prosperous. My parents eventually found that they were in Woodstock all the time for work and social events. It ended up being their "town" so they eventually moved there. Very pretty, but very expensive. Most of the money in Vermont is in very small spaces. If you like the look wealth provides, but can't afford the house on a particular street, you can usually live just a mile up the road.
I love that Antique Mall in Quechee (the one with the train; there is another near the covered bridge). It's huge and a fun place to poke around. There's all kinds of stuff there.

My son loved that train when he was little. We used to have breakfast at the diner, let the kiddies ride the train and then browse the mall. Plenty of locals visit the area as well as tourists!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM

180 posts, read 496,474 times
Thank you all so much for the advice! I personally like the look and sound of Randolph the most, but my husband seems to like Woodstock more. You all are right that the housing costs are wildly different between the two! A house of 1 acre seems impossible at 150k in Woodstock, but probably doable in Randolph.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that Quechee is mostly covered by homeowner's associations. Anyone happen to know of a map that shows the covered areas?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:41 PM

371 posts, read 394,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Thank you all so much for the advice! I personally like the look and sound of Randolph the most, but my husband seems to like Woodstock more. You all are right that the housing costs are wildly different between the two! A house of 1 acre seems impossible at 150k in Woodstock, but probably doable in Randolph.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that Quechee is mostly covered by homeowner's associations. Anyone happen to know of a map that shows the covered areas?
I don't know of any map but any listing that includes 'QLLA' is one to avoid. That's the Quechee Lakes Landowners Association. The fees are outrageous. If you see a condo listed in Quechee in your price range, then it's a QLLA property.

You won't find any house in Woodstock for $150k, let alone one with any land, unless it's in complete disrepair. That budget won't be easy to work with in Randolph either. Hartland might be a possibility but again, your budget won't go far. If you are willing to go for an older, fixer-upper, you will have more choices.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 PM

180 posts, read 496,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I don't know of any map but any listing that includes 'QLLA' is one to avoid. That's the Quechee Lakes Landowners Association. The fees are outrageous.
Wow, you are so right! Those fees are ridiculous. I saw some at $400 monthly? Assuming the fees never increase (not likely), that's almost $150k over the life of the mortgage. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont