Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:20 PM

63 posts, read 99,523 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm in the final stages of an interview process for a position just outside of Rutland though only about 20 minutes away. Salary is workable but the perk is that housing is provided (detached home - all mine; it's in solid shape) so that salary will go pretty far.

All of this being said - I've never stepped foot in the state of Vermont! I'm from NC but presently living in Central NY.

How's things in and around Rutland? I'm in my early 30s so I imagine I'll spend some time traveling to Waterbury, Burlington, and the like.

My work has kept me from travelling out to see the area on my own, and my relocation there would more or less be a lateral transfer within the same company. So my location would change but not much else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 12:46 PM

150 posts, read 217,524 times
I lived south of Rutland for 40+ years before moving to SC last year. I had friends and did a lot of business in Rutland, so I know the city well.

I recommend, as strongly as possible, that you visit for at least several days BEFORE you move to Rutland, or anywhere neat it.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
I lived south of Rutland for 40+ years before moving to SC last year. I had friends and did a lot of business in Rutland, so I know the city well.

I recommend, as strongly as possible, that you visit for at least several days BEFORE you move to Rutland, or anywhere neat it.
I will be checking out the area and deciding if offered the transfer though what I can gather about the area is different from those that live in the area.

That said, I suspect by your inferred tone that you don't like the area?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:59 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
What is the town where your potential job is?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
What is the town where your potential job is?
Pittsford though the housing being provided is just south in Proctor.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
I live just below Rutland. The small towns and countryside surrounding Rutland are very nice. Folks tend to be low key in Vermont and the culture is mostly live and let live. Crime is low and life is pleasant here.

Rutland itself has some nice things going downtown, which is much larger than its population (16,000) might otherwise support given there is little in the way of shopping in this county outside of Rutland. It's got the big box type stores out on Rt 7 as well. The hospital is pretty big by VT standards and it is in Rutland that you'll find most medical services in this county.

Rutland City is in turmoil currently over a plan to start bringing Syrian refugees in starting late this year. This is one family every other week roughly. It came about from a unilateral decision on the part of the Mayor to invite them in without consulting the people who live in Rutland, let alone the surrounding communities. The pro and con sides of this are slugging it out in the school of public opinion. It has divided the city. Some see only good things coming from this, others only bad.

That said I would not let that debate stop you from coming here. There is little in the way of apartments and pretty much no public housing outside of Rutland City and so it is not likely this will impact any of the surrounding towns to any significant degree.

By the way, Proctor is a very pretty little town. The marble structures there are wonderful. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Depends on what you like. Proctor and Pittsford are very small towns with not much going on. People who do well here tend to like outdoor sports as we have a lot of hiking/biking trails and ski areas. Nightlife is fairly limited as is shopping unless you travel a bit.
What we do have comparatively speaking is low crime, low stress living with some of the best beer in the nation within easy driving distance. The Paramount gets some decent entertainment and there is always live music around somewhere.
Winters can be challenging if you don't like cold or snow. It would help if you could give us an idea of what you look for in a new place.

Cheers!

Old 07-15-2016, 12:19 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I live in the Rutland area-but not in Rutland. We go there to do shopping, maybe catch a show at the Paramount, go to the eye doctor, etc.

As with any city/town, there are pros & cons. IMO, Rutland has more pros than cons.

I have only driven through Pittsford & Proctor but both seem like nice little towns.

Cat

Old 07-16-2016, 10:11 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Rutland has a heroin problem and a poverty problem but you'll be isolated from any property crime issues in Proctor. That's the obvious con to Rutland.

Rutland has a pulse. The Paramount Theater is a real gem with a steady stream of events. The restaurant scene is quite good considering Rutland County only has 60,000 people. There's the Vermont State Fair in August and some other events worth checking out at the fairground. You probably want to take up skiing/snowboarding if you don't do that already. A season pass at Pico is very affordable and that's only 20 minutes away. You can get involved in the Pico or Killington ambassador program and get a free pass. The summer outdoors activities are endless. Any 30-something has a kayak on the roof of their car. There are 15-20,000 people at Killington on winter weekends and that drives a big nightlife scene if you're looking for that.

Some aspects of Rutland are no more than adequate. Health care is one of those. The local hospital is OK for something minor but for anything serious, you're going to Burlington or Dartmouth-Hitchcock. Retail is a bit limited. Walmart and Home Depot. You'll likely do occasional big box store retail trips to tax-free West Lebanon, NH.

I'm not a 30-something so I really can't comment on how easy it is to get plugged into the community and establish a social life. I imagine it's like anywhere else in the Northeast.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:24 PM

150 posts, read 217,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balatro View Post
I will be checking out the area and deciding if offered the transfer though what I can gather about the area is different from those that live in the area.

That said, I suspect by your inferred tone that you don't like the area?
It's not as simple as "don't like the area." Certainly, you should spend some time in any new place in which you intend to live; re: Rutland, well, it's tough town with a great deal of crime, neglect and a general fraying of the social fabric. This is the situation in many towns in VT, but Rutland is, sadly, among the worst.

Proctor is a nice small town. Do you want to live in a very small, semi-isolated town where you don't know anyone? If you do, you'll probably like it.

I'm not intending to bash Rutland. As I wrote earlier, I had friends there and many clients. There were some things I liked (Pinehill Park--which goes all the way to Proctor now, the indoor tennis courts/gym, and some good restaurants; I don't ski, but Goeff in his earlier post mentioned Pico and Killington). Take a visit and decide for yourself.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont