U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:07 AM

13,657 posts, read 7,230,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're equating college education with 21st century job skills.

And college in Syria as being the same as college in the U.S.

Certainly not the case in both situations. Besides, 39% of Syrians have a college degree or higher, which is higher than the U.S. population.

What makes you think Syrian speaking teachers will be needed?

Where do you get the big pile of special needs students from?
Citation for that random 39% number you pulled out of thin air, please. That does not align with anything I've ever read about Syrians already in the US and it certainly doesn't align with what Europe is seeing.

A student shows up at a public school not speaking a word of English. By definition, that is a special needs student. In southern New England, that student costs about $30,000 per year. You have to hire teachers who speak that language. The teacher-student ratio is extremely low. Where is Vermont going to find Arabic-fluent teachers with anything remotely resembling normal requirements for an ESL special ed teacher? How do you propose to pay for it? Yet another Act 68 property tax hike?

Old 08-05-2016, 10:25 AM

809 posts, read 670,633 times
"A person who speaks three languages we call 'trilingual.' A person who speaks two languages we call 'bilingual.' A person who speaks one language we call 'American.'

I'd be very careful about equating college education abroad with college education in America. As English is a world language, most countries take steps to ensure their students are at least bilingual. Most languages allow most people to get by with a vocabulary of 500 words or so. As the inventor of the automotive transmission put it, "Brutale, mais ca marche." Brutish, but it works.

I think you'd have a different opinion about Syrian (or any mid-East) refugees if you understood they have experienced and why it happened to them.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 AM

13,657 posts, read 7,230,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
I think you'd have a different opinion about Syrian (or any mid-East) refugees if you understood they have experienced and why it happened to them.
So where is the clamor to let in the hundreds of millions of African refugees who have endured worse conditions for decades?

If you want to personally support every poor person in the world, have at it. Just don't demand that the rest of us pay for it. There are 4 billion of them. Most live in extremely oppressive conditions. Just because Syrian refugees are flavor of the week in the news doesn't mean the United States should throw open the borders to those 4 billion people. We do a lousy job dealing with our own poor.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So where is the clamor to let in the hundreds of millions of African refugees who have endured worse conditions for decades?

If you want to personally support every poor person in the world, have at it. Just don't demand that the rest of us pay for it. There are 4 billion of them. Most live in extremely oppressive conditions. Just because Syrian refugees are flavor of the week in the news doesn't mean the United States should throw open the borders to those 4 billion people. We do a lousy job dealing with our own poor.
Well, we wouldn't be faced with the problem of refugees from the Middle East if we hadn't created the conditions that they are trying to escape. As for Africa, you might want to read "King Leopold's Ghost" to see how a continent that had populations living as well as anybody else in the world descended into worse conditions in many of its present-day countries.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:15 PM

2,772 posts, read 988,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Syrians are one of the most highly educated and skilled refugee groups the world has ever seen.
Then why is the justification of their coming here based on there being minimum wage jobs that they can fill? Why are most refugees still on welfare benefits 5 years after arrival, and by welfare I mean food stamps, Medicaid, housing subsidies etc? If they were highly skilled, they could instead just come in for high tech jobs under the H1B program.

If the far left thinks these folks are going to be self supporting, then why can't they just look to personally sponsor them rather than look for the rest of us to take on the burden? I know why. It is because they know that most of these folks will never be self supporting.

Ignoring the economic aspect of this, do you pay attention to what is happening in Europe as a result of the onslaught of refugees who cannot and will not assimilate? Why do we want to bring that here too?

Old 08-11-2016, 05:44 AM

2,772 posts, read 988,899 times
Here is another way to look at it Arab & African Muslims coming here. I support women's rights. They do not, and will not. I support LGBT rights. They do not, and will not. Jews have been part of Rutland County for 200 years. They are an integral part of the fabric of our community. I support their being able to live here in peace and safety. Muslims do not, and will not. Tell me again why we want to bring people here from a culture that is incompatible with Western society.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 AM

When anybody finds out that living in America is superior to what they've experienced, they are very likely to subordinate their philosophical/religious mindset to their secular mindset in order to continue to enjoy their improved quality of life. Thus, we now have Mormons, who used to be a persecuted minority, staffing the FBI; Christians teaching evolution in the public schools and Arab-Americans employed as translators in the CIA. People need to get over the notion that the Irish came to America to undermine it, that the Jews came as part of the machinations of the Elders of Zion or that Africans willingly submitted to slavery in order to miscegenate.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 AM

35,331 posts, read 24,932,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post

If the far left thinks these folks are going to be self supporting, then why can't they just look to personally sponsor them rather than look for the rest of us to take on the burden? I know why. It is because they know that most of these folks will never be self supporting.
Same old BS talking points long long discredited. And I love the constant ignoring of how WE, the U.S., is largely to blame for creating these refugees.

Lets make a deal, I stop supporting your wars on foreign lands and people that are no threat to me and keep that money, you stop supporting social services for people in need. You pay for your wars, I'll pay for the social services.

The social services take almost no money in comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
When anybody finds out that living in America is superior to what they've experienced, they are very likely to subordinate their philosophical/religious mindset to their secular mindset in order to continue to enjoy their improved quality of life. Thus, we now have Mormons, who used to be a persecuted minority, staffing the FBI; Christians teaching evolution in the public schools and Arab-Americans employed as translators in the CIA. People need to get over the notion that the Irish came to America to undermine it, that the Jews came as part of the machinations of the Elders of Zion or that Africans willingly submitted to slavery in order to miscegenate.
Very true. It often takes a few generations, but that is perfectly fine.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:18 AM

4,707 posts, read 3,142,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Here is another way to look at it Arab & African Muslims coming here. I support women's rights. They do not, and will not. I support LGBT rights. They do not, and will not. Jews have been part of Rutland County for 200 years. They are an integral part of the fabric of our community. I support their being able to live here in peace and safety. Muslims do not, and will not. Tell me again why we want to bring people here from a culture that is incompatible with Western society.

That is the same argument as to why people posted "Irish need not apply" or "Whites only" or any other bigoted slogan. I will say it, people are against Syrians coming here is because of bigotry. Plan and simple.

Let me ask you this Biker53, do you KNOW any Muslims? If you do not, how do you KNOW what they support or what they don't? Or are you just buying into the stereotyping you hear from right-wing media? Just because a handful of criminals who call themselves Muslims are nasty creatures does not mean that ALL Muslims are. I'm assuming by your user name that you are a motorcycle person. Many people think that because you have groups like Hell's Angels and other unsavory people who drive bikes, that ALL bikers are like that. I've heard it. Bikers are criminals, gang members, etc. We, of course know that is not true. But, it is the same thing. You can't make generalizations about entire groups of people. When you do, it makes you look ignorant and bigoted.

Cat

Old 08-11-2016, 01:01 PM

16,933 posts, read 22,179,040 times
We need to look out for our own citizens' best interests and not let emotions drive us. The cold hard truth is that a percentage of these refugees will really be radicals, or will become radicals. That's simply fact as proven around the western world in recent years. Without being able to screen out in full the dangerous people we should not be letting any in. My life and the lives of my friends and my family are more valuable to me than a desire to help the needy. At some point we need to tell people to fix their own homes instead of inviting everyone in. This has nothing to do with race or such.

And frankly bringing them to Rutland may be setting them up for failure anyways. There aren't enough good opportunities there for residents, what makes anyone think things will go well for the newcomers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or