U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM

809 posts, read 672,154 times

Advertisements

Well, we healthy old farts have no problem with Springfield. I'll have to look up the vital statistics to see the age distribution of us retirees in Springfield. I wonder if this "bleeding out" is something my kids knew about when they bought me this house here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 03:20 PM

371 posts, read 394,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Well, we healthy old farts have no problem with Springfield. I'll have to look up the vital statistics to see the age distribution of us retirees in Springfield. I wonder if this "bleeding out" is something my kids knew about when they bought me this house here...
It's not just Springfield, but any small hospital. They cannot keep an adequate supply of blood components for emergency situations that require transfusion. They don't have the volume of surgery or emergency situations to warrant it. Blood components have short expiry dates. You wouldn't want to have any surgery that may require transfusion in any of the smaller hospitals. I recall a woman that had a C-section at Springfield that went wrong, who was coptered to us at DHMC and barely survived after massive transfusion of every component you can think of (red cells, plasma, platelets). They couldn't handle it at Springfield, nor would they have been able to handle it at Gifford or Copley or any of the smaller hospitals. A retired person needs to seriously consider proximity to quality medical care if they are contemplating a move.

As far as the lab goes, I have seen some serious errors at Springfield that (if not caught by an alert tech) would have resulted in a patient's death. Transfusion medicine is serious stuff, and making a mistake can jeopardize the life of a patient. I'm not saying that these errors could not occur at DHMC; what I am saying is that there are certain checks implemented at DHMC that makes these kinds of mistakes far less likely. There is a reason that DHMC is the reference lab for the region.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:28 PM

536 posts, read 627,320 times
I have used internet evaluations of local hospitals and have found them to be very helpful when thinking about medical care options where I live in FL.

It's what I will do also as I narrow down my possible places to move in New England. Google is our friend when it comes to hospital rankings, because anecdotes and generalizations, whether favorable or bad, are not reliable guides to overall quality. Websites can help, too.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:36 PM

34 posts, read 26,741 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the Vermont Dept. of Health, which has hospital comparisons and ratings. Springfield (25 beds, very small, right?) was rated overall below average. You can break it down by health types, which I didn't find helpful because I don't have any chronic conditions. Surprisingly, the Univ. of Vermont hospital in Burlington (562 beds) was also rated below average. Consumer Reports has ratings, but they're often incomplete. Anyway, thanks to ladyalicemore for pointing out the resources.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:42 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,139 times
I come from NYC with a plethora of highly rated hospitals...last summer my husband had to go to UVM hospital in Burlington due to an emergency which, unbeknownst to me at the time, was actually life threatening. We got there at 4 in the morning on a Friday, he stayed through the weekend and checked out on Monday afternoon. We were in the ER, in ICU and then in a regular room. I cannot even begin to describe the amazing care he received there. Everyone was so professional, kind and caring. Each time a new test result came back, we got a full explanation of what was happening, why, etc. On top of all of that, the food was incredible - a lot of it locally grown, and it tasted great (I tried some of it ha).

On the flip side, my mother ended up in the hospital in NY this past winter, again in ER, ICU and a regular room, and it was one of the worst experiences ever. She was there for over a week. Trying to speak to someone and get a straight answer was nearly impossible. No one knew anything. The food was so horrible she barely ate. Yes, it's a highly rated hospital with cutting edge care, but if I ever need to be hospitalized, I'll choose Vermont over NYC any day of the week. It might not be the best rated hospital, but there is a lot more involved in medical care than numbers.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:45 PM

371 posts, read 394,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
On the flip side, my mother ended up in the hospital in NY this past winter, again in ER, ICU and a regular room, and it was one of the worst experiences ever. She was there for over a week. Trying to speak to someone and get a straight answer was nearly impossible. No one knew anything. The food was so horrible she barely ate. Yes, it's a highly rated hospital with cutting edge care, but if I ever need to be hospitalized, I'll choose Vermont over NYC any day of the week. It might not be the best rated hospital, but there is a lot more involved in medical care than numbers.
I can certainly relate to your mom's experience. I too lived the majority of my life in NYC and dreaded any trip to the hospital! I'm glad your husband received good care at UVM.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:48 PM

34 posts, read 26,741 times
Default still plan to retire in Vt.

Spent a wonderful 2 weeks in Vermont (an overdue vacation). Stumbled into a for-sale-by-owner open house in Bradford. Really like the house (and the owner is a musician who filled me in on the active music scene around there). Bradford looks like a nice town--several good restaurants, a book store, library, and Farm Way, like LL Bean on steroids. If the house is still available after I sell my house in Baltimore, I'll make an offer. If it isn't, I know that there's a lot of real estate up there that is well within my price range.

Bradford is about a half-hour from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and a lot of cultural amenities. The beauty and pace of life is very attractive (I'm a writer and not looking to be entertained, except maybe by the scenery, hiking, snowshoeing, etc.). Taxes are an issue; the property tax rate is about the same as it is in Baltimore (outrageous). But housing is about half the cost. So it's a trade-off I'll need to consider. I don't mind paying taxes if I get something in return. Another budget consideration is Medicare. With the new administration in DC, it's a safe bet that Medicare and other health costs will climb even higher. It's a consideration wherever I move,though. Thanks again to the folks who responded to my original query.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:43 PM

15,273 posts, read 5,135,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwriter View Post
Vermont, where we've vacationed for 40 years, is at the top of our list for retiring next year. We're coming for 2 weeks in October to narrow our location search (and will rent for a year before we buy). We've been lurking on this forum for months and been impressed by the generosity of the responses. What we'd like are recommendations for good places in Vermont for retirees (not retirement communities). We're active and enjoy the outdoors and cold weather. Our combined income will be around 60K, which rules out Burlington and the ski areas (which is fine). Our interests include amateur music (playing in community orchestra and theater), arts and crafts, hiking, cycling, snowshoeing, birding, and XC skiing. We're in our mid-60s, so living within an hour of decent medical services is important. We've researched housing on Zillow and, frankly, the prices in Springfield and St. Johnsbury (just to pick 2) are incredible--too good to be true? (we want modest, but decent housing; in-town is okay, on the edge of town on a wooded lot is even better). That said, we'd like to keep it under $200K, which looks doable (unless all those places are dumps, and we know online listings can be misleading). We've read the back-and-forths on this forum about Vermont's taxes, gloomy weather and social problems (heroin being one). We live in Baltimore, pay $10K in property tax/year, and as far as squalor--well, Baltimore. Our list so far includes Brattleboro, Montpelier and St. Johnsbury (we've never been to the NEK). One last thing: internet. Don't need gigabyte speed, but at least serviceable (Baltimore has terrible internet speeds, so our standards are low). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
With all due respect but you have been vacationing in Vermont for Forty years and you have no idea of as to where to go or taxes ???I don't understand?

Old 11-22-2016, 10:30 AM

809 posts, read 672,154 times
G1.., that's the problem with vacationing-- the tourist only sees the surface.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:18 AM

13,713 posts, read 7,271,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwriter View Post
Spent a wonderful 2 weeks in Vermont (an overdue vacation). Stumbled into a for-sale-by-owner open house in Bradford. Really like the house (and the owner is a musician who filled me in on the active music scene around there). Bradford looks like a nice town--several good restaurants, a book store, library, and Farm Way, like LL Bean on steroids. If the house is still available after I sell my house in Baltimore, I'll make an offer. If it isn't, I know that there's a lot of real estate up there that is well within my price range.

Bradford is about a half-hour from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and a lot of cultural amenities. The beauty and pace of life is very attractive (I'm a writer and not looking to be entertained, except maybe by the scenery, hiking, snowshoeing, etc.). Taxes are an issue; the property tax rate is about the same as it is in Baltimore (outrageous). But housing is about half the cost. So it's a trade-off I'll need to consider. I don't mind paying taxes if I get something in return. Another budget consideration is Medicare. With the new administration in DC, it's a safe bet that Medicare and other health costs will climb even higher. It's a consideration wherever I move,though. Thanks again to the folks who responded to my original query.
You need to plug in your income numbers for property taxes. The tax bill is split between muni taxes (roads, police, fire) and the Act 68 state school tax. The state school tax part is means tested. Your tax rate might not be as high as you think. The homestead school tax rate in Bradford is 1.367%. I imagine the muni part is about 0.6% but a call to the town clerk would give you that.

Link to by-town school tax rates for 2017: Fiscal Year 2017 Education Property Tax Rates | Department of Taxes

You're 30 minutes from the West Lebanon big box stores so your food/retail shopping costs will be in line with anywhere else in the country with the bonus that there is no sales tax. The main thing that will be different is energy costs. Oil/propane can be costly to heat your house. Most people run a wood stove to control their heating costs. Electricity is expensive by national standards. Your plowing bill can be big some years. Well and septic system can occasionally get expensive like anywhere rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or