U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 12:41 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,750,189 times

Advertisements

A few years ago my wife and I visited Vermont (actually all 6 NE states). We loved it. Vermont was incredible with its endless rural green, beautiful mountainous areas, and quaint towns. We both agreed that we'd try to live there (or New Hampshire) at some point.

In 2014 we found out we were having a kid, and we immediately knew we didn't want to raise him in Utah. Both of us began sending out resumes to New England in search of work. Nothing. When he was born, I began expanding my radius when he was born. New York City, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and I immediately began to get interview requests. We ended up in Detroit and, surprisingly, it's been a wonderful experience. (Seriously, Detroit is not at all what the media makes it out to be.) We like our community, she also found work and now we both enjoy our work here. Plus, if not for the endless sprawl, it would be as green as New England! Due to various factors we've decided to stay for a while and decide if it's home forever or if we still want to move to New England sometime at the end of the decade, so I guess right now I'm just dreaming, but nothing wrong with learning way before the fact, right? I love the old timey, rustic and laid back feel of Northern New England. There's nothing like that in the city, which is unfortunately all I've ever known (LA, SLC, Detroit).

I'd imagine when we begin to consider New England again we'll be Mid-30s and have a 4 and a 6 year old. So, what's that like? I know Vermont is rural, but are there many museums? (We visited Montshire, very cool) zoos? community sports? Do kids who grow up in Vermont have a positive opinion of their hometowns? Is teenage-meth use really the problem the media makes it out to be?

How affordable is it? Neither of us are high income earners. We do well enough to not worry about money (in the Midwest, at least), but we've never made six digits, so private schools and large estates aren't really on the agenda - speaking of which, I assume public schools are quality, yes? Are you/did you raise a family there? Would you do it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 05:14 PM

809 posts, read 672,154 times
I was a single parent of a five-year-old when I moved to Vermont. It was easy to connect with the parents of my kid's schoolmates, and he benefited tremendously, as did I. Our circle of support expanded greatly as a result of learning more about effective parenting through the local Parent-Child Center: we all discovered the lingua franca of parenting is really universal. So, we learned to keep in touch to make sure our kids kept out of trouble. You probably have the same thing going in Detroit.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 PM

10,281 posts, read 11,166,011 times
I think Vermont is a great place to raise a family. I think your idea is a little off, though, because most of the state, and most of the population, lives in settings that I would characterize less as rural and more as small town. I live in Montpelier, which, at 8,000, is the least populous capital city in the country. (And, in my view, the best place to live in Vermont.)

My wife and I moved here in 1983 when she was 7 1/2 months pregnant, so my two sons completely grew up here. You can find everything you say you're looking for. Science, art, history, nature museums. year-round youth sports (even if you aren't interested in skiing or hockey!). Good schools--not everywhere, but there are plenty of towns with excellent schools. Community schools with a community feel--we still have the picture of our oldest son and his six kindergarten classmates, five of whom he graduated from high school with (six because it was a multi-age class).

One of my sons came back after three years of college out of state, finished here in Vermont, and still loves living here with his wife and their daughter. The other is a professor who lives in Brooklyn and he loves coming back here.

Weather and the cost of living can be a challenge, but since you live in Detroit you already know what winter is. I would not recommend moving here without a job, but of course I've never quit a job in my life without having another job.

I lived in Michigan for a long time and I'm really glad about what's happening in Detroit now, but it really is true that Vermont is special.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:47 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,763,998 times
For us it is a fantastic place. I wouldn't want to do it anywhere else. Our experience with our local school so far has been fantastic. There is always something going on nearby whether it be festivals, open houses, free concerts etc. We are also outside A LOT. In the summer its visiting our local state parks, going for a hike bike ride, or at home in our "yard" (5 acres) or in the woods on the trails behind our house. In winter we are on the mountain downhill skiing or swimming at the indoor pool at our local fitness center.
There are also organized sports leagues if your kids are into those sports (soccer, basketball, baseball/softball etc).

Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 AM

809 posts, read 672,154 times
Just remember: the official state song is, "Moonlight in Vermont." The unofficial state song is, "Moonlight in Vermont-- Or Die." It might take you a couple of years to land the job you want, so be prepared for a possible slog.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 13,271,430 times
My grandchildren were born and raised in VT. They are unspoiled, appreciate the beauty that surrounds them, take pleasure in the outdoors, no matter what season, are respectful of others, realize the importance of helping in the community, have only been to a Toysrus twice in their lives and would rather go to a bookstore.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,101,777 times
Raising my kid here is a big thing that has kept me in the area despite the economic challenges and long winters.

Schools are generally very good, crime is low (yes, we have the same drug issues as everywhere else), and there's unlimited opportunities for outdoor recreation. Small towns let you actually get involved with the schools and your community and help to shape positive, fulfilling changes for your family.

We are contemplating moving somewhere warm and cheap at some point, but only after he leaves for college.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,750,189 times
These are all very positive opinions of Vermont. It makes me happy to hear that. I hadn't considered how it's much more of a small-town feel vs. a rural feel, but that's certainly something to consider if we ever look more seriously. I'm sure there are rural places, but small towns are great too. My current town is about 12 square miles and has 65,000 people. As you can probably imagine - having 5 acres to myself is a mind-blowing thought. As is the idea of being able to walk or bike from my town to nature.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 PM

10,281 posts, read 11,166,011 times
And just as a point of reference, Burlington, the biggest city in Vermont, is about 40,000.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:27 AM

26 posts, read 35,689 times
Default Worth the move.

We moved here after camping here for 5+ years every summer and the kids asking why we couldn't just stay.

It's been 5 years now, two of my boys are in high school in South Burlington (we live in the Champlain Islands and have school choice) and one is in sixth grade at our local K-8 school that has a total of 134 kids.

Museums can be found throughout the state, fairs, concerts, farmer's markets are all plentiful. As far as zoos go, look out your window and see the fauna.

Long term, I may be a snow bird and hit the Florida keys for a few months a year, but can't imagine ever leaving my little slice of heaven up here 26 miles from the Canadian border.

Best of luck to you and stay active on the forums so we know when you are coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont