U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 02:25 AM

25 posts, read 17,125 times

Advertisements

So I received an unexpected job offer in Richford, VT. I know nothing of the place and probably won't have the time to visit. In a nutshell, if possible, could anyone tell me about the place as in what I'm getting into?

1. Is this a completely isolated location?
2. Is there any form of public transportation at this location?
3. What is the quality of life in terms of thing to do in and around town?
4. Is housing easy to come by considering I will have to start out in an apartment for a while.
5. Any and all unsolicited advice welcome.

Last edited by Keep2; 10-01-2016 at 03:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 05:32 AM

546 posts, read 632,425 times
There is some discussion of Richford in the thread linked below. The poster "darky" loves it there!

Places for consideration

Old 10-01-2016, 05:46 AM

Thanks so much.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 AM

3,331 posts, read 8,786,426 times
Very isolated. One of the poorest towns in the state.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Is it reasonable to live say Swanson, St. Albans, Champlain, or Burlington and commute to Richford (especially in the winter)?

Old 10-01-2016, 07:46 PM

19,847 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep2 View Post
So I received an unexpected job offer in Richford, VT. I know nothing of the place and probably won't have the time to visit. In a nutshell, if possible, could anyone tell me about the place as in what I'm getting into?

1. Is this a completely isolated location?
2. Is there any form of public transportation at this location?
3. What is the quality of life in terms of thing to do in and around town?
4. Is housing easy to come by considering I will have to start out in an apartment for a while.
5. Any and all unsolicited advice welcome.
1. Y
2. N
4. ?
5:

I only know about Richford because I do genealogy and learned that two of my ancestors founded Richford. It's as far north as you can go without hitting Canada. It has a river. There are farms in Richford and a few little stores. A mountain called The Pinnacle separates Richford from Quebec. Many of the current residents are devout Seventh Day Adventists and they do have a social life amongst themselves--I don't know how they would act towards outsiders. The highlight of their year seems to be the annual picnic with the Seventh Day Adventists across the Canadian border.

From the reports of my now deceased relatives who lived there when they were kids, Richford is the definition of COLD. My late aunt's family used to own a general store there. She said that when her mother hung the sheets out to dry in winter, they would immediately freeze.

The last time I was there was this past November and I would never want to be there in winter. I went into a little general store and there was country music playing and a few locals were sitting at a counter, eating--that was about the busiest place in town. It's a pretty remote location. For me, I would not want to drive up in that part of Vermont in winter. Of course the locals usually have huge snowplows and big vehicles to get around in. I have one last relative up there who lives on a large farm. Seventh Day Adventist and works the land. They seem to be very politically conservative around Richford. I cannot imagine what sort of job offer you would have gotten in a place like Richford! Minister in the Methodist church? I'm serious. I just can't think of anything to do there. The locals seem to be self sufficient like old timers and I think they would fill the jobs--so I don't see a need for builders or developers. They seem to have enough locals to work on the farms and do the construction.

That said, it seems to be making a little comeback after its decline into absolute nothingness around the turn of the last century.
It would have to be a really good job for me to move way up there and nearly freeze to death for a good part of the year. And have absolutely nothing to do. (The general area is very beautiful during the short summer and is dairy country.)

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-02-2016 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-01-2016, 10:32 PM

17,886 posts, read 54,194,416 times
Swanson is a tv dinner. Swanton is a town.

I suppose you could commute from St. Albans. I'll put it this way though. The railroad once had a line from St. Albans to Richford. It broke. The railroad didn't bother to fix it.

Richford was interesting when Ball was lobbing stuff into the upper atmosphere. When he was killed by the Mosad, it became a lot less interesting. (His science was really good, a logical expansion on Jules Verne and "From the Earth to the Moon." His choice of sponsors... not so much.)

Old 10-02-2016, 09:23 AM

546 posts, read 632,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I cannot imagine what sort of job offer you would have gotten in a place like Richford! Minister in the Methodist church? I'm serious. I just can't think of anything to do there. The locals seem to be self sufficient like old timers and I think they would fill the jobs--so I don't see a need for builders or developers. They seem to have enough locals to work on the farms and do the construction.
I wondered about this, too. OP, just to make sure: Your offer is for Richford? (Not, for instance, Richmond?)

Old 10-02-2016, 07:24 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I cannot imagine what sort of job offer you would have gotten in a place like Richford! Minister in the Methodist church? I'm serious. I just can't think of anything to do there. The locals seem to be self sufficient like old timers and I think they would fill the jobs--so I don't see a need for builders or developers. They seem to have enough locals to work on the farms and do the construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I wondered about this, too. OP, just to make sure: Your offer is for Richford? (Not, for instance, Richmond?)
The OP started a thread in general US the other day and I asked the same question out of curiosity. OP said the job is for US customs.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 PM

17,886 posts, read 54,194,416 times
I think Richford would be one of those places that nobody would want as an assignment, hence the job offer there. The natives do creative things with tractors up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or