Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:11 PM

312 posts, read 354,548 times

Advertisements

Okay, that makes me feel better. I grew up in upstate NY, and, when we left for NC (which was the first time I'd ever lived anywhere else), I--literally, kept whining to my husband, "Why is it so bright...?" My sister, when she came to visit us in VA, complained the sun was "blinding." Lol. I didn't like all the sun when we first moved out of the northeast, but now I love it, and I'm not sure how the dark winters would affect me. Snowshoeing in the sun sounds good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 11:38 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
It's just cold to me. It took me a while to get used to the summer heat of North Carolina, but moving back up north was worse. Brrr.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:06 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Traffic - there is none in VT. I moved up here from MD (Wash DC area) 2+ years ago. There is no traffic. I now live next to an interstate. There is no traffic over night and very few cars during the day. And because we don't have hoards of people, you're so much more likely to bump into someone you know when you go out somewhere. Like the day I went to the farmers market and talked for awhile with someone new, and then saw her again that night at the 4th of July fireworks. Or last night when I went to see my grandson who was playing in a concert and ran into my next door neighbors there.

I discovered merino wool socks - the best! And all kinds of super warm under garments to keep me warm on a cold day. But I did discover that when the temp is less than 20 degrees, it takes the energy right out of me -- even short hops from house to car. The dog gets a very short walk on cold days. I'm very happy my new car has seat warmers.

As to the need for air conditioning in summer: my house has a window a/c unit built into the wall. I turn it on 3 or 4 afternoons each summer. Most times, fans are just fine. Some nights my summer quilt isn't enough to keep me warm so I pull an afghan over it.

But it is the most beautiful place I have ever lived. People are friendly. It's a good place to be.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:48 AM

150 posts, read 217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Oh, ain't that the truth...

Vermont is looking so very, very appealing this morning.

Maybe it's time to strap on my big girl snowshoes after all.
After living in VT the nearly the entirely of my life (and I'll be eligible for Medicare in less time than I'd like to admit), I moved south a year ago, where my quality of life (whatever that means) has improved significantly.

Although I will always love VT, and consider myself a product of all the good the state has to offer, it's become very hard to live there for many reasons. I do not wish to deter you from your urge to move to VT, but I strongly suggest you spend some time there, in several seasons, before you move. Best of luck.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Traffic - there is none in VT. I moved up here from MD (Wash DC area) 2+ years ago. There is no traffic. I now live next to an interstate. There is no traffic over night and very few cars during the day. And because we don't have hoards of people, you're so much more likely to bump into someone you know when you go out somewhere. Like the day I went to the farmers market and talked for awhile with someone new, and then saw her again that night at the 4th of July fireworks. Or last night when I went to see my grandson who was playing in a concert and ran into my next door neighbors there.

I discovered merino wool socks - the best! And all kinds of super warm under garments to keep me warm on a cold day. But I did discover that when the temp is less than 20 degrees, it takes the energy right out of me -- even short hops from house to car. The dog gets a very short walk on cold days. I'm very happy my new car has seat warmers.

As to the need for air conditioning in summer: my house has a window a/c unit built into the wall. I turn it on 3 or 4 afternoons each summer. Most times, fans are just fine. Some nights my summer quilt isn't enough to keep me warm so I pull an afghan over it.

But it is the most beautiful place I have ever lived. People are friendly. It's a good place to be.
This. This is what makes me think that--despite the cold, I could love it there. Thank you.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
This. This is what makes me think that--despite the cold, I could love it there. Thank you.
You will find that you get used to the cold. Much easier to stay warm in winter than to cool off down South in the summer. And yes, the relative lack of traffic and crowds is wonderful, as is the relaxed pace of life. Urban/suburban areas elsewhere may have greater riches but we have greater quality of life.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:23 PM

168 posts, read 285,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Traffic - there is none in VT.
I'm guessing you don't live in Burlington / Shelburne / South Burlington / Winooski. Given the bottlenecks between those various areas, traffic can be a nightmare - I've driven in rush-hour traffic in San Francisco, L.A., and Phoenix, and while the rush-hour traffic of Burlington is less *by volume*, and maybe the scenery's prettier, it can be just as stressful and frustrating.

My record, for the 2.7 miles from Church Street to my home in South Burlington, was 45 minutes - and that wasn't a snow day. (In fact I never found out what was the particular cause that day.) It would more generally take 15 to 25 minutes - that's an *average* speed of under 10 m.p.h., on all but the best days.

To be clear, I agree that pretty much anywhere else - Montpelier, Brattleboro, St. J., etc. - you're not going to experience anything like real traffic. The worst I can think of outside of BTV is the rush-hour slog in and out of Hanover, NH... and of course the issue of getting behind someone going 5 m.p.h. below the speed limit on a "no passing zone" road.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
I'm guessing you don't live in Burlington / Shelburne / South Burlington / Winooski. Given the bottlenecks between those various areas, traffic can be a nightmare - I've driven in rush-hour traffic in San Francisco, L.A., and Phoenix, and while the rush-hour traffic of Burlington is less *by volume*, and maybe the scenery's prettier, it can be just as stressful and frustrating.

My record, for the 2.7 miles from Church Street to my home in South Burlington, was 45 minutes - and that wasn't a snow day. (In fact I never found out what was the particular cause that day.) It would more generally take 15 to 25 minutes - that's an *average* speed of under 10 m.p.h., on all but the best days.

To be clear, I agree that pretty much anywhere else - Montpelier, Brattleboro, St. J., etc. - you're not going to experience anything like real traffic. The worst I can think of outside of BTV is the rush-hour slog in and out of Hanover, NH... and of course the issue of getting behind someone going 5 m.p.h. below the speed limit on a "no passing zone" road.
Well yes, I'm in the Upper Valley, just across the Conn River from Hanover. I have been in Hanover rush hour. Not a big deal. There's only 2 traffic lights in town. Much much much less than lunchtime rush hour in the Wash DC area.

And yes, people up here do drive much slower than other places. I'm still getting used to that. Got stopped the other day for speeding at 47 in a 30-mile zone. Just a warning. You do have to pay attention to the speed limit signs because they change frequently on any given road. Coming to a town? Don't blink, you might miss it, but the speed limit goes down and the cops are watching.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:56 PM

542 posts, read 702,147 times
I once drove from the 91/89 interstate junction at white river south all the way down 91 to exit 4 in putney ( about an hour drive) and I never saw a car on my side of the road. It was around midnight. Empty. I'd tell you to make sure you had a cell phone in-case you broke down but you probably wouldn't get a cell signal. That is my example of how little traffic there is.

Here is my example of how small politics are in Vermont. I used to have this small retail jewelry shop, actually just a barn out back of the general store, but I had a sign out that I was open. One dreary day. A car pulls in and out gets Howard Dean. He was the governor at the time. He is alone. He comes in and I say Doctor Dean what are you doing here? Oh, just driving around trying to talk to local business people, looking for some input. We chat , he gets back in the car and drives on... tell me what other state something like that goes on?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
One dreary day. A car pulls in and out gets Howard Dean. He was the governor at the time. He is alone. He comes in and I say Doctor Dean what are you doing here? Oh, just driving around trying to talk to local business people, looking for some input. We chat , he gets back in the car and drives on... tell me what other state something like that goes on?
Now THAT is cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont