U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:46 PM

449 posts, read 707,796 times

Advertisements

I recently saw an ad for a position at a ski lodge on Craig's List, in Stowe, the Trapp Family Lodge. It intrigued me because something is drawing me to Vermont. In doing online research and reading posts here on City-Data, I can tell that it is a place that not only is beautiful, offering a healthy environment, but that the people are down to earth too.

I first started looking into Vermont when I was researching a Master's in TESOL at the famous school in Brattleboro. I'm currently an ESL teacher in North Carolina. I'm an older female (later 50s) and with the experience I've had teaching ESL here, and elsewhere, it's mostly part-time so I don't feel the urge to get into debt.

I'm originally from Miami, Florida, but I lived in Cleveland, Ohio for three years, and here in North Carolina for 14. Even though I've lived here in NC this long, I have yet to feel like I belong here. The southern culture is not for me. I'm middle of the road as far as politics go, more liberal though, so I like that Vermont is a blue state. I loved Cleveland because of the ethnic diversity there. There were a lot of people of European descent there, so I loved that because of my Hungarian background. It tended to be depressing in the winter though. More snowy days were gray, whereas I get the feeling Vermont, although snowier, has brighter days. I can take the cold when I see the sun shine a lot more than the majority of days being gray.

I enjoy college towns. I must say I haven't skiied or ice skated, but I enjoy being outdoors. When I lived in Cleveland I loved taking walks during the four seasons along Lake Erie with my dog. I love outdoor festivals, going to hear a musical performance, farmer's markets, to name a few. I attend Mass regularly too. I find myself very lonely here in NC because there's not much here for a single person my age. It's mostly college students or families here. The dating scene for my age is very limited here. What's it like in Vermont for my age bracket socially? And to retire there? I'm guessing that opportunities to teach ESL to adults isn't all that better, but with administrative and customer service skills and background, could I find work to sustain myself there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 AM

46 posts, read 46,813 times
In my opinion your choices are going to be even far less here. Cost of living is very high so it may not make sense at this stage in your life. The cold weather may not be kind to your body and you may have to stay inside a lot. Sunlight during winter is minimal and it doesn't help lifting the spirits. Vermont is a great place to visit, but at a retirement stage I would carefully consider your economic situation. Just know that Social Security is taxed in Vermont, whereas in other states is not. For what is worth, some retirees are moving out of Vermont to places where the cost of living is less and their dollars go a lot further. This is all just my humble opinion; your homework would be to visit Vermont, specially during January or February, and see if its a climate you would be able to deal with. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:38 AM

2,858 posts, read 1,022,372 times
I take the opposite view. I see many retirees moving into Vermont for the quality of life it affords. Yes VT is generally expensive compared to much of the South for example but that in part depends upon your income level. Lower income people get their property taxes subsidized by the State and the State income tax rate is very low for them compared to many other States. More affluent folks pay property taxes in full in addition to a high State income tax rate so at that level it is pricey compared to elsewhere.

For older people one of the advantages of VT is the low crime rate compared to the rest of the country.

Yes winter is long and cold but that is OK if you embrace it. Going for a walk on a cold winter day can be exhilarating. It is all a matter of mindset. The summers and autumn however are delightful by any measure. I personally could never live with the summer heat and humidity of the South but winter here is OK to me.

I can't speak to the dating scene for folks of any age, but I can say that folks here tend to be accepting of anyone who wants to be part of a community. It is live and let live and a pretty friendly place overall.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:31 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,347,729 times
You can read all about snow and cold on other threads of this forum. Most people who have never been here don't seem to realize, however, just how small VT is... population wise. The entire state has only 624,000 people. See the http://www.city-data.com/city/Vermont.html page for more info about the state.

You are right, there is little to no need for ESL teachers here. Also, some "towns" in VT are not what you would know as a town. They are a cross-road with maybe a gas station and post office. If you like the idea of a resort job, why don't you take one for a month or a season and see how you like it. Don't sell your home in NC until you decide you really want to move.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 PM

17,872 posts, read 54,180,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
I recently saw an ad for a position at a ski lodge on Craig's List, in Stowe, the Trapp Family Lodge. It intrigued me because something is drawing me to Vermont. In doing online research and reading posts here on City-Data, I can tell that it is a place that not only is beautiful, offering a healthy environment, but that the people are down to earth too.

I first started looking into Vermont when I was researching a Master's in TESOL at the famous school in Brattleboro. I'm currently an ESL teacher in North Carolina. I'm an older female (later 50s) and with the experience I've had teaching ESL here, and elsewhere, it's mostly part-time so I don't feel the urge to get into debt.

I'm originally from Miami, Florida, but I lived in Cleveland, Ohio for three years, and here in North Carolina for 14. Even though I've lived here in NC this long, I have yet to feel like I belong here. The southern culture is not for me. I'm middle of the road as far as politics go, more liberal though, so I like that Vermont is a blue state. I loved Cleveland because of the ethnic diversity there. There were a lot of people of European descent there, so I loved that because of my Hungarian background. It tended to be depressing in the winter though. More snowy days were gray, whereas I get the feeling Vermont, although snowier, has brighter days. I can take the cold when I see the sun shine a lot more than the majority of days being gray.

I enjoy college towns. I must say I haven't skiied or ice skated, but I enjoy being outdoors. When I lived in Cleveland I loved taking walks during the four seasons along Lake Erie with my dog. I love outdoor festivals, going to hear a musical performance, farmer's markets, to name a few. I attend Mass regularly too. I find myself very lonely here in NC because there's not much here for a single person my age. It's mostly college students or families here. The dating scene for my age is very limited here. What's it like in Vermont for my age bracket socially? And to retire there? I'm guessing that opportunities to teach ESL to adults isn't all that better, but with administrative and customer service skills and background, could I find work to sustain myself there?
OK...

I grew up in Vermont a few miles from the lodge. I photographed Maria. I lived in Charlotte NC for a while, and supervised theatres in Miami for over twenty years.

I am going to give you the best advice you can ever get.

I left Vermont for a number of reasons. One of them was that one year in the Burlington area (which is the sunniest area of the state, due to geographical influences) there was NO clear sky from mid October through February, with ONE day of a partial break in the clouds for an hour and a half excepted. NO blue skies during that period otherwise. Midwinter is DARK and dreary, unless you buy lift tickets and get above the clouds on days when that is possible.

If you want to find a place that fits, seriously consider the area around Ashland Oregon or possibly some spots in Minnesota. I can just about guarantee that Vermont is not a good fit for you. If you want strong Catholic, consider around Boston, but be prepared to pay big time.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:32 AM

809 posts, read 678,128 times
For some people, sun is overrated. I got sunburned doing five days of snowshoeing.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:03 AM

150 posts, read 177,518 times
OP, if you can't find much to do in NC, and aren't meeting many people, VT won't be the place for you. Although most people are kind and generally considerate, VTers are not, overall, an outgoing and friendly lot--and I write this as someone who lived and worked in VT for nearly 50 years. Single people, esp those in the their 50's, will likely have a hard time finding a social group.

Winter is long and dark (only an uber true believer like cgregor would consider months of clouds and gloom as a positive aspect of life in VT).

But check it out for yourself. Spend a couple of weeks in VT in late Jan-early Feb.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:11 AM

I agree with Biker53 in that it's about the mindset. When I lived in Cleveland, I loved taking walks along Lake Erie with my dog in each season. In the winter, when it has snowed, even here in North Carolina, there is a stillness and peace and it is absolutely beautiful. When I mentioned Cleveland being depressing, that was back when I had just gone through the deaths of my parents, so I felt the grayness even more. I am sure there are some beautiful sunny days in Vermont in the winter in addition to the dark days, just as there are here in North Carolina. Seion's comment about Social Security was a good one and I took that info and went to check out the states where Social Security benefit taxes are shown state by state(Kiplinger Report). Interesting point to consider.

Oh my, Minnesota? I seriously doubt it. I will keep researching but no, I do not have a house to sell. I am renting here.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:26 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,903,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post

I'm originally from Miami, Florida,................. The dating scene for my age is very limited here. What's it like in Vermont for my age bracket socially? And to retire there? I'm guessing that opportunities to teach ESL to adults isn't all that better, but with administrative and customer service skills and background, could I find work to sustain myself there?
Not a hot dating scene, for that look at The Villages in central Florida. Sounds like a fit, lots of activities, and dating opertunities.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 PM

Only one comment in my post had to do with the "dating scene," so I honestly don't know why someone would post about a "hot dating scene" and the recommendation to go to Florida! I have nowhere expressed an interest in returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or