U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 02:17 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,095,699 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in Western, MA I have always liked Brattleboro and the scenery of Southern, VT. My wife and I often search for towns around smaller cities/towns in New England that are within 2-3 hours of Boston. Its a touch balance between jobs/housing prices/and education opportunities for the kids. Some areas of New England outside of Boston are just too expensive to justify the lost income.

The Upper Valley and Burlington metro seems to have their share of good schools that pop up on school digger and niche but there doesn't seem to be much from Southern, VT. I feel those sites are decent guidelines but would love to hear about towns close to Brattleboro with good schools.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM

809 posts, read 677,719 times
Saxton's River Academy. The Putney School.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:33 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
"Good schools" in terms of ratings systems are invariably in places with mostly affluent, college educated residents. You won't find many public schools with high ratings more than 15 miles from the UVM Medical Center or Dartmouth-Hitchcock.

Brattleboro is well below the state and national median household income. Based on how those rating systems are biased, you won't find any top-rated public schools in that part of Vermont. In some of the resort towns? Those tend to have gold-plated elementary schools but the property prices will be higher than the places you are saying are too expensive and there aren't a heck of a lot of high paying jobs unless you own a successful tourist industry business.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,784,122 times
The town of Vernon (south of Bratt on the MA border) is fighting to keep it's school choice at the high school level. If they succeed it may be worth checking that town out.
Here is a recent news article:
https://vtdigger.org/2017/01/15/vote...n-school-exit/

Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM

371 posts, read 299,747 times
I am not qualified to tell you what a good school is but In terms of private schools probably the putney school, there is a lot of money there. A lot of rich kids go there. 25 years ago I ran in to Bob Dylan who was going up to the school for his daughters graduation. As mentioned also Saxons river academy. Also just over the Mass border is is Northfield Mt Hermon. In terms of public schools I can only tell you about our experience with Newbrook elementary and Leland and grey high school. Now keep in mind this was a long time ago so it is probably not worth much. I came from a good new york public school. My impression of newbrook elementary was they were very loving and special, but they didn't spend as much time as I wanted on nailing the basics, the curriculum at the time seemed dependent on what the individual teacher felt like teaching. I spent quite a bit of time battling with certain teachers but on the other hand there were some good ones. I think inconsistency was my main issue. Because of my business and travel involved we ended up homeschooling our two boys for 4-5 years and they returned to the public school system in 9th grade. They went to Leyland and grey in townshend. This is a small rural school. I think about 350 students. They didn't have football as there were not enough kids, they did have baseball my youngest son pitched, I remember they only had 9 players so if someone didn't show they had to forfeit the game. So it goes in a very small school. I have to say I was overall impressed with Leyland and grey for the size of it. At the time they had a great teaching staff, one that my kids still keep in touch with. The teachers really seemed involved and dedicated. They did have an exceptional arts program. Amazing music program for the size, lots of very talented kids. In terms of college bound kids, yes they can prepare your kids for college , we have had students head off to very good schools like harvard. My oldest son was awarded a full scholarship to st michaels college up in burlington. It is a decent college, cost 53,000 a year. They gave him 4 years completely free including room and board. I paid nothing. From there he went on to get his masters and now works for the government pulling 6 figures. My other son also went on to college as did almost all of their friends a lot to UVM but also lots of good 2nd tier colleges. So while it is probably not the best school if your trying to hit an ivy league college it is by far and away nowhere near a "bad " school. It has a good very intimate environment. You could do a lot worse.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:55 AM

809 posts, read 677,719 times
Leland and Gray has a very good reputation. Charter school proponents like to use its reputation as ammunition to advance their agenda in Vermont, but it's not one of them.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:51 PM

32 posts, read 24,105 times
There are some good public elementary schools in the area, but anything beyond that is not so great. That's not to say your child wouldn't excel at any of the schools, but if you're wanting extra resources/support and a higher population of serious students, you're not going to find it at BAMS, BUHS, or any of the Bellows Falls schools. Dummerston School is really great and it is a K-8. Guilford Central is the smallest school in the Brattleboro "metro" area, which means smaller class sizes. They and Academy School have an outdoor classroom part of their curriculum that is great. Best bet is to fork out for private school. Hilltop Montessori is PK-8. The Grammar School and the Putney School are available and expensive. Vermont Academy in Saxton's River is your best bet for an ivy league-bound kid. If your child is into the arts, then I would recommend Compass School.

If Vernon keeps their school choice in place, you could choice into Dummerston School or even Compass and then Pioneer Valley High School in Northfield, MA. Or just live in Northfield/Bernadston area and hang out in Bratt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or