Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
[
I don't buy the "hippie equals atheist or alternative non Judaeo-Christian" line of thought, because I am a progressive and a church member.
Not to mention that a lot of the hippie scene, especially back-to-the-land types were "Jesus Freaks". To this day upstate NY, Vermont, etc. has Christian hippie communes like the Twelve Tribes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:23 PM

809 posts, read 992,251 times
The Twelve Tribes membership hasn't let the desanctification of its leadership deter it very much. After the top echelon was found to be about as morally and fiscally responsible as Ted Haggard or Jim and Tammy Baker, the cultists for the most part ignored the cognitive dysfunction of the situation and managed to hang onto what they have . There was a cult back in my parents' day (the Depression) that established itself in the wilds of Wisconsin to minister to travelers and called itself "Heaven City." About fifteen years down the road they slid off the religious track (way too many apostasies and schisms) and converted into a motel.

The Communities of the Twelve Tribes will more likely take the Scientology route and keep claiming the tax exemptions forever.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM

23,883 posts, read 32,169,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Not to mention that a lot of the hippie scene, especially back-to-the-land types were "Jesus Freaks". To this day upstate NY, Vermont, etc. has Christian hippie communes like the Twelve Tribes.
Very good point! The Jesus Movement (Jesus Freaks) was started by people who would have been called "hippies" back in the day.

Interesting about the Christian commune in Vermont and upstate NY. Never knew that.

Another factor is that many of these studies involve "self reporting". I think that a Southerner with my degree of church involvement, might report that they were "very religious" and "attended church every Sunday" because in the culture,, religiosity is rewarded as a personal characteristic.

Since my habit is to attend church 2-3 Sundays per month and on holidays, and I am only involved in one church related organization, and I am moderate to low when it comes to volunteering at my church, I might not describe myself as "very religious" but as "somewhat" religious.
Since it is rare that I make it to church every Sunday, especially in the Summer, I could not in all honesty say that I regularly attend - because I am not a "regular". "Frequent", might be a better word.

The other factor that may be effecting self reporting, is that the word "Christian" has become a loaded term.

With the rise of the Religious Right, over the past thirty years, and more recently, Trump's involvement with the religious right fundamentalist preachers, many progressive Christians take great pains to not be associated with "that type of Christian".

There are even Facebook groups such as "Unfundamentalist Christians" "The Christian Left" and "Christians Tired of Being Misrepresented" are a few such groups.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,356,871 times
Because Vermont has a smart, independent and clear thinking populace.

Have not been to Vermont in years but that was my experience of the place coming from my native California. I have traveled to more than 40 of the 50 states and Vermont is a gem.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:20 PM

7,570 posts, read 6,025,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeanie View Post
In reference to Christianity, simply put...the hippie invasion. Vermont was a conservative state until hippies in the 1960s. This totally turned Vermont into a more liberal, free thinking, peace, love, and granola state As for least religious, this is debatable...many people identify with their spirit animals and worship treesD Lots of Buddhists, pagans (wicca), and other new age beliefs here.
One more reason to move there

Religion thrives best in pverty, ignorance and desperation. Not sure how much wealth is in the state, but people seem to be very happy and not particularly desperate. Education standards throughout New England tend to be superior to those in the Bible belt.

People don;t need religion, and maybe a percentage of the people there have figured that out.

Last time I visited Vermont, we did go into a church on Sunday morning, somehting we do not ever do at home. The reason is that when you have buildings dating back 160 plus years, the archetectural exquisitness warrants closer observation.
I did note that the service began with "We welcome all...believers and non believers alike"

Perhaps a few non believers use Sunday religion for a social network ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont