U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:53 PM

7,539 posts, read 9,381,048 times

Advertisements

Newport is virtually at the top of the state of Vermont. The winters are quite long, and very bitter. The area is very isolated and economically depressed, although Montreal is not that far away. Coming from Nevada would literally be a "night and day" transition. Personally,Burlington, the state's largest city, is the only really lively area of the state, but now if has become quite expensive, unfortunately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 PM

10,263 posts, read 11,132,912 times
One thing to keep in mind is that you don't necessarily know what your property taxes are going to be. They may be showing as $5,000.00, but we have income sensitivity for school taxes in order to equalize educational opportunity between rich and poor towns, so the school portion of your property tax will be adjusted if your household income is lower than $90-100 k (I don't know the details).

Given the depressed state of the economy in Newport I would imagine real estate is a buyer's market. On the other hand, if you don't really have to be in Newport there are plenty of places in Vermont I would go first.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:41 AM

9 posts, read 8,215 times
jackmccullough what area's in Vermont would you consider first? I homeschool so schools aren't really a factor, I work at home so travel isn't a factor.. I need a place with high speed internet, but we love our privacy...so either a lot of land or open spaces, preferably near a lake or water.

The taxes, from what my realtor said, can be taken down dramatically if you go to the city and show them that the house was sold for a considerable amount less than the assessment.

As for going to Canada. I have heard that if you get a Vermont DL, you can go into Canada? You don't need a passport to get in?

Thanks .

Last edited by gummybearsandrainbows; 02-21-2017 at 04:57 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 AM

809 posts, read 669,050 times
Consider Springfield! Very affordable houses, no earthquakes, no traffic jams, no McMansions, lots of preserved land, fastest Internet in the state according to VTel. If you're into the college town scene, Dartmouth is 40 minutes up the road, Brattleboro (with the Marlboro College overflow) is 30 minutes down the road. Young families are finally starting to contribute to civic life as the old boy network retires to the nursing homes or starts snowbirding. No scorpions, no termites!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 AM

10,263 posts, read 11,132,912 times
I think Montpelier is the best place to live in Vermont. It's the capital city, but anyone else would look at it and see a beautiful small town. Highly educated population, good quality of life, good amenities and culture.

If you don't care about living in town there are smaller rural towns around Montpelier. Also, if you want to be closer to Lake Champlain you could look in Chittenden County (where Burlington is) or Addison County. Again, with all these places once you get into the country you may take a hit in broadband.

Vermont does offer enhanced operator's licenses, with electronic data, and we travel up to Canada and back with them. There is also something called Real ID, and I don't know much about that.

I also agree that the Brattleboro area, in southern Vermont (also warmer), or the Dartmouth College commuter shed might be good places to look. Overall, coming from where you are I think Newport might be a challenge.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 8,215 times
Cgregor what are McMansions lol? Is that a creative way of saying Mcdonalds? 90% of my shopping and eating is local, so not having a Mcdonalds is fine by me . The only time I really go to a big box store is for cat litter, hair dye, and a few other things.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 PM

369 posts, read 291,656 times
Hard to believe someone doesn't know what a McMansion is. You should look that up. Anyway, normally I would never side with a recommendation on springfield VT despite cgregors always valiant efforts to bring people to the town....however, in this circumstance, if given the choice of Springfield or Newport I would indeed pick springfield. It is true that Newport has the lake, still I am afraid I was unimpressed. I was in Newport year before last for a, look see. Thought with the lake I might really like the place. I am sorry to say it is a really depressing scene. The town is simply sad. I certainly would not move there or buy property there before doing a vermont "walk about" as that area strikes me as about the least desirable. Poster jackmccullough is giving you the best advice and I would listen to him. If you need a dirt cheap place cgregor can probably hook you up with something. Don't go to Newport.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:15 AM

Dissing both Springfield AND Newport? Well, SOME people have to have standards... On the other hand, I lived in a Second World situation for quite some time, so Springfield, for all its warts, is like heaven to me. I picked up my house for $4,800 in Springfield, but had to put a little work into it.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 AM

369 posts, read 291,656 times
Quote:
Dissing both Springfield AND Newport? Well, SOME people have to have standards... On the other hand, I lived in a Second World situation for quite some time, so Springfield, for all its warts, is like heaven to me. I picked up my house for $4,800 in Springfield, but had to put a little work into it.
Really? is that true? You know I would move to Springfield in a heart beat for opportunities like that. I bought a house here on Amelia Island for $25,000. I think the average home is in the $300K. Don't get me wrong it was basically a crack house but it has worked out for me.
Not living in Springfield I have not given it any thought but you would think there must be something that can be done to bring people to the town. Over the years towns like Bellows Falls and Windsor have (in my opinion) gotten much better. Of course they are a bit closer to the 91 corridor.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Smart thinking!

Too many people look back and think, "Oh, it must have been so wonderful to lived in [wherever] when people were just starting to settle there!" They think life was just like "The Waltons" TV show. Actually, what was there was a lot of people with the hardscrabble basics, who were more than wiling to put up with no running water, primitive heating, two sets of clothes, three books and a sponge bath a week while they built a house, a church, a school and everything else to make a few acres into a town. We called them pioneers.

Springfield is a town for pioneers. Not the sort who are going to pay hundreds of thousands to live in a brand-new yuppie community planned by a multi-millionaire in the Sharon-Tunbridge area, but people who want to make an educational system that will work for everybody's children, who will create a commercial district that Wal-Mart can't destroy, and who will form the associations that will bring power to bear on the agents of inertia and the agents of for-profit social engineering.

Not everyone who comes here will make the cut.

Last edited by cgregor; 02-22-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont