U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2007, 09:56 PM

267 posts, read 1,385,780 times

Advertisements

Stiner, if you think using " up to" is bad then you'll probably hate "fixin" or "hafta". Like, I'm fixin to go the store or I'm hafta to go to sleep. Or "cut on". The other day I had a friend over the house and I asked her to cut-on the light and she just gave me a blank look. So I turned on the light for her, I thought she knew what I meant. I'm sure those words are used up here too but I haven't really noticed.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 PM

1,434 posts, read 4,561,793 times
Quote:
I absolutely love Vermont, but I wouldn't consider it resplendently cultural (museums, art venues, etc). And definitely not strong art communities. Shattered art shoppes, and centres but no real central hub or hub(s).

Brattleboro is known for its arts community. I believe it is considered one of the best arts towns in the country. I don't know who makes up those ratings, and on what basis, but I remember reading it.

And New York City is a car trip away that you can do between two meals, although you might want to stop for a snack.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:08 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,630,519 times
Well, you can read anything, but I lived in Guilford, 7 miles outside of Brattleboro, and I am from NYC, and I am an artist--and it is my firm belief that VT does not have a strong art community(ies).

Just my point of view; but it is mine and I own it.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 PM

45 posts, read 163,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Stiner, if you think using " up to" is bad then you'll probably hate "fixin" or "hafta". Like, I'm fixin to go the store or I'm hafta to go to sleep. Or "cut on". The other day I had a friend over the house and I asked her to cut-on the light and she just gave me a blank look. So I turned on the light for her, I thought she knew what I meant. I'm sure those words are used up here too but I haven't really noticed.
I'm familiar with "hafta"- I'm sure I'm a culprit! But "fixin" sounds more southern, and "cut on" sounds like PA or something- honestly not words I've ever heard from Vermonters. Where have you heard them?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 12,931 times
Default leaving Vermont

I have lived all over the U.S., and am now in Vermont. I am considering leaving vermont as well. I am 29, married and have three children. There are not a lot of opportunities here to purchase homes at true starter/fixer/upper prices. My first home in Oklahoma cost $32,000, this was a great place to start. In Vermont starter homes begin at around $100,000. So yes economics is a part of it, but for me the bigger issue is the weather. If you enjoy snow and cold temps. for seven months out of the year come to Vermont, The scenery here is fantastic, and you can lead a more rural, less materialistic way of life. When I moved here I felt as though I had gone through a time warp(back 20 years).

Old 12-03-2007, 03:32 PM

267 posts, read 1,385,780 times
Stiner, I'm from the Dirty South: Texas . We just moved here about 8 months ago.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM

111 posts, read 364,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHurley78 View Post
I have lived all over the U.S., and am now in Vermont. I am considering leaving vermont as well. I am 29, married and have three children. There are not a lot of opportunities here to purchase homes at true starter/fixer/upper prices. My first home in Oklahoma cost $32,000, this was a great place to start. In Vermont starter homes begin at around $100,000. So yes economics is a part of it, but for me the bigger issue is the weather. If you enjoy snow and cold temps. for seven months out of the year come to Vermont, The scenery here is fantastic, and you can lead a more rural, less materialistic way of life. When I moved here I felt as though I had gone through a time warp(back 20 years).
I feel the same way! Where are you considering moving to? We are looking into Chattanooga Tennessee.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM

123 posts, read 298,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
I feel the same way! Where are you considering moving to? We are looking into Chattanooga Tennessee.
I live in New England but my wife and i have been looking for a slightly warmer climate.

My wife and I just visited Chattanooga recently because I was in Nashville for a conference as people had suggested it to us as a nice place to live. The website "outdoor Chattanooga" makes it look perfect. We were completely underwhelmed; it just got scratched off our list. I've learned that you just have to see places for yourself.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM

111 posts, read 364,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post
I live in New England but my wife and i have been looking for a slightly warmer climate.

My wife and I just visited Chattanooga recently because I was in Nashville for a conference as people had suggested it to us as a nice place to live. The website "outdoor Chattanooga" makes it look perfect. We were completely underwhelmed; it just got scratched off our list. I've learned that you just have to see places for yourself.
Oh that's interesting. Please tell me as much as possible about why you came to this conclusion. We moved from Florida to Vermont six years ago and it was a huge transition. It took us years to get settled and doing that again scares me. I don't want to go through all that trouble again just to regret it. Also, what other places are you considering?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 PM

25 posts, read 40,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiner View Post
Jeezum Crow! The VT state bird! It means Jeez Louis and must be said with an accent which can't accurately be described- you have to just hear it. Go anywhere in Lamoille County and ask a farmer or hunter or any random person. I'm a teacher moving back home to VT from a couple of years in the city in MA, but I still can say it well to get under my husband's skin!
And one more thing (which I hate, by the way!) is when people say someone is up "to" the store rather than up "at" the store! "Where's Dad? Oh, he's up to the farm." Uggghhhh!!!!!! I specifically heard it in the Bakersfield/Enosburg area, and had not heard it before even though I was born and mostly raised in VT.

Hi...what do you teach? do you know who, what or where I might find teaching credentials needed to teach in VT. Specifically someone with a degree Linguistic Mediation from another country(he wants to Teach Italian and Spanish here(US)). More specifically...what are the requirements for public vs. private or university. If you might know or might be able to point me in the right direction. Also, if there are some schools that I wouldn't want my kids at that you might know...We are looking to move eventually to the Burlington...to HydePark areas...somewhere in between there....Thank you....Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont