Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the 'fugly' women quote. It's insulting.

I find it quite refreshing that women don't have to 'dress to the 9s' and 'load up the makeup' to be taken seriously in business and so forth.

Yes, there are some 'butch looking' women here and yes, my husband and I think some of these couples over 60 do tend to look and dress the same (LL Bean polo tops, khaki pants, short hair) but it's not what matters.

New Englanders are a breed apart..that's what IS cool about them. They are hearty folks who enjoy life well into their old age because of it.

Not everyone is cut out to be a rugged individualist. I suggest those people look into somewhere else to move.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock0219 View Post
Coolest couple - your comment - Not so cool!
I'm going to lend Coolest Couple some support.

For some reason, the earthy-crunchy liberal northern tier but scenic places in this country have a preponderance of unattractive women. I mean New England's quaint places, Wisconsin's college towns and places in Ecotopia (a term used to describe the West from Berkeley up to Seattle, more or less). It's amazing how many ugly women (frizzy gray hair when still young, funky Indian jewelry, frumpy clothes and possibly a Subaru outside) live in these areas. Sorry. I've seen it TOO many times. The fix would be easy: a gym membership, a good hairdresser and losing the LLBean catalog. It's a problem for any reasonably handsome clean-cut guy who lives in these belts.

Instead, if one goes to Florida, Atlanta, the large Texas cities and Phoenix, normal healthy-looking feminine-looking women are there in large numbers. They want the normal things out of life: to find a mate, to get a house and so on and so on...they don't seek to make any political statements. Some of them are in the professions and still want to look like attractive women. Nothing wrong with that!

I think the unattractive women I speak of aren't interested in these things. Instead, they are probably more interested in political, social and environmental causes for the "greater good." I don't think that looking their best and looking for a (male) mate is on their "front burner."

There are a lot of pissed off guys in Portland and Seattle that have transplanted here to find such low-quality women, in terms of appearance that is. Many of these gals would qualify for "Extreme Makeover" -- I think they would actually like the way they turned out but may not have the self-esteem to keep up that investment or what it might attract for them.

Sorry, but I've experienced this in moving between Northern and Southern latitudes in our beautiful country. So have many others.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,262,883 times
This thread is starting to veer off-topic. Back to the original subject please. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock0219 View Post
We own a 1898 victorian home that little by little is becoming energy effecient. However, fuel oil is our number one expense after the mortgage! About $600 a month.
One of the largest impacts we have in Vermont is how much some items cost. Foe example, we use a huge amount of oil to heat our homes and to drive the longer than average distances. This impact will be even greater within the next several weeks now that oil has hit the $100 mark. The Free Press has an article about this in todays paper. regular unleaded will hit $3.50-$3.75 and who knows what the cost of heating oil will be in northern New England. One of the national news programs was saying many products from plastics on through fuel will be 20% more. That could be another $120 to your heating bill mrock.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,328 times
If the trends with the markets, energy costs, and consumer essentials continues it will spell quite a bit of trouble for numerous businesses as less discretionary spending will be the first defense. My wife works in the lodging industry and due to substantial drops in reservations they have been cut back eight hours per week as of January 1st. It will be a very interesting year to see what shakes out. Will also be watching with interest how the state legislature will react starting on the 8th.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,381 times
Seems like we are facing both a recession and inflation. Neither is good, but both at the same time create a very difficult situation for people.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,821,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Seems like we are facing both a recession and inflation. Neither is good, but both at the same time create a very difficult situation for people.
Yup, it's called stagflation and I'm not a believer....yet.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 AM

23 posts, read 102,681 times
Heating energy costs are increasingly a major concern in Vermont (Appalachia of the north) as most homes and apartments are well over 100 years old and very poorly insulated. It is not uncommon to spend 300-500 dollars (or more) per month in heating costs from November to April. Newer homes and apartments generally are cheaper to heat, but considerably harder to find.

IMHO, it is unfortunate so many old structures are considered historic, thus cannot easily be bulldozed and rebuilt as clean, modern, and energy efficient structures. This gives Vermont a very run down appearance. Few Vermonters can afford to paint their houses, much less keep them up.

I used to work with a guy from Germany who's mother came to visit about 15 years ago. She couldn't believe so many people lived in such run down homes and apartments. In fact, she compared it to World War II Germany. Nothing has changed in those 15 years, except the cost to live in these structures has drastically increased, while wages have actually decreased (when adjusted for inflation).

Old 01-10-2008, 05:14 PM

29 posts, read 89,388 times
I have lived "on and off" in Vermont and the Lake Champlain region for 12 years. I also live "on and off" in Alaska. I am originally from a large snow-bound city in Western NY.
Winter is very relative. Of course, winter is important to those of us who live in northern climates. The farther North you travel in North America it seems, people truly embrace the winter season. Winter in Alaska can be tough, but it is also stunningly beautiful and a time for outdoor sports and festivals. Have you ever read a Canadian travel brochure? I can guarantee "Winter" and "Snow" are mentioned more than once. Canadians and Alaskans are strong, tough people who know how to have fun in the cold. Now, that being said, winter is NEVER pleasant in Buffalo or Rochester, NY. why?----because the residents constantly bemoan their plight. Entertainment seems to shut down. There is a mass exodus to Florida and Virginia, and there are only a few outdoor public places to enjoy nature. People in Rochester are afraid of a little cold and road salt. Winter there is boring and lame.

To hear Vermonters complain about winter causes me strong discomfort. There are so many things to do in Vermont in the winter. Between the Adirondack Park and the Green Mountains are many, many ski slopes, hiking trails, snowmobile trails, shops, bars, clubs, restaurants, ice rinks,etc. etc. Cold and Snow are beautiful in the mountains. A glimpse of the Aurora is stunning. Climbing a snow covered peak at 10 below is thrilling. A simple snow-shoe through the woods can melt away "city" problems. Life in the north isnt about the best mall or the nicest groomed beach......its about creativity and broadening horizons, patience and adventure. I doubt Ethan Allen complained much about winter.
Vermonters ! Stop watching TV and go outside! Florida and Virginia are among the nastiest most-over developed "mall" fixated states in the country. Dreams die wilting deaths in the Tampa heat. Vermont is cold, clear, and clean. Please, people, get your priorities in order.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,328 times
I agree winter has its unique special nature and I too have a bit Alaska experience, 21.5 years worth to be exact with every single winter spent working outdoors. I think that quite a bit of disenchantment with winter as expressed by some here in Vt comes from having to cope with the costs and hassles on a day-to-day basis, namely the ever increasing costs to heat our homes (VPR had a story that oil is now up to $3.98 in some parts of Vt) and the effects of commuting. I work with some folks who commute from 40 to 70 miles one-way and it does get a bit old in the winter. I try to get out and snowshoe/x-ctry ski as much as possible, but to be honest I have to work more and more just to pay the bills and when overtime opportunity presents itself I can't justify giving it up. Then of course for some winter presents difficulties as we age despite an appreciation for the season. So in summary, I don't think it's so much a dislike for winter and lack of desire to get out and partake in activities as much as it is the lack of opportunity to have both the time and resources to be able enjoy winter more. I know if I end up moving to Virginia I will not get rid of my skis and snowshoes as in both western Va and W Va there is plenty of opportunity to get out and enjoy the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont