U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,523,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I thought you only lose that designation after 5 generations or so.

Forgive my ignorance. :-) I don't know that my people have been anywhere for 5 generations so it's difficult for me to imagine.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,188,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Forgive my ignorance. :-) I don't know that my people have been anywhere for 5 generations so it's difficult for me to imagine.
Here's an editorial from the Caledonian Record about how long it takes to become a Vermonter
Denied:1up! Software

Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Geez'm, by that calculation, I only have another 58 years of Vermont residency before my stats changes. Perhaps at that time my perspective also will change and I will start regarding everyone else as outlanders. Excuse me, flatlanders. Good thing I'm a patient woman. :-)

Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM

441 posts, read 839,914 times
I spoke with a woman in Bridport that has been living in Vt for over 30 years. She said she still hasn't been accepted by the locals, nor have her children who were born in VT. I didn't move here to change anything. I love animals and find it hard to live here at times. I keep my opinions to myself unless someone comes to my house and tries to push their ways on me...then I speak my mind. I feel I have that right. I get along well with my neighbors, even the locals across the street. I just don't go out of my way anymore to be accepted. As soon as I open my mouth, everyone can hear that I'm not a local. They think I moved hear from Brooklyn. I don't try to be nice to cashiers or receptionists anymore. I just pay and leave with the same unemotional facial expression that I am given. I'm not saying that everyplace I go people are mean, but when I do come across someone that is not nice, they are as cold as ice. Oh, and by the way SHERYLCATMOM, I love cats more than you!!!! Just joking! I read your blog and some of the articles on Best Friends and found them very interesting. Where is Farmer John's, Mount Holly? I have a farm and most of my animals have had a not-so-happy past.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 PM

I cannot tell you how sad I feel about your experiences living in Bridport. As badly as you are treated, I am not even sure I want to know what you mean by

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I love animals and find it hard to live here at times.
Really -- don't tell me! Unless there's some way I can help. After years of animal advocacy work, I listen to sad/horrible animal stories only when I have a chance to make a difference.

I must ask someone I know in Bridport about her experiences there. She is a Vermont native, but is also an alternative healer so maybe she holds a broader perspective than either a flatlander-hater or a transplant (which I am).

Quote:
Oh, and by the way SHERYLCATMOM, I love cats more than you!!!! Just joking!
LOL!!! Good. If you love cats more than me, than at least one more human is taking excellent care of cats. You go!

Quote:
I read your blog and some of the articles on Best Friends and found them very interesting.
Thank you for reading -- and for letting me know.

Quote:
Where is Farmer John's, Mount Holly? I have a farm and most of my animals have had a not-so-happy past.
Now that the Vermont Legislature realizes that it might not have been legal for them to forbid the advertising of raw milk, I can tell you where Farmer John is with impunity for all. He welcomes your business for raw, organic milk fresh from the farm:

John Pollard
336 Stanley Lane, Mt. Holly
802-259-2381

He does not have a computer -- no email!!! (I'm both mystified and slightly envious. :-))

Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 PM

441 posts, read 839,914 times
I don't live in Bridport....I had a conversation with a woman that lived there. Yes, I take very good care of my cats and all my animals. One of my vets said when she dies, she wants to come back as one of the cats. Many of them I have had for over 10 years. They are my treasures.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
One of my vets said when she dies, she wants to come back as one of the cats.
I have heard that many times. Thing is, I want to come back as one of my cats! Existential dilemma.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 PM

160 posts, read 508,447 times
Default Probably a good move

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Anyway, someone at work mentioned to check out the tri cities area of extreme northeastern Tn and from what I have been reading and researching over the past few weeks the region seems to provide a pretty good fit. Of course I'll have to take a trip down there to size it up.
I'm an outsider (a newcomer to upstate NY), but I think most of the complaints on this thread can be attributed to the last 30 years' massive redistribution of American wealth from the Northeast and Midwest to the South and West. Because of political restructuring (Reagan, Gingrich, Delay, Clinton using Southern-friendly strategies and reallocating tax flows to win elections), tax money and jobs went to places like Nevada, Texas, Tennessee and Florida, to the detriment of people in colder climes. So northeasterners, who pay out more in federal tax than they receive in federal benefits, have to pay more local taxes for similar services to welfare-queen states like Tennessee.
If you want more for less, follow the pork, which flows South. Of course, there are lots of growing pains, and meth, out there. So be careful.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:19 PM

198 posts, read 745,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
I'm an outsider (a newcomer to upstate NY), but I think most of the complaints on this thread can be attributed to the last 30 years' massive redistribution of American wealth from the Northeast and Midwest to the South and West. Because of political restructuring (Reagan, Gingrich, Delay, Clinton using Southern-friendly strategies and reallocating tax flows to win elections), tax money and jobs went to places like Nevada, Texas, Tennessee and Florida, to the detriment of people in colder climes. So northeasterners, who pay out more in federal tax than they receive in federal benefits, have to pay more local taxes for similar services to welfare-queen states like Tennessee.
If you want more for less, follow the pork, which flows South. Of course, there are lots of growing pains, and meth, out there. So be careful.
"Welfare-queen states like Tennessee"...interesting. I moved from Vermont to Tennessee. Vermont was way more welfare/subsidy driven than Tennessee. Vermont is a much better place to receive welfare benefits than Tennessee...which is part of why I left.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:18 PM

160 posts, read 508,447 times
Default Yep, welfare-queen states...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
"Welfare-queen states like Tennessee"...interesting. I moved from Vermont to Tennessee. Vermont was way more welfare/subsidy driven than Tennessee. Vermont is a much better place to receive welfare benefits than Tennessee...which is part of why I left.
I can't speak to where it's easier to get individual welfare benefits, and that's not what I mean when I say welfare-queen states. What I mean is, Tennessee and the rest of the South (and much of the West) consistently get more federal tax money coming into their states than they pay in taxes--more for roads, sewers, hydropower projects, courthouses, business subsidies, etc... per capita. Tennessee may not use that money for individual welfare (and judging by its child-mortality rates, it probably isn't paying much), but its businesses, colleges, etc... are getting a lot of federal subsidy--a polite word for welfare.
For instance, New York state gets about 79 cents in federal tax money coming in for every $1 the state taxpayers send to the IRS. So 20 cents of my tax dollar goes somewhere else--like Tennessee. Which gets $1.27 in federal tax money for every $1 it pays in taxes. (Alabama's No. 1, by the way).
Vermont recently gets some subsidy, too--about $1.08 in benefits for every $1 it paid out in 2005. But it was paying out a lot more than it was getting 15 years ago. See this chart and click on each state. Really interesting:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/22685.html
So I'm saying you made a good business move. Why should a company or an individual pay taxes in Buffalo or Barre that go to subsidize infrastructure and jobs in Tennessee? You're getting more tax bang for my buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or