Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 15,633 times

Advertisements

This is coming from somebody that's lived in Burlington, VT. I have lived here all my life minus a few years. After living in several places around the country, most recently Hollywood, CA, I have drawn several conclusions:

1. Vermont is overrated. The cost of living in VT is about equal to that of Hollywood, CA. Gas prices are a little more in CA, but everything else is the same (yes houses cost more in CA but the salaries are alot more as well). Property taxes are a joke. Chittenden county is the worst. Other counties aren't bad. But if you live outside Chittenden or Rutland county, you will find yourself in no man's land, no really!

2. Weather, to be frank, sucks. Bitter cold winters, hot humid + sticky summers. 8 out of 10 days are either overcast, rainy, or crappy weather. If you're in search of roses and sunshine, definitely don't even consider moving to Vermont, you WILL get depressed. However, on the days it's nice weather, it's like a small piece of heaven. Very, very beautiful scenery, espcecially come fall time.

3. People are nice but are the definition of simpletons. 99% of the roads here are single lane, and full of potholes at theat. If you get stuck behind a slow driver, you might as well call work and let them know you'll be late, cause due to the roads being so curvy and crappy, you hardly get a chance to pass. When you finally get the chance to pass, they'll speed up, and then slow down again as soon it's clear to not pass. It's torture everyday. I'd much rather be on the Hollywood 101 freeway in 5 o' clock traffic then have to drive the Vermont roads.

4. Vermont is extremely liberal. Like VERY over the top liberal (at least in Chittenden county, others are much more conservative). If you have a far left system of politics and values, Burlington is for you. Vermont is very granola. Organic this, environment that. It's hard to get permits to build near anything nowadays due to all the environmentalists who can easily argue that there is "some rare endangered blade of grass growing under this rock, blah blah". As a liberal, it sounds great, but believe me, it gets old.

5. No decent jobs. People that make $15/hr here are considered "doing really well ". Those with college degrees almost always leave the state becasue there's very little to nothing for them. There's like 5 "big" companies in Vermont. People with college degrees work for them, everyone else takes whatever is left over, or work for themselves.

6. Locals are gung-ho about UVM. From day one in first grade up until graduation, it's all about UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM. It really gets sickening after a while. Sometimes I want to burn the place down so I don't have to hear about it anymore. UVM sports games are probably the most exciting things that happens in Vermont. UVM is a good school, but I don't know why it's called UVM, considering most of the students that go there aren't even from Vermont.

7. Vermont has good weed. If you enjoy the occasional joint, Vermont has some excellent weed, comparable (sometimes better) to the medical grade stuff I was buying at the medical marijuana dispensaries in LA! Also, there's a lot of good parties here, most of which are on or around the UVM area. I have memories of a party with like 150 people crammed into this old crappy basement in some old house on Loomis. Not exactly safe but it sure was a good time lol!

8. Great place to be raised, not a great place to live as an adult, unless of course you're rich.

9. You get bored very fast in Vermont. Unless you go to UVM or Champlain College and are in their whole "social network of classmates and friends", you can go skiing, snowboarding, ski-dooing, 4 wheeling, etc. If you are like me and aren't into any of these outdoor sports, you're going to get bored. Hence me writing this ridiculously long reply

10. There's like 1 black person for every 100 white people. Basically, there isn't much diversity here. I remember moving back from CA and saying "where's all the Mexicans?" lol. But it's cool cause being such a liberal state, everybody is accpeted for who they are. I don't see much of any racism around here, although, I'm sure it does exist.

11. There isn't many hot girls around here. A Vermont 10 is like an LA 3. If having hot girls around you all the time is important, don't come to Vermont! However, many, many girls in Vermont are good relationship material! Something many would say is hard to find these days.

Conclusion: Come visit Vermont! While you're here check out the Vermont Pub and Brewery! Just went there tonight, great place, excellent microbrews! In my opinion, Vermont is a great place to visit or have a second home in, but living here full time is both cold and depressing. As much as I love Vermont, I cannot wait to get back to reality in CA!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:16 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,773,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_Online View Post
This is coming from somebody that's lived in Burlington, VT. I have lived here all my life minus a few years. After living in several places around the country, most recently Hollywood, CA, I have drawn several conclusions:

1. Vermont is overrated. The cost of living in VT is about equal to that of Hollywood, CA. Gas prices are a little more in CA, but everything else is the same (yes houses cost more in CA but the salaries are alot more as well). Property taxes are a joke. Chittenden county is the worst. Other counties aren't bad. But if you live outside Chittenden or Rutland county, you will find yourself in no man's land, no really!

2. Weather, to be frank, sucks. Bitter cold winters, hot humid + sticky summers. 8 out of 10 days are either overcast, rainy, or crappy weather. If you're in search of roses and sunshine, definitely don't even consider moving to Vermont, you WILL get depressed. However, on the days it's nice weather, it's like a small piece of heaven. Very, very beautiful scenery, espcecially come fall time.

3. People are nice but are the definition of simpletons. 99% of the roads here are single lane, and full of potholes at theat. If you get stuck behind a slow driver, you might as well call work and let them know you'll be late, cause due to the roads being so curvy and crappy, you hardly get a chance to pass. When you finally get the chance to pass, they'll speed up, and then slow down again as soon it's clear to not pass. It's torture everyday. I'd much rather be on the Hollywood 101 freeway in 5 o' clock traffic then have to drive the Vermont roads.

4. Vermont is extremely liberal. Like VERY over the top liberal (at least in Chittenden county, others are much more conservative). If you have a far left system of politics and values, Burlington is for you. Vermont is very granola. Organic this, environment that. It's hard to get permits to build near anything nowadays due to all the environmentalists who can easily argue that there is "some rare endangered blade of grass growing under this rock, blah blah". As a liberal, it sounds great, but believe me, it gets old.

5. No decent jobs. People that make $15/hr here are considered "doing really well ". Those with college degrees almost always leave the state becasue there's very little to nothing for them. There's like 5 "big" companies in Vermont. People with college degrees work for them, everyone else takes whatever is left over, or work for themselves.

6. Locals are gung-ho about UVM. From day one in first grade up until graduation, it's all about UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM UVM. It really gets sickening after a while. Sometimes I want to burn the place down so I don't have to hear about it anymore. UVM sports games are probably the most exciting things that happens in Vermont. UVM is a good school, but I don't know why it's called UVM, considering most of the students that go there aren't even from Vermont.

7. Vermont has good weed. If you enjoy the occasional joint, Vermont has some excellent weed, comparable (sometimes better) to the medical grade stuff I was buying at the medical marijuana dispensaries in LA! Also, there's a lot of good parties here, most of which are on or around the UVM area. I have memories of a party with like 150 people crammed into this old crappy basement in some old house on Loomis. Not exactly safe but it sure was a good time lol!

8. Great place to be raised, not a great place to live as an adult, unless of course you're rich.

9. You get bored very fast in Vermont. Unless you go to UVM or Champlain College and are in their whole "social network of classmates and friends", you can go skiing, snowboarding, ski-dooing, 4 wheeling, etc. If you are like me and aren't into any of these outdoor sports, you're going to get bored. Hence me writing this ridiculously long reply

10. There's like 1 black person for every 100 white people. Basically, there isn't much diversity here. I remember moving back from CA and saying "where's all the Mexicans?" lol. But it's cool cause being such a liberal state, everybody is accpeted for who they are. I don't see much of any racism around here, although, I'm sure it does exist.

11. There isn't many hot girls around here. A Vermont 10 is like an LA 3. If having hot girls around you all the time is important, don't come to Vermont! However, many, many girls in Vermont are good relationship material! Something many would say is hard to find these days.

Conclusion: Come visit Vermont! While you're here check out the Vermont Pub and Brewery! Just went there tonight, great place, excellent microbrews! In my opinion, Vermont is a great place to visit or have a second home in, but living here full time is both cold and depressing. As much as I love Vermont, I cannot wait to get back to reality in CA!
Thanks, "JS_Online".

I must be a "simpleton".

Enjoy California.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,113,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I must be a "simpleton"
Me, too. The simpler the better. I figure I'd rather be simple here than complex anywhere else. :-)

Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM

I hope the mods don't ban the poster or close the thread. Honest.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,564,498 times
Quote:
As much as I love Vermont, I cannot wait to get back to reality in CA!
Isn't CA home of LALALand?
I fail to see the reality in overpaid celebrities and fake boobs.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Isn't CA home of LALALand?
I fail to see the reality in overpaid celebrities and fake boobs.
.................ROTFLMAO!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,127,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_Online View Post

11. There isn't many hot girls around here.
Hooked on Phonics please.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM

267 posts, read 1,831,596 times
My husband says the same thing about the women up here and I have to agree with him. He says most look like they rolled out of bed with the sleep crusties still in their eyes. Even the female newscasters don't look like they fix themselves up much. But I guess fashion styles will be different no matter where you go or what you are use to seeing.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
My husband says the same thing about the women up here and I have to agree with him. He says most look like they rolled out of bed with the sleep crusties still in their eyes. Even the female newscasters don't look like they fix themselves up much. But I guess fashion styles will be different no matter where you go or what you are use to seeing.

eeeeewwwww.

Even though VT is officially a Fashion Free State, the women I hang out with - and do referral business with - look pretty sharp. But they don't feel the need to primp and pouff. If I want to see women who look like they took a second mortgage for duds, I just spend a weekend in Montreal...

De gustibus non est disputandum est

Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,010,520 times
Well, quite truthfully Vermont is not the fashion capital of America but who would expect it to be?

True, many of the women have a 'less than feminine' appearance and by age 65 or so the men and women I see pretty much all look the same (short hair, polo shirts & jeans)... Many of the men look like mountain men or former hippies...not GQ material...

However, who cares?

As far as being simpletons, no. Absolutely not. I figured native borns would have a nice answer for our Cali cool poster...

*Hot girls* yes, surely EVERYONE'S most serious priority...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont