U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 24,920 times

Advertisements

I left Vt. in 1994 for San Jose, CA. I HATED the weather. I used to cry when I had the shovel the car out. I even tried to put "pam" on my snow shovel. I remember a snow storm we had in April. There was so much snow that when I opened the door, the snow was as high as the door and the door left it's imprint on the snow. I remember crawling on the ground during an ice storm. I remember making a trip to Burlington and on the way back the road had frozen and turned to ice. I was born there and lived there until I was 40. The winters are LONG and BRUTAL. Unless you're a ski instructor it's not worth it.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,898,152 times
Sobering post. What do people do about ice? Shoe cleats?

We've had big snowstorms in NYC, too. Last year, there was one that left at least 2 feet of snow. I opened the front door periodically to get the snow out of the way so I would be able to get out. When it was time to shovel, I worked my way along what I had to shovel. The snow was fluffy and light. There was a lot of it, but it was not hard to shovel.

I remember one year when there were 16 snowstorms. At the time I worked in Staten Island and had to commute by car. It was difficult at times, but I got used to it. But I did not have to drive on ice. I cannot drive on ice and I do not know how, or if, others can.

So, basically, the reasons people reject Vermont are the economic climate and the winters. Leaving after college to see the world is another reason, but that does not really entail rejection.

By the way, I reread some of my posts on this thread and discovered some typos that I missed. Sorry.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:30 PM

13 posts, read 34,117 times
Why would anyone leave Vermont? How about 7 months of winter,one month of mud and two weeks of sunshine.
As for Brattleboro-if you're a communnist you'll fit right in. It's the town where teenagers walk around naked and the adults don't know what to do about it.
All that being said, it is a beatuyful state.
P.S. Vets spend a good portion of their time killing animals. (On purpose, I mean).

Old 01-22-2007, 10:49 AM

As I've posted more than once, I am intimidated by the thought of driving on rural roads and steeply inclined roads in the snow, especially at night when you can't see the road.

Other than that, I think I can deal with the cold. You can bundle up in the cold a lot better than you can bundle down in the heat.

I have a profession that I can use in a job or in private practice, so I am not too intimidated about work, although maybe I should be.

What I imagine would drive me from Vermont are the winters.

But, of course, imagining living somewhere is not the same as actually living there.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:21 PM

4 posts, read 14,328 times
Smile What about NH areas between Keene and Brattleboro?

I'm interested in the Brattleboro area as well, so I've been following this thread. I live in the Ossipee/Wolfeboro area of New Hampshire now, but would like to live somewhere that is still rural but with more of a close-knit community feel with strong environmental and progressive values, an art community, and a decent population of 30-something people. There is not much community feel here, except groups like the "Ossipee Concerned Citizens" or the "Ossipee Historical Society" -- which is great if you're a retired Grandma, but not so great otherwise!

So I was wondering if the small, rural towns on the NH side of the border between Brattleboro and Keene might be a viable alternative...? Maybe lower taxes and housing prices than VT, but you could still take advantage of life in Brattleboro, with the added bonus of Keene being close by, too.

(By the way, I work from home, so a job would not be an issue.)

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of those towns--for example, Hinsdale, Chesterfield, Spofford, Westmoreland? What about the public schools?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:39 AM

Hinsdale is across the river from Brattleboro. So you could have the advantages of Brattleboro and the advantages of New Hampshire. I don't know exactly how far it is from Brattleboro, though.

I have nver been to Hinsdale and I know nothing about it except for its proximitity to Brattleboro, and I know nothing about the other communities you mentined.

You may want to post your questions in the New Hampshire forum, too.

By the way, thank you for your comments about Brattleboro and about the surrounding area. They were very encouraging to me in my plans to move there. A sense of community is very important to me.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM

4 posts, read 14,328 times
Default Brattleboro surrounds

From what I know, Brattleboro definitely has a strong community feel. I did look into those little towns on the NH side. I find the houses there pretty expensive--nearly as much as Brattleboro, but at least this side of the border there is no income tax! Not sure how much that might be offset by high property taxes.

I think you'll like Brattleboro a lot. I certainly do. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:53 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,633,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena23 View Post
From what I know, Brattleboro definitely has a strong community feel.
Yeah, it's hard not to enjoy that sense of community when you know what half the town looks like naked. Sorry, couldn't resist

A Vermont winter requires a set of snow tires. So, factor in $500 a year for 4 Hakkis for your car and you'll get around with no trouble. The winters are fine. That is, if you enjoy cold weather enough to relish in it from October until May. As for us, we eventually came to the conclusion that winter fit us better as a size small I grew up in Burlington, Vermont and enjoyed 6 years in Orwell as an adult before moving down to Boones Mill, Virginia and building a horse farm. We're horse people and down here my wife can ride 12 months out of the year. We think it was the best choice for our family. We don't miss living in Vermont but Vermont is a beautiful, beautiful place and it will hold a special place in my heart for all time.

Sean

Old 01-25-2007, 05:09 AM

22 posts, read 108,143 times
The sun went down so early in winter, and the gardening season was so short. I left after 14 years to find a "Warm Vermont". West Virginia is nearly as pretty as Vermont, and the weather is generally a lot milder. Having a longer day length in winter makes a big difference to me.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 AM

Is there really such a noticeable difference in the length of daylight in the winter? Is Vermont's latitude so far north?

If that is the case, does that mean that the daylight is longer in the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or