U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
What rubbish. As if to say Burlington lacks the high brow culture for this pedigree.
Burlington is a nice place(I'm not sure you could call it a city in comparison to Boston or NYC)with some culture. I wouldn't say Burlington could compare to larger cities as far as culture(or jobs) is concerned. I think that is the point that was meant.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,766,227 times
Yes, 68Vette, that is what I meant. Burlington is awesome and I love all it has to offer, but...by "real city", I meant larger....lots larger!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 AM

7,559 posts, read 9,410,110 times
Default Understood...

... I did the same. After growing up in Burlington, I left for Boston (and other places) not long after college largely for the same reasons. Many people from small town/small city environments would like to try something a little more cosmopolitan, and I was no different.It's possible for someone to try, say, Boston for 5-10 years, and then decide to return to VT, or perhaps to make permanent roots in the Boston area. The important message to take from all this is : Try something new once in a while.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,766,227 times
MassVt, we're not alone. I know lots of folks who left for larger cities, just because they wanted to try something new. I would say at least half of my graduating high school class (230 kids). Some of us have come back!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:07 PM

223 posts, read 729,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Burlington is a nice place(I'm not sure you could call it a city in comparison to Boston or NYC)with some culture. I wouldn't say Burlington could compare to larger cities as far as culture(or jobs) is concerned. I think that is the point that was meant.
Well, he said that he left Burlington to live in a "real city," suggesting a lack. And you seem to agree with this insidious notion.

Please help me figure this out: Why must Burlington, or any place on par with Burlington for that matter, be compared to a Boston or NYC to determine whether it is one?

And to your point that Burlington can't compare to larger cities where culture (or jobs) are concerned, you overlook the number of individuals seeking work to the number of actual jobs available, not to mention the income bracket that must be attained to be able to live in a larger city, which is having an exclusivizing effect on large numbers of minority groups. There's gentrification run amok (i.e. Artists driven out). While not limited to larger cities, surely one can't deny the negative impact its had on driving out first and second generation residents ---a sort of de-multiculturalization. You might be surprised to learn that jobs in Burlington are fairly plentiful and the city is, in general, an affordable place to live. And as far as culture goes, Burlington was the first (or second?) state to pass a civil union law and to elect an independent senator (Jeffords). Also, Burlington's minimum wage was higher than NJ's and NY's long before they brought their own up to the $7.00 level. There's a whole lot to Burlington's progressivism that I'll leave to others to jump in and talk about...or refute.

Last edited by JimmyLane; 05-21-2008 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-22-2008, 08:12 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times
Well, after reading the above post, I guess I just have been misled the past three years and been looking in all the wrong places. I didn't realize how plentiful jobs in Burlington were and on how affordable it is. Also, regarding culture on how civil unions and independent candidates have enriched my life and immensely helped my bottom line. Chevy Chase's comment had it right, " I couldn't be more surprised than if I had woken up to find my head sewn to the carpet."

Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM

894 posts, read 1,283,897 times
flu189 I believe you need to drink more green koolaid. I've heard that if you eat only local and organic and spend hours staring at the mountains that your bank account actually increases.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,754 times
Count me among those who think that for all it's problems, Burlington is a terrific place to live.

Where in the USA is it easy to live on minimum wage?

The cost of living is high here - but it's as high (or much much higher) in an awful lot of places which don't offer as much in the way of performing arts, outdoor recreation, opportunities for civic participation, and several other measures. Where in the country is the cost of living low, and the quality of life this high in the ways in which it's high here?

It's not difficult to find 3 and 4 bedroom homes in Burlington right near the bike path, and on the bus line, served by good schools, ( and a great High School) - for little more than 200k. Jobs at IBM, FAHC, the local universities, etc are available.

The lake, the lakefront children's science museum, the pedestrian downtown, and all the rest can be enjoyed at little or no cost, as can the performing arts, and a lot more. With a car, the opportunities expand.

Sure - we could use a new Toyota manufacturing plant here (and a Target would be nice but we'll get by...

David Beckett

Old 05-23-2008, 06:03 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times
I never put Burlington down. I read the post a little different than others did and stated what I thought was meant.

My family and I find many things we enjoy in and around Burlington, but there are many who don't. Having lived in NYC when I was younger I understand what others think when they say these things. When I was younger I would have never lived in Burlington with the option of experiencing a large city. Everyone is different. There are others people who would say the opposite. This is a nice place to live, but if you think Burlington is the only place in the country with a good quality of life and an affordable one at that then you are sadly mistaken. Read the forums in many of the southern states.

I was listening to VPR yesterday(as well as the national news) and the discussion was on fuel prices and what we are to expect in a years time. Many of the estimates are putting gas at around seven dollars a gallon. Now this effects everyone nationwide, but think about what this will mean for the northeast. Our oil company told us they most likely will not offer a prebuy this year because of the estimated oil prices we may see. If the state is concerned with growth now wait until people can't afford to keep themselves warm most of the year. Everyone will suffer with those types of prices. Even if you rent with heat included, count on you rent going up to compensate.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
flu189 I believe you need to drink more green koolaid. I've heard that if you eat only local and organic and spend hours staring at the mountains that your bank account actually increases.
Ha, ha, you might have a point there. Actually, in five weeks I'll be out on the Long Trail for two weeks and to be quite honest I just can't wait to be totally separated from daily market reports, general news, and the prices at the pump or market. I will have a supply drop in Johnson, but I will not buy the paper and unlike so many hikers I do not hike with a radio or a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or