U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,421,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Ten vermont posters just hurled themselves out a window.
No doubt. Just wait until heating oil speculation runs the price up on this news. That along with impending cap and trade will make them wish they jumped off the roof.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 PM

890 posts, read 2,567,087 times
I don't know what to make of the weather here in Cali, either. We had a very wet late spring, then cooler than normal temps for early summer (June). Now it's mid-July and it's scorching hot, with temps over a 100 degrees for several days in a row. However, the very hot summer temps are not unsual for my part of the state (Sacramento valley). But our cool early summer weather set all kinds of records. Yeah, they always blame this stuff on El Nino or La Nina. and if they make a prediction early on, based on one of the two, they always have an out in case they are wrong by saying, "Oh, yes, it sometimes can produce this kind of weather, too".

Being from upstate NY originally, I feel for those that have to endure long, harsh winters and then not have a nice summer to compensate for it.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM

96 posts, read 89,327 times
To answer the post, ....the grass is always greener somewhere else,be it the winters ,employment (or lack of) taxes............they are all the same reasons people leave were they live and move to Vermont.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:17 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,321,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I don't know what to make of the weather here in Cali, either. We had a very wet late spring, then cooler than normal temps for early summer (June). Now it's mid-July and it's scorching hot, with temps over a 100 degrees for several days in a row. However, the very hot summer temps are not unsual for my part of the state (Sacramento valley). But our cool early summer weather set all kinds of records. Yeah, they always blame this stuff on El Nino or La Nina. and if they make a prediction early on, based on one of the two, they always have an out in case they are wrong by saying, "Oh, yes, it sometimes can produce this kind of weather, too".

Being from upstate NY originally, I feel for those that have to endure long, harsh winters and then not have a nice summer to compensate for it.
I am in upstate NY and the summer has been quite nice. Temperatures are not hot and humid, rather quite comfortable and sunny. The AC has gone on about 3 times for a short period and showers have been late afternoon or night. I think the weather runs in cycles. Next year we probably will be sweltering.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,906,744 times
Regarding long, harsh winters, I'm trying to think of what makes winter difficult.

The cold. You can bundle up. You heat your house. The problem with the cold is that if you lack money for heat you really suffer. Many do. And heating costs are expensive, even if you can afford to heat your house to a comfortable temperature. People who have to be outside, though, have it rough.

Winter driving. The roads here are paved quickly and well. Studded snow tires provide good traction. Dirt roads are often another story, as is black ice. What I dread most is a veterinary emergency in, or shortly after, a big snowstorm, especially at night. I would have to drive to my vet in the next town, or about 27 miles on the Interstate to the emergency facility in South Deerfield, MA. Even after successfully negotiating one winter here, I still feel some anxiety about needing to drive in severe winter conditions.

Shoveling snow. I don't have to shovel snow, because I rent. If I owned, it would be a time consuming, tiring activity. But I shoveled when I lived in Brooklyn. I didn't look forward to it, but when I came in afterwards, the sense of well-being I had was wonderful. But this past winter, the snow was relentless. And if I buy a house, I will have to do the shoveling again, or else have to pay someone else to do it. I'll probably wish for other ways to get that sense of well-being.

Hibernation. People here often disappear into their homes when it is cold outside. There is plenty to do at home. Reading, cooking, household projects, spending time with family, including pets.

Short days, long nights. I don't like when it gets dark at 4:30 pm. I much prefer now, when it gets dark at about 8:30 pm. Once I was driving up to Vermont from New York. It soon got dark, and I eventually felt like I was driving late at night. When I arrived in town, it was only 7 pm. I went to a concert that evening.

Bare trees, ice in the rivers. Can be depressing. The world seems almost dead.

January and February. It is fun experiencing the parade of holidays in the fall, culminating in Christmas. New Years can be a little depressing, partly because the parade of holidays is finished. January and February feel tedious. They are also the beginnng of tax season. I try to use January to do my financial chores, but I often procrastinate until late March. Also, by this time, many people are sick of winter.

What is good about winter? Winter sports, e.g. skiing, snowboarding, show shoeing, ice skating. Some people enjoy ice fishing, although I'm sure the fish would prefer that they didn't. Coming home to a warm house and a hot meal. Sitting by a fireplace or a wood or pellet stove. Watching snow fall. Snow on the trees. Bundling up in appropriate clothing and feeling nice and warm in the cold. Warm boots. Colorful winter hats and scarves. My hot shower in the morning. Swimming in an indoor pool. Sitting in an outdoor hot tub (my friend watched the New Years Eve fireworks from an outdoor hot tub, believe it or not). Getting into a nice warm bed at night. Building a snowman. Reading and study. Completing household projects that I didn't want to do when it was warm outside.

Well, I guess I could also write escaping to Florida and looking forward to spring. Strangely enough, though, I never feel quite ready for spring once the winter ends. But then I enjoy looking at the rapid changes in the trees and other vegetation. I enjoy looking at the tiny new plants as they emerge from the ground.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to enjoy what is left of our summer. I thought it would be hot today. I visited a swimming hole. I ran into some friends. It felt too cool to go into the water, even though several people were swimming. Anyway, my bathing suit was in the car and there was no place to change.

Oops. Maybe I'm off-topic with this post. This isn't really about leaving Vermont, but a major theme on this thread is the role of the weather in people's decsion to leave.

Last edited by arel; 07-19-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,421,846 times
Winter has it's special allure and I enjoy it as best as I can, but it is true that it's duration and economic cost take a toll on even the most avid fans. For many the cold is just not physically good or tolerable anymore regardless of their emotional attachment to winter. Then again, for those who have no or limited issues with money and can afford to pay to have snow cleared, buy the best performing winter vehicles, partake in a myriad of winter activities, heat their homes to desired comfort levels, then what's not to like about winter. Advance seasonal forecasting for what it's worth now predicts the snowiest winter for the northeast in over five years. I myself like the snow, just can do without temps much below 20 degrees.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 PM

I really feel for people who must be cold in the winter. Last winter I had two episodes of losing my heat. The first time it wasn't really winter yet, but it was a miserable experience. I had to sleep in a 20 degree sleeping bag. I didn't know what was going to happen and if I would have to move. The second time it lasted only for a few hours, and I knew I would have my heat back shortly.

To be chronically cold during a Vermont winter is torture. People can easily freeeze to death up here in the north. Or they can get very sick. Or they can simply be physically miserable. Your heat is your lifeline. That's why it is important to have alternate sources of heat, e.g. a furnace and a wood or pellet stove. And you need a generator in case you lose your electricity.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think a pellet stove requires electricity, although a wood stove doesn't.

My other big winter concern is being snowed in. Here in Vermont, you are expected to be at work no matter what the weather conditions are, and to be there on time. That's scary enough, but what really scares me is having a veterinary emergency and having to drive about 27 miles down I-91 to South Deerfield, MA, where the emergency facility is. Last November, I had to make the trip in the middle of the night, but, fortunately, there was no snow and, except for the dark, driving conditions were fine. My nightmare is having such an emergency during a major snowstorm, or before the roads are plowed. Having an AWD car would help, but it still wouldn't make me able to drive 65 mph during a blizzard or in a foot of snow. And I don't know how much even AWD would help if my landlord hasn't yet cleared the long driveway.

Last winter was snowy enough. I can't imagine what this winter will be like if the predictions for snow are accurate.

Another thing I dislike about winter is the early darkness. I really prefer the long days of summer. But this depressing, not potentially life-threatening.

Last edited by arel; 07-20-2009 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,530,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
That's scary enough, but what really scares me is having a veterinary emergency and having to drive about 27 miles down I-91 to South Deerfield, MA, where the emergency facility is.

This would concern me, too. Is S. Deerfield the only emergency vet clinic or is it the one you prefer? I'd want to know there was something closer just in case conditions were hazardous for getting to S. Deerfield in a hurry.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,088,014 times
I was born in Vermont and lived there for 34 years. I moved west last year because of a new job. I had a great, high-paying job in Vermont; but, it was just one of those situations where an opportunity arose and I would have regretted it if I didn't take the chance.

The only things I don't miss about Vermont are the humidity and the black flies. I never found the winters to be terribly harsh. Of course, I skied everyday and I think winter is absolutely gorgeous. What is more beautiful than going out on snowshoes on a full moon night in the middle of winter? Where I live now, we got over 500" of snow this past winter and had avalanches weekly, sometimes daily. You don't have to worry about that during a Vermont winter. And, driving around on the VT back roads after a fresh snowfall? Stunning. The whole landscape changes.

Sure, there are long periods of clouds and rain (a weather pattern not exclusive to Vermont, by the way). But, everything sure is green when the sun comes out.

As far as a lack of things to do...boy, I never had that problem. Hiking, biking, skiing, museums, the VSO, Vermont Festival of the Arts, farmers' markets, local artisans and gift shops. I could go on and on. I guess, if you're looking for standard shopping malls and nightclubs, your may find your options limited outside of Burlington; but, frankly, I always found Vermont's lack of those places to be one of its greatest assets.

I have always loved Vermont, and I think that living in other parts of the country has strengthened my respect for Vermont and real Vermonters and the way of life that they are so fiercely protective of. I can certainly see myself moving back to Vermont at some point in the future. I just hope it will still be the same Vermont that I left.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

This would concern me, too. Is S. Deerfield the only emergency vet clinic or is it the one you prefer? I'd want to know there was something closer just in case conditions were hazardous for getting to S. Deerfield in a hurry.
The Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Hospital in South Deerfield is the only 24 hour veterinary place in the area.

Normally, it takes about 40 minutes to get there. It probably took longer when I brought Sammy there that sad night in November, because I drove in the middle of the night. I have no idea how long it would take to get there in a snowstorm.

I dread needing to drive there in severe winter conditions, especially at night when it is harder to see.

But I am glad to have 24 hour access to a veterinarian. On the other hand, it is not access if conditions prevent you from traveling.

My regular veterinary clinic, up Route 5 in Dummerston, has a vet on call at night, but sometimes they refer you to the place in South Deerfield. There is also a veterinary clinic a lot closer than my regular vet, but I do not go there, as they do not have the reputation that my regular vet clinic has. Also, I don't think they are open at night. They know me, though, because I buy some food there. But if, during business hours, I had an immediate, life-threatening emergency, I might want to take the cat there to be stabilized. Come to think of it, I might go over and ask them if I could do that.

Even when I lived in Brooklyn, I had to travel up to an hour for after-hours emergencies. There was an emergency place about a half-hour away. Eventually a new place was opened in downtown Brooklyn, which was also about a half-hour away. Then there was the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan, which was closer to an hour away.

Usually, my emergencies occurred in the daytime, so I just took the cat to his local vet, about 5 minutes away. The emergencies involved diabetes, so it probably would have been OK if I had made a longer trip.

The big problem is if a cat has a breathing problem or a heart attack. Then seconds count.

It also helps to go to a vet who knows you and knows the cat.

My three cats seem healthy now, but they are getting older and I worry about future health problems.

One thing I have taken care of, though. I have purchased health insurance for them, so I won't be overwhelmed with vet bills in the event of an expensive illness. I got the policies from Petplan, which is highly reputable.

If Sammy had been insured, I would have saved several thousand dollars on his care.

More importantly, I do not want a beloved cat to suffer or die because I can't pay for veterinary care. Just the thought of that is heartbreaking. Sadly, many pet owners find themselves in precisely this position. There are charities that can help, but their resources are limited.

Last edited by arel; 07-21-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or