U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM

234 posts, read 1,149,072 times

Advertisements

Take a look at my recent post - on Brattleboro and sun worshippers take off their clothes.

One of the reasons I left VT because I couldn't stand what the state has turned into. WAAAYYY to far out for me anymore.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM

267 posts, read 1,704,447 times
Ok, I'm sorry. I don't mean to rag on Vermont especially since I've only been here a few short months. I may end up loving it here, only time will tell. I've met quite a few people who have felt the same way I have when they moved here and now they don't want to go back to there hometowns.

Yes, I am from the south and of course housing prices are cheaper there. We knew it would be expensive up here. We did all the math, research, etc. before we decided to move up here. And no, we didn't think it would be like Vermont Life magazine living up here; we arent that naive, lol. My husband got a really great job offer and we are young so we decided to move and take a chance. Something new, neither of us have ever lived out of state. We figured if things don't work out here then we can always move back home or somewhere else. That is why we are renting first and saving up for when we are ready to buy a new home. We're also in the process of having our house sold so there is no way we can afford to buy a house here or anywhere at the moment.

The hardest part I have living in Vermont really has nothing to do with Vermont itself. I'm just homesick. Its me, my husband, and our son also another baby is on the way. So its hard being away from family right now for me.

I really do enjoy the natural beauty and cleaniness of Vermont. I love that I haven't been in a two hour traffic jam yet and I love that feeling of safety and security around me. But like I said I miss my big old polluted hometown city of Houston, with all its shopping malls, Jack n the Box, and all the other gazillion things going on there. I guess if you take a native Vermonter and transplanted them to Houston or elsewhere in the South, they would probably feel the same way. And I met LOTS of people who hated Houston.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,754 times
Luv80's -

Sorry you think "it's boring here".

But if you're "20 miles from a Wallmart" I believe you may be in for a surprise.

This time of year The Burlington Area explodes with arts and cultural activity -
Just the tip of the iceburg:

The Shelburne Museum (unique in the world)
The Echo Center (ditto, actually)
St Michael's Playhouse
The 1st Annual Vt Kidney Foundation Pub Crawl
The Vermont City Marathon (fun to watch and lots of free live music - I'm not suggesting you begin training ;-)
Lilac Sunday
The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival
(nope - it's not all Jazz, and a lot is free. Even if you hate "Jazz" this is a terrific 10 days to discover Burlington. There are huge block parties and loads of free family events, and the town's pretty vibrant.
Concerts on The Green at The Shelburne Museum
The Vt Mozart Festival
The Battery Park Concert Series
Music at Higher Ground
Farmers markets
The Ethan Allen Homestead
Concerts at Snow Farm Winery in The Champlain Islands
Sidewalk cafes and street performers on Church Street

Have you grabbed a 7 Days and looked at the callendar and arts sections? There are a dozen pages of activities.

Then there are the myriad outdoor recreation opportunities, but you'll pass. That's ok.

If you're still bored after strolling Church Street and Waterfront Park, fear not - Thunder Road in Barre might just float your boat ;-)

Actually, you haven't told us what you're bored from missing. What are your interests? Perhaps we can help.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the list Chaz. I do plan on checking out alot of those things you mentioned and I do plan on making the most of our time here enjoyable. I really look forward to going to the Mozart Festival this summer and also taking our son to the museums and Shelburne Farms. Also, looking forward to checking out Burlington area. What beaches are nice to go to in the summer? I'm assuming they are at Lake Champlain but I don't know yet. What about Montreal? About how far of a drive is it from the Waterbury area?

I shouldn't say I'm bored living here because that really isn't the case. I just really really miss home and scared being 2000 miles from family. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this. It feels lonely although I am meeting new people and getting out and about

Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,754 times
The kids will adore The Echo Center in Burlington. It's a hands on childrens natural science museum right on the shore!

Montreal is a bit more than 2 hours from Waterbury. It's an hour and 45 minutes from Burlington - even going the scenic route, via The Champlain Islands.

There are 350 (not a typo) FREE shows in Downtown Montreal offered by The Montreal Jazz Festival. All in a family friendly environment, all within a short short walk of one another. Check them out on the WWW. They offer loads of specific kids activities. June 28 - July 8.

If you're only familiar with American cities, Montreal may well be a very pleasant shock.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:09 PM

I've actually been to Montreal twice but its been more than 5 years ago and both times were in the winter. My friend that I stayed with at the time wasn't a very good hostess and didn't really take me to see any of the sights. Long story but mainly I spent my week of winter vacation in stuck in her house. So this time around I can't wait to actually see some sights in Montreal especially the Jazz Festival and hopefully the Comedy Festival too.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times
Spring seems to always lift the spirits and give rise to hope for the future. Now that the legislature has thankfully adjourned more and more folks are questioning the actual worth of the agendas dictated over the past months. Don't expect major change, but there is definitaly a restless level of impatience with the "Stepford" like cult that can be detected by reading the news and conversing with neighbors and coworkers. For those leaving this season, best of luck. For those of us staying, lets hope for a great summer to enjoy the natural landscape and the many activities offered here.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM

122 posts, read 414,581 times
Amen, flu!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:03 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,633,813 times
Ah Montreal, where the drinking age is 18 I have fond memories of Montreal as a teenager. Or at least I'm told they were fond memories. For some reason I can't remember them. What I do remember is being 16 and ordering beers at a Pub on St Catherine St. Oh the joys of early onset puberty!

Sean

Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 AM

25 posts, read 90,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
The whole color of the house painting issue is way overexagerated (can't spell today) and yes, it's been by the same poster (who does not like VT one bit). In large home subdivisions, ACT 250 stipulates "earth tones" for the color of your home. If you live in a development with a homeowner's association (HOA), then yes, color may be regulated. Or, if you live in say, a historic district. This is par for the course for just about anywhere in the country. We built a new house 2 years ago and did not have to get a permit for the color of the house LOL. It's just in certain, particular, and not very common circumstances.
Vermont's ACT250 is the state's land use law. Some folks love it, some hate it. I like it for the fact that it's kept Vermont looking the way it looks, but don't like it because it does discourage growth, especially business growth which is what this state needs. Kind of a catch 22 for me!
Each town has their own set of zoning regulars, some stricter than others. Again, this is par for the course for just about anywhere in the country.
Celebration, FL is a completely different, but very interesting animal. Talk about HOA's gone mad!

Anything about Florida is another issue. Celebration is aorund Orlando, worse crime rate in Florida, worse even than Miami. They try to keep this quiet though. Frightening place to live and a horrible plave to visist. Belive me the color of the houses are not the issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or