Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
How traumatized are newcomers to Vermont when they experience their first Vermont winter?

GypsySoul22, do you plan to stay in Vermont or do you plan to go somewhere else altogether?
Last winter was BAD, BAD, BAD but even the longtimers admitted it.

Yes, we will stay here, but move a tad closer to NH. There's nothing we can rent or buy (most likely) in our village & we have to move. It's all up in the air right now as my job is also 'temp.'

I'm still out there searching for an elusive permanent job.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
Ha ha...dare I say that the skiers, snowboarders and all the resorts thought last winter was GREAT, GREAT, GREAT??!!!

Arel, the change in the price we could get for our home now vs three years ago is at least $125K less...which is sort of disheartening when you think what you COULD have gotten, but at the same time, I'm not about to put my life on hold to wait for some magic real estate turnaround that most likely will never return to those numbers. We couldn't move at that time, and that's just the way it is. Real estate #s in NY are still pretty high, so hopefully you will be able to walk away with a number that makes you happy. Good luck!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Arel, the change in the price we could get for our home now vs three years ago is at least $125K less...which is sort of disheartening when you think what you COULD have gotten, but at the same time, I'm not about to put my life on hold to wait for some magic real estate turnaround that most likely will never return to those numbers. We couldn't move at that time, and that's just the way it is. Real estate #s in NY are still pretty high, so hopefully you will be able to walk away with a number that makes you happy. Good luck!!!
Yup. I hear you. I don't want to put my life on hold now for something that may never come, or, if it does come even partially, will take several years.

Let's see what happens in the summer.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM

367 posts, read 695,627 times
I know the main reason I am leaving Vermont is because it is too stinking cold. Six months of winter gets to be too much at times. The economy, and the fact businesses don't want to move into Vermont is a major factor for many. With the business tax, and the fact Vermonters just don't seem to want companies coming in and ruining the "small town feel" of things makes it difficult for big business.

Just my two cents......

Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Looks like Green Mountain Coffee Roasters is launching a $10 million expansion by acquiring a facility in Knoxville, Tn. I know their press release claims they are seeking to expand their market and they "hope" to eventually also maybe expand here in Vt. They also claim it will lower their carbon footprint. I think the truth lies more in good old economic realities of doing business, staying in business, and ultimately growing your business in the most cost beneficial environment available. I have done quite a bit of research on Tennessee to include Knoxville and points east to the Smoky Mountains and in fact come August I will be in the region checking out a few aspects for myself to see if relocation there would be practical in both terms of lifestyle and cost of living.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM

I had read about their expansion as well...they said that they are hoping to also expand to the West Coast further down the line, but maintaining and expanding the Waterbury location is on the short term goal list.

At this stage of the game, any company that is expanding deserves credit...they are doing something right. Of course, it would be great if they could have stayed in VT, but then they probably wouldn't be able to afford to expand!

My fiancé was very interested in TN...he travels down there for work on occasion and likes it, but the heat/humidity is just too much for us...but do report back and let us know how it goes!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I had read about their expansion as well...they said that they are hoping to also expand to the West Coast further down the line, but maintaining and expanding the Waterbury location is on the short term goal list.

At this stage of the game, any company that is expanding deserves credit...they are doing something right. Of course, it would be great if they could have stayed in VT, but then they probably wouldn't be able to afford to expand!

My fiancé was very interested in TN...he travels down there for work on occasion and likes it, but the heat/humidity is just too much for us...but do report back and let us know how it goes!
I surely will will report my findings. Excessive heat and humidity is not something I am fond of, afterall it nearly did me in back in basic training in Alabama at a point in my life where I had never been much south of the Jersey shore. From my research and talking to to people that have been down toward NE Tn, the climate is not as brutal. Tn is a very large state in that it runs over 400 miles east to west and thereby it experiences some climate variances. Seems that if you live near the mountains (Appalachian and Blue Ridge) on the western side, the brutal summer factor is less as is the threat of any hurricanes and even tornadoes for that matter.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM

231 posts, read 869,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Looks like Green Mountain Coffee Roasters is launching a $10 million expansion by acquiring a facility in Knoxville, Tn. I know their press release claims they are seeking to expand their market and they "hope" to eventually also maybe expand here in Vt. They also claim it will lower their carbon footprint. I think the truth lies more in good old economic realities of doing business, staying in business, and ultimately growing your business in the most cost beneficial environment available. I have done quite a bit of research on Tennessee to include Knoxville and points east to the Smoky Mountains and in fact come August I will be in the region checking out a few aspects for myself to see if relocation there would be practical in both terms of lifestyle and cost of living.
I have been there, and I am in the final process of transferring. Much easier to "live". Homes 1/2 (or less) than what they are here, taxes 1/4 (or less) than what they are here. Any wonder why people are leaving?

Last edited by GrnMtnFire; 06-06-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm going to stray slightly OT for a moment here...I know there has been a lot of discussion about fiscal irresponsibility and taxes etc...obviously, this exists probably in the majority of states/cities in this country (the world???) and I had a huge example of this come to my attention the other day.

I went to school at NYU in NYC...spent a lot of time in the Village, and specifically, Washington Square Park. I don't frequent the immediate NYU area much anymore, but I was there Tuesday night and walked through the park. A good chunk of it was under construction...did some research on Wednesday and was horrified about what they are doing.

There is a very large open fountain in the middle of the park. There is a large arch on one end of the park, that dead-ends to Fifth Avenue. Apparently the fountain was not centered through the arch, so they are MOVING it. Twenty feet. So that people driving/walking on Fifth Avenue can see it through the arch.

They are spending $25 million dollars and cutting down a bunch of 50-100 year old trees to move a fountain. In the process, they are also going to remove several benches and chess tables and provide less seating for the public.

On top of it all, the original designer of this park did NOT want the fountain centered. Apparently, there were tons of protests about this, but it was approved anyway (apparently, there wasn't much of a public debate because I never saw it mentioned anywhere at all). Meanwhile, the city raises taxes, and complains they have no money.

I realize this has nothing to do with VT, but I just wanted to post it as an example of frivolous spending in these tough times. I really, really wonder who it is that runs these cities/states and how to shake some sense into them!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 PM

A very good point. Crazy and frivilous spending is by no means isolated to any single domain. I imagine that we will eventually get to a point where the majority of people will get fed up enough with insane waste and actually task our representatives to eliminate waste at all levels. Now if an individual or company wants to use their own funds they have the absolute right to do so. I imagine many representatives are very cognizant and are preparing for the very distinct possibility that high levels of funds for various levels of public assistance are going to become necessary. Once a good portion the middle class takes a solid and lasting hit they will not go down quietly. As much as I hate to see the potential for tough times there could be a positive benefit in the long run in that we just might be able to flush out tons of pork and those "porkers" which perpetuate waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont