U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,545 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Well. I am not a U.S. citizen. I am an international student who studied in D.C. + Virginia for 18 months and at the end of this month, I will go back home.

I've always wanted to visit New England ( I did visit Boston, Salem, New Haven, and some other areas in Massachusettes and Connecticut last spring).

This year, I would like to visit Vermont, New Hampshire, Main, and Rhode Island.

I think it is possible to do that in one week, or even six days. I really want to see nature and the famous natural places ( Lake Champion, the ocean from Maine! ).

I will rent a car. Shall I fly directly to Vermont to start the trip, or from Rhode Island?

Where should be my arrival, and from where to depart?

Frankly, I could skip some states ( maybe Rhode Island or New Hampshire) but not Vermont or Maine. I've always wanted to visit those places.

Any suggestions? Your comments will be highly regarded.

Affordable resorts? Towns that I should not miss?

Keep in mind that I might go to Newfane VT. I have an old teacher who lives there, I really want to visit her!

Can you please give me the right route? From where shall I start?

Please keep in mind that I would want the departure airport and the arrival airport to have direct flights to/ from Washington D.C. airports.

I am so excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 PM

809 posts, read 671,702 times
I'll let somebody else advise about reaching Vermont by car from the coast.

"Leaf season" prices kick in pretty soon after Labor Day, so you might want to travel before then.

If you do go to Newfane to visit your former teacher, you won't be too far from the highest church steeple in Vermont, in Windham. If you decide to see it, take along some friends and build it up for them the way our president would. When they see it and suffer massive disappointment at its puny size, just tell them, "I never said it was the tallest!" And afterward, you can go five miles to Houghtonville, whose only traffic sign in town says, "Cat Crossing."

If you cruise up I-91 past Springfield, take two minutes at Exit 7 to see the Chickenyard Event, where proto-Europe and porto-north America were joined, just 200 yards past the Holiday Inn. Park at the near end of the guard rail on the opposite side of the road (careful about doing a U-turn; people have died there) and look at the cliff face. On the left you will see the New York Series of granite; on the right you will see the New Hampshire Series of shale, which is also found in Newfoundland and Ireland.

Jarvis Street in Windsor used to be Vermont's equivalent of John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. It's nowhere near as funky as it used to be, though, but you might want to see how the 80% lives in Vermont.

Check in with the Vermont Workers Center in Burlington for a glimpse of what underlies everything the usual tourists see.

If your former teacher is a long-time resident, he/she might have contacts around the state that could personalize your visit. It's not enough just to see the sights; you want the juicy details that only the locals can provide, such as the fact that one of Vermont's governors kept a speakeasy operating throughout his term of office-- and you can visit the site. Or visit a railroad roundhouse and see how they maintain a locomotive.

You can rent a canoe at a state park-- Wilgus is on the Connecticut, which all the water sportsmen agree is just a really long lake-- 600-foot drop in 350 miles. Paddle upstream until you find an island, have lunch, float back! Or go tubing on the White River in July or August, when the water's warmed up.

As a bug-fearer, I recommend having bug spray unless insect bites don't bother you. Of the state's 251 towns, only 30 have more than 5,000 inhabitants, which means Mother Nature is pretty close most of the time (but not in downtown Burlington or Brattleboro, etc.). And if you have a pet along, don't let them pick up any ticks. If you come toward the end of September, that's not a problem anymore until late spring.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 PM

17,737 posts, read 53,848,101 times
More or less...
(not even bothering to stop for spelling, since Main is acceptable for Maine)
Burlington. Rent car.
Ferry to New York state (daylight) Ausable Chasm
drive to Rouses Point, cross back into VT and St Albans
Slip over to rte 100
drive SLOWLY down rte 100 the length of the state
Stop in Stowe, Waterbury, Waitsfield
Hit Brattleboro
drive north
Hit Franconia Notch in NH
Go up Mt Washington on the cog RW
Drive to Lake Winnie, take a boat
Head to Old Orchard Beach in ME
Visit Kennebunkport
Head to Plimouth Plantation
Check out Boston and Cambridge

Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,545 times
Cgregor & harry chickpea thanks a lot guys!!

I am somehow troubled by your suggestions! Looks good, but in these 6 days, where do you suggest to start and where do you suggest to end?

I want to cut through the not needed routs.

I've been to Boston and Cambridge. I do not feel like going back again.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM

19,591 posts, read 18,673,443 times
I'm sorry that I can't address your questions about routes but I wanted to suggest one very nice spot that you might want to see. If you're much of a city boy, maybe no. If you want to see something that's real old time New England, try driving over a genuine old fashioned covered bridge.

I like this one:

http://www.coveredbridgesite.com/vt/...r_cornish.html

It's probably not out of your way since it's near the major highway, rte 91 that runs north/south and divides NH from VT. If you have any interest in art, the Cornish side has a beautiful spot to relax and enjoy. It's the St Gaudens historic site. https://www.nps.gov/saga/index.htm On a nice summer day you can sit on that porch (pictured) and gaze at the mountains, then walk around and see the famous sculptures, and attractive gardens. Good place to take a picnic lunch. You're not that far from Brattleboro, which was mentioned before. Although, if you don't have that much time, I don't know if Brattleboro is worth bothering with.

I don't know where your plane should land but there is Bradley International in Windsor Locks, CT. You would then drive up rte 91 through MA (could stop in Northampton MA, just off rte 91, for a unique hippie/trendy/restaurant/shopping/people-watching, fun, mostly people your age experience, and into Vermont. Rte 91 goes right up to the Canadian border with Vermont on your left and New Hampshire on your right.

There's a major airport also in Manchester, NH but I don't know my geography of that area so I can't tell you much more.

I like the White River Junction area of Vermont too--it's been mentioned already. Maybe up to Woodstock, just to the north, which is touristy but people seem to love it. It's to the north east of rte 91.

The White River Junction area is near New Hampshire so whichever direction you are coming from, you would cross the river and be in the other state.

People do like Lake Winnie--lots of traffic there in summer. Maine--Old Orchard Beach for someone your age and, if you can find a place to park, Kennebunkport. It's a pretty drive along the Maine coast no matter where you go. There are a lot of famous towns that are popular and fun to see. Just look on a map.

You should really look on a map, figure out which airport you'll use, and take it from there. It should be a perfect destination after hot summers in DC.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:51 AM

809 posts, read 671,702 times
Wilgus State Park in Vermont is about two miles south of that covered bridge, so take a half a day for a canoe rental. Paddle upstream, not down, because the river flow is pretty much controlled by the hydro dams, and you can take three times as long paddling against the flow when they release water. If you're a jock, you could probably make it all the way up to Sumner Falls just for the fun of it. Very tranquil and picturesque, all the way-- and the Jarvis Street I mentioned previously will be on your left early in the trip. Wear bug spray-- we have three fly seasons-- black, deer and horse. A dark head covering does not attract them, so if you're into hijabs, you're all set.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM

6,783 posts, read 11,048,501 times
With only a week or less, just plan on going through northern VT, NH, and Maine (probably around the Camden area).
That's ambitious enough!

Probably the cheapest flight will be in and out of Logan and pick up a rental car. It will still be a lot of driving.

http://www.visit-vermont.com/state/

Old 05-21-2017, 02:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,012,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm sorry that I can't address your questions about routes but I wanted to suggest one very nice spot that you might want to see. If you're much of a city boy, maybe no. If you want to see something that's real old time New England, try driving over a genuine old fashioned covered bridge.

I like this one:

http://www.coveredbridgesite.com/vt/...r_cornish.html

It's probably not out of your way since it's near the major highway, rte 91 that runs north/south and divides NH from VT. If you have any interest in art, the Cornish side has a beautiful spot to relax and enjoy. It's the St Gaudens historic site. https://www.nps.gov/saga/index.htm On a nice summer day you can sit on that porch (pictured) and gaze at the mountains, then walk around and see the famous sculptures, and attractive gardens. Good place to take a picnic lunch. You're not that far from Brattleboro, which was mentioned before. Although, if you don't have that much time, I don't know if Brattleboro is worth bothering with.

I don't know where your plane should land but there is Bradley International in Windsor Locks, CT. You would then drive up rte 91 through MA (could stop in Northampton MA, just off rte 91, for a unique hippie/trendy/restaurant/shopping/people-watching, fun, mostly people your age experience, and into Vermont. Rte 91 goes right up to the Canadian border with Vermont on your left and New Hampshire on your right.

There's a major airport also in Manchester, NH but I don't know my geography of that area so I can't tell you much more.

I like the White River Junction area of Vermont too--it's been mentioned already. Maybe up to Woodstock, just to the north, which is touristy but people seem to love it. It's to the north east of rte 91.

The White River Junction area is near New Hampshire so whichever direction you are coming from, you would cross the river and be in the other state.

People do like Lake Winnie--lots of traffic there in summer. Maine--Old Orchard Beach for someone your age and, if you can find a place to park, Kennebunkport. It's a pretty drive along the Maine coast no matter where you go. There are a lot of famous towns that are popular and fun to see. Just look on a map.

You should really look on a map, figure out which airport you'll use, and take it from there. It should be a perfect destination after hot summers in DC.

As an old New England hand, I can saythe preceding is an ideal way to get through New England and you can't go wrong. It's hard to fit in all you should see in a week because the area is bigger than you think and packs in lots of sights.
Some of my favorite parts are Vermont and the Maine Coast. I am also partial to the upper Cape Cod and the delightful town of Provincetown, MA.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:45 PM

9,849 posts, read 3,916,396 times
Can I recommend Rocky Neck Art Colony in Massachusetts? It's pretty near Gloucester, MA, which you may have already seen. In my opinion, there's something really lovely about that area.

I'm posting a link to a place I've stayed before. It's not swank, and you can see by the pricing not to expect luxury - but it's clean and it's in easy walking distance from the Rocky Neck restaurants and shops. There's an artist vibe there that's thrilling.

Cape Ann / Gloucester Short Term Rentals, Waterfront Efficiency Rooms and Suites

Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 PM

369 posts, read 294,417 times
My guess is that any airport in New England will have direct flights to DC. A 6-day trip to go to all these areas is very aggressive. You can do it but most of the time you will be driving, lots of driving. I personally like that, but it is not for everyone. I happen to live in Newfane so I can help with any of those questions. I suppose it does not really matter which city you fly into first. Start at the top or start at the bottom. I would check what the rental car situation is at the various airports. Prices on cars can vary quite a bit from state to state airport to airport. If it were me, and I was in DC, I might consider just driving from there, forget the plane altogether. If you rent a car it is often a lot cheaper to do a round trip rental. As opposed to a one way. By the time you fiddle with getting to an airport, checking in, then get delayed sitting on the runway for an hour you would be halfway there. Also, if you choose your route carefully you can see other areas you have not been too. Maybe Pennsylvania or the attractive parts of New Jersey? I would catch 87 north at some point and then when you get to Hudson NY stop for lunch. Head east from there and catch route 7 north, through great Barrington, Stockbridge, Lenox, Williamstown take route 2 towards North Adams then north on route 8 to Wilmington VT. From there rt 9 to Brattleboro stop for the night. There are a number of hotels in town but only one right in town where you can walk to everything it is Latches Hotel. Not fancy. Next day stop at Newfane then if you want to see VT go North up route 30 and get on route 100 North. The other option is to continue to Manchester and then go north on rt 7 instead of rt 100. Both roads are nice. I like 100 as it is in the mountains but it is a bit slower. Rt 7 runs down the western side of the green mountains so it is flatter and open with the mountains in view. Both roads are nice. Work your way to Burlington and have some time in the city. The lake is beautiful and there are ways to get on it if you want. From Burlington, you are a long way from anywhere, but you have seen a lot of VT and have a good idea what it looks like. The whole state looks like what you have seen. From Burlington leave nice and early and go south on 89 to Montpelier get off and catch route 2 east this road will take you right through the white mountains in NH and through central Maine. Take it all the way to Booth Bay Maine that is your next stop. Book a room here mid-town motel - Mid-Town Motel, Boothbay Harbor, Maine 04538 this is the cheapest place in town. No frills, clean, super nice owners I have stayed several times. Booth Bay is a nice town, when you get a moment drive down 27 to west Boothbay harbor and Southport. Stunning. In the morning, you could go north a bit to Camden which is nice, Bar harbor is farther North. I personally was not that impressed with that area but everyone else likes it. You are on a tight schedule so if it was me I would simply go south down route 1. Along that road, you have the city of Portland, sort of like Burlington. You have old orchard beach if you like the tacky beach scene. I recommend Kennebunkport as a nice stop I have stayed there before. I also like Portland NH. This is another town that is filled with pubs, good restaurants and music. I like to eat down by the river there are a few places down at the docks, poke around. A bit further south is Newburyport MA Another nice town I have stayed at. From this location, you could jump directly down to Newport RI. Newport is a nice place, Drive by the mansions. You’re going to wish you had a sailboat as it is perfect for that. When you’re done with it, depending on your schedule and time of day you could go south on 1 along the Connecticut coast there are some nice wealthy towns between mystic and Milford that are all quite quaint. To recap here is the trip:
DC to Brattleboro
Brattleboro to Burlington
Burlington to Boothbay
Booth Bay to Portsmouth, old orchard?
Portsmouth to Newport/mystic
Newport to DC

So that schedule gives you another day somewhere to stop or slow down maybe another day in Burlington or another day on the main coast.

If you want to fly then you could consider flying into and out of any location and just doing a round trip from that airport. Round trip tickets and car rentals are often cheaper. So, you could fly into Burlington, do the same trip I have outlined but start by going directly to Maine and do a big circle. From Newport, you come back up through Brattleboro. You could do the same thing flying out of Boston or Hartford or providence or Manchester. Ok, got it? That is my suggestions and I have been to all these places. If you need anything advice on Newfane just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or