Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 07:56 AM

19 posts, read 25,211 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a question about car registration/temporary insurance.

My partner recently bought a car privately from someone. Got the title. He lives in NJ. Car is currently at the mechanic getting fixed but it is not insured yet nor has any tags (commercial tags were given back to previous owner as per their request).

My partner's son recently lost his car and needs a new one. He lives in VT. My partner is going to give him this car he just bought, but doesn't know how to drive it up to VT without having to insure and register it in NJ first. It's a long drive to risk driving up without plates and insurance obviously!

Does anyone know how to get the car up to VT wthout having to pay all of these extra fees and going through extra steps? Is there some sort of temporary registration or whatnot for when you are moving cars across state lines?

Also I know VT has strict inspection regulations, so how could we know if the car would pass once there?

Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 05:09 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
You need to get an intransit plate in the state you bought the car (New Jersey, I presume). It's only $5.00.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

It's not legal but most people just attach some other license plates to move the car and drive the speed limit.

Vermont inspection will only fail you for things that need to be fixed. Broken springs. Ball joints. Bad brakes. Failed exhaust system. Check engine light. Bad tires. Rust-through.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:55 AM

19 posts, read 25,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You need to get an intransit plate in the state you bought the car (New Jersey, I presume). It's only $5.00.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

It's not legal but most people just attach some other license plates to move the car and drive the speed limit.

Vermont inspection will only fail you for things that need to be fixed. Broken springs. Ball joints. Bad brakes. Failed exhaust system. Check engine light. Bad tires. Rust-through.
Awesome! Thank you so very much for the information! It is very much appreciated. And $5 plates are totally doable. Great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont