Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 PM

9,426 posts, read 5,185,124 times

Advertisements

Good. We need more taxpayers! ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 01:25 PM

29 posts, read 27,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
Good. We need more taxpayers! ��
You know, folks . . . for those of you who haven't heard the term "You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar", you'd be wise to adopt it and be a little more welcoming toward those who are basically moving to your state to bail you out of the economic crisis that has been created and who will be sharing the tax burden with you (that we didn't create, mind you!) so you don't have to pack up and leave your homeland (unless you want to do so voluntarily at which I, for one, won't object).

It's no hidden secret that the New England states are known for being densely populated with ice cold (and I'm not talking about the weather), unfriendly, unchurched, pretentious, rude people but nothing says you have to live up to that reputation. Thankfully, not *everyone* in NE is like that or else the entire area would be one big ghost town because no one would want to continue living among and around such uninviting, miserable people!!

You say you want folks to move to VT to help you lighten the (tax) load yet you want these same "transients" to keep their distance, not engage with the "locals", and not 'infect' the existing culture by integrating our own into it (as if what we're bringing is a disease?) SERIOUSLY????

The reality is that my money and I come as a package deal, a "2-fer", so the way I see it your options are: 1) Get over it and start learning how to 'share a little love', gratitude, and appreciation with your potential new neighbors OR 2) Leave. And no, there is isn't a 3rd option. Like it or leave

Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,767,275 times
Flyinirish, ignore the cgregors and other naysayers. Most folks here welcome those who come and want to become part of the community. I was made to feel very welcome when I came. You are absolutely right that it is a package deal. Tourists and transplants have been the backbone of the VT economy.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:17 PM

It was a joke. Good grief. But it’s true. And you know NOTHING about me so I would lay off the lecture.
I am not responsible for the financial situation in VT. The liberal progressive voting base and legislature is. I don’t vote for them and never will.
Also, I moved here from CA 15 yrs ago and have been a property owner and taxpayer ever since.

Last edited by Riley.; 06-22-2018 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 02:48 PM

200 posts, read 174,745 times
Too bad the offer is only for telecommute jobs. They should extend this offer to needed professions. The last time I talked to Rutland Regional Medical Center they practically begged me to take the job, but I found a better financial fit elsewhere.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:31 AM

Cost of living here is becoming prohibitive and the state appears disinclined to fix their spending problems. If money is no issue for someone, and you like winter, I would recommend VT highly. But for most others, I would just caution you to do your homework about costs, etc. Was the job at RRMC a nursing job? I do know those appear to be in high demand here. One of the few...

Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM

23,580 posts, read 70,330,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinirish33 View Post
You know, folks . . . for those of you who haven't heard the term "You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar", you'd be wise to adopt it and be a little more welcoming toward those who are basically moving to your state to bail you out of the economic crisis that has been created and who will be sharing the tax burden with you (that we didn't create, mind you!) so you don't have to pack up and leave your homeland (unless you want to do so voluntarily at which I, for one, won't object).

It's no hidden secret that the New England states are known for being densely populated with ice cold (and I'm not talking about the weather), unfriendly, unchurched, pretentious, rude people but nothing says you have to live up to that reputation. Thankfully, not *everyone* in NE is like that or else the entire area would be one big ghost town because no one would want to continue living among and around such uninviting, miserable people!!

You say you want folks to move to VT to help you lighten the (tax) load yet you want these same "transients" to keep their distance, not engage with the "locals", and not 'infect' the existing culture by integrating our own into it (as if what we're bringing is a disease?) SERIOUSLY????

The reality is that my money and I come as a package deal, a "2-fer", so the way I see it your options are: 1) Get over it and start learning how to 'share a little love', gratitude, and appreciation with your potential new neighbors OR 2) Leave. And no, there is isn't a 3rd option. Like it or leave
Never lived in Vermont, have you? FWIW, the root expression was "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." Ben Franklin quoted it from an Italian source. Why did it get changed to catching bees? My guess is that 1. Very few people are interested in catching flies without then killing them, which makes for an ugly metaphor, and 2. As any Vermont farmer knew, you catch many more flies with manure or rotting meat than either vinegar or honey. That is still true, as a glance at facebook or the evening news will quickly verify.

"as if what we're bringing is a disease?" Back when Vermont was "churched" it often was a disease. The "Vicious Circle" was only tolerated because the debauchery was contained on an island in Lake Bomoseen. The inroads of the wealthy around Weston was tolerated but not approved of, much as the hippie invasion and goings on at Goddard. The clash between the churchgoing rurals and the transplants became even more contentious when heavily populated left-leaning Chittenden County took control of state government. When a way of life that existed for generations was threatened by transplants, the attitude was not going to be charitable and inclusive, especially when demand for new services had no hope of funding except by much higher taxation.

Your flawed either-or "logic" is full of the hubris of youth. If I were to build a piggery next door to your multi-generational family home, I suspect you might backtrack your stance.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM

150 posts, read 217,438 times
Wife (who's worked remotely for 15 years) and I, who moved south three years after 40 years in VT saw this generous offer of $10k and had a good laugh. A quick calculation showed that it would pay for about 60% of the annual property taxes on a small home (or we could live in a decrepit rental); the rest would be quickly absorbed in the first winter's fuel bill. Of course, it would buy proportionately more if we moved to Springfield to enjoy the pioneering life, but that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont