Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I was brought in to help a church deal with the difficulties they had. My role was to listen but also talk and bring into place new policies and procedures to help them move forward and overcome the problems they had (which were many). If all I did was listen and nothing else, I wouldn't have done my job as required. They resented everything I had to say, even though I was following national guidelines with respect to policies and procedures, and continually wanted to do things their way, even though it was leading them on a road to failure.

Nasty is an understatement in how I was "welcomed". For example the first comments to me by some leadership in the church was to tell me I wasn't wanted and feel free to leave and find a church that needed me; even though the reason I was brought in was they needed what I was brought in to do.

Vermont is the least religious state in the country. This is hardly surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 04:10 PM

809 posts, read 998,043 times
Rarely is an interim pastor welcome in any church in America. Your experience might have been more pleasant than the average if you were serving a congregation in the least religious state in the Union.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:01 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
I was brought in to help a church deal with the difficulties they had. My role was to listen but also talk and bring into place new policies and procedures to help them move forward and overcome the problems they had (which were many). If all I did was listen and nothing else, I wouldn't have done my job as required. They resented everything I had to say, even though I was following national guidelines with respect to policies and procedures, and continually wanted to do things their way, even though it was leading them on a road to failure.

Nasty is an understatement in how I was "welcomed". For example the first comments to me by some leadership in the church was to tell me I wasn't wanted and feel free to leave and find a church that needed me; even though the reason I was brought in was they needed what I was brought in to do.

I am so sorry you had such an awful experience here. I can truly say I feel your pain.

I moved to VT voluntarily but have never been welcomed, really. I have a handful of friends, but never experienced the sense of community that was so highly touted and for which I had really hoped.
Biker53 and the few others here who sing Vermont's praises, are, in my opinion and experience, the exception rather than the norm.
I didn't violate any 'golden rule' about newcomers, brought skills for work, bought a home, kept up my property (and still do), pay my taxes (LOL) and try to participate in our local town government (I am a fiscal conservative and have even been called names for expressing the opinion that my town and this state should get a handle on its budget!)

My best experiences were during the few years I kept bees. VT beekeepers are the best people!! And of course, I have enjoyed the incredible beauty of the landscape and the seasons. But if I knew then what I know now, I would never have moved here.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:38 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:

Honestly, I don't mean to diminish your experience, and I am sorry that you had, and if you had a bad experience at that church, it might say more about that particular church, than the entire state of Vermont.

I am actually a member of a church, and I've attended church all of my life. I hate to say it, but some of this most bizarre experiences I've had in my life were with Christians in church. (not in Vermont)

Unfortunately, people who identify as Christians do not always act that way, and church politics can become very heated and nasty, even.

I have heard this before - a congregation says they want to change things up, they invite someone to do that, and when they do, the long time members become upset. It's frustrating.

Now I see from your screen name, that you must be a minister.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:47 AM

809 posts, read 998,043 times
Rev. Randall Terry?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Rarely is an interim pastor welcome in any church in America. Your experience might have been more pleasant than the average if you were serving a congregation in the least religious state in the Union.
That's a good point. Interim pastor is a very difficult job - ANYWHERE.

And, there are definite cultural differences between the Bible Belt (the South) and really ANYWHERE in the United States, but I'd have to say, especially Vermont.
It is reasonable to expect that people within a church are at least somewhat "religious". However, there are degrees of religiosity and dogmatism with individual churches, denominations, and regions of the country. Some people attend church out of tradition. Especially in a state such as Vermont, there are people who's families have attended some churches for 200 years.

I've attended churches of the same denominations in Vermont, and also in the South. My masters degree in (loosely) American culture, society and religion. So, I have not only seen this first hand, I have studies and read extensively about the subject.

Last edited by sheena12; 11-11-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 09:08 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I moved to Vermont after living many different places-this is the 8th state I have lived in. I moved here without having a job or knowing anyone. It was the BEST decision I ever made. At first, I lived on a mountain in the Brattleboro area. After living there for about 2 years, I moved to go back to school at Castleton. I still live in Rutland County today.

One of the places I lived before moving here was San Antonio, TX. You didn't DARE look anyone in the eye you pass on the street for fear they will shoot you or stab you. Here in Vermont, you walk down the street and people who pass you will say, "Hi." In San Antonio, my house had an alarm system on it-and even with all the windows & doors locked, I still slept with a knife next to my bed. (I'm not a gun person.) Here, we don't even lock our doors. I feel SAFE here in Vermont-something I didn't feel in Texas.

One time Hubby skidded off the road on some ice. Several people stopped to help. One guy pulled his car out of the ditch with is truck and another let him use his phone. Another time, he was supposed to meet his daughter some place but thought that he forgot to tell her about a turn so he waited at the turn so she wouldn't miss it. The old lady stopped to ask him if everything was ok and if she could help. Hubby had no idea what kind of help she could provide if he needed it-but the fact that she stopped to ask was just so nice.

And the Post Office. There was one time my letter carrier brought this package to me and asked "Is this you?" It had my first name and the last name had some of the same letters in it. The address was WAY out there. I looked at the return address and recognized it. It was indeed me. Any other Post Office would have sent it back without even TRYING to figure out who it was.

After all the other states I have lived in, Vermont is HOME and there is no place else I would want to live.

Cat
After evaluating several options for the future, Vermont was the place I figured I would head for once I was done in Jersey and my mom was gone. I've been to a writers' retreat in southern Vermont about five times, and I felt at home there. I considered the Oak Island area in North Carolina, but the storms are just too frequent. I also prefer cold over hot.

You know that my life took a sudden different direction in the last year and a half or so. I don't know what the heck's gonna happen next, but Vermont is always in the back of my mind as a place to go.

But, not worrying about it. Mom will be 90 tomorrow, and she's looking pretty good, so I will be maintaining the Jersey connection for a bit.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
After evaluating several options for the future, Vermont was the place I figured I would head for once I was done in Jersey and my mom was gone. I've been to a writers' retreat in southern Vermont about five times, and I felt at home there. I considered the Oak Island area in North Carolina, but the storms are just too frequent. I also prefer cold over hot.

You know that my life took a sudden different direction in the last year and a half or so. I don't know what the heck's gonna happen next, but Vermont is always in the back of my mind as a place to go.

But, not worrying about it. Mom will be 90 tomorrow, and she's looking pretty good, so I will be maintaining the Jersey connection for a bit.
I may see you there someday. I think the Green Mountain State is in my future.
A solid choice for people who march to the beat of a different drummer, and conceived, and created the drummer on their own.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
I had the displeasure of living in Vermont, Burlington area. Worst decision of my life. From day one I was informed that my views of things were meaningless as I wasn't a born and bred new englander. They were rude to my face, to my spouse's face and spread lies about us behind our backs.

If I had to do it over, I would live in a dirt hut in the Borneo Forest before I live in Vermont. I have told friends it is better to be homeless elsewhere (which I am not), than be a resident of that god awful, backwoods, hole in the wall state.

My only regret is it doesn't get hit by hurricane's and won't be wiped off the map.
Bless your little heart. Christian values certainly have changed. Have you considered another calling?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I would LOVE to you to come here-but I know there is a certain lake that seems to be calling you. But any time you want to come, you are always welcome.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont