Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
What part of Somerset County, NJ did you grow up and where did you go to High School? My wife and I grew up in Warren Twp, NJ and went to Watchung Hills Regional HS in the late 70s and early 80s. My wife and I lived in Flemington in Hunterdon County for a while after college when we were first married and both worked in Princeton, then Morristown in Morris County, then out of state for a while, and then Chester in Morris County before moving back to Warren in Somerset County. What you said about Hunterdon-Somerset-Morris Counties is spot on and gettiung more so all the time, still I think it is the nicest part of NJ and the only part of NJ that I would live in.

Bucks County, PA just over the river is a beautifal area, very similary to Hunterdon-Somerset-Morris Counties in NJ and an option for us if we can't take being taxed to death here in NJ in retirement. Many Jersey people move there for that reason.
We were sort of neighbors then. I grew up in Bridgewater and went to Bridgewater West in the late 60's/early 70's. They had two high schools back then (East and West) which were subsequently merged some years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 07:41 PM

675 posts, read 644,926 times
I went to college north of Brattleboro in the early 90's. Very interesting people. Hippies, professors, students, etc. Loved the scenery and the vibe. Especially Brattleboro itself, 10 miles south.

Unfortunately, there was a lack on infrastructure. Nearest big hospital was 45 miles away, and public transit was almost non-existent. Based on that, I needed to leave. I was sad to have to do so. Would have loved to explore the state much more.

One of the local radio stations (mainstream pop/rock mix, WKVT) got around to getting a webstream finally, so I was listening to that yesterday. Except fo a rebrand (same calls, same frequency), everything felt very much the same.

I was sorry the Catamounts couldn't pull off a crazy upset to make it past the first round of the NCAA MBB tourney.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:54 PM

130 posts, read 140,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I grew up in Somerset County but was only back for visits and the 1st 2 summers once I went off to college, and am now retired so its been quite a while. I don't care how cold or snowy the winter is but come March I think my genes are still wired to "it's supposed to be spring". Of course after my entire adult life first in Western, MA and then in Vermont I no longer expect March to be Spring. I understand where you are coming from. Were I to go away in Winter, I think I'd pick March as the time.

My family has all died off or moved away from Somerset County but I still go every now and then to visit my mother's best friend who I refer to as my "other mother". I as well go down there to visit a brother in Hunterdon County. The triangle of Hunterdon-Somerset-Morris Counties is in the top tier of wealthy enclaves in this country. If you have the money life can be good there. While I can't help but notice the wealth as compared to here, the traffic and endless development, no matter how high end and aesthetic it might be, doesn't appeal to me. As I head home once I get up on I87 heading north and leave the congestion behind I feel a calm come over me. Sometimes I'll take the Taconic Parkway or Rt 22 to truly get back into the countryside vs taking the interstate. No matter the route when I crest the hill on Rt 279 as you enter VT in Bennington the vista and feeling it invokes tells me any negative about living here is worth it.
Hey there Biker and NeBloke:
Biker, I always thought of you as a Mass. guy. Didnt know u had Jersey roots.
I grew up in Essex County, Belleville. My partner Alan was a Morristown guy, a very dear friend lives in Readington.
At 20, I moved to Maine for few years, boy was that a shock! After couple years in the Pine Tree state, never wanted to leave, but Maine in the early 80s: no jobs. Moved back to Jersey but could no longer handle the Essex County urban scene. So, we moved west and raised our family in the farmlands up north in Sussex County, Sparta, then a decade in Fredon. 30+ years in that county. Great place.
As each town became less farmy and more built up, I kept heading further north and west. I finally ran out of places to go. The yearning to break free of the nj hustle once and for all precipitated our move here to southern Vt. year+ ago.
With family and friends south, I/we average a drive to nj about once every couple months. Its always great to see everyone, but by the end of long weekends i have had enuf of the traffic and the pace and long to be "home." (I only wish I could drag a Shop Rite back to Vt with me . Lol.
I have grown used to the sparsely covered roadways, the mountains everywhere I look. The charming quirkiness of this place. I dunno, I just fit here well.
When this 20 year old Essex gal hit Maine, I thought I was in a time warp. Those Mainers were 5 years behind the latest fashion trends, there was very little tendency for keeping up with the joneses. My first life outside of NJ, I couldnt make head nor tails. Then, and quick, those different NE sensibilities grew on me. And once you slow down, live the quieter, simpler life, well it just is something you can grow to love and want to have. I did.
I like the way you put it Biker, hitting 87 northbound that calmness settles. For me too. That Grn Mtn view right after the Welcome To Vermont sign, outside of Hoosick, does bring it all in to clear focus.
Snow on the ground in to April and Mud Season be damned! Lol.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 PM

128 posts, read 168,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinG60 View Post
Hey there Biker and NeBloke:
Biker, I always thought of you as a Mass. guy. Didnt know u had Jersey roots.
I grew up in Essex County, Belleville. My partner Alan was a Morristown guy, a very dear friend lives in Readington.
At 20, I moved to Maine for few years, boy was that a shock! After couple years in the Pine Tree state, never wanted to leave, but Maine in the early 80s: no jobs. Moved back to Jersey but could no longer handle the Essex County urban scene. So, we moved west and raised our family in the farmlands up north in Sussex County, Sparta, then a decade in Fredon. 30+ years in that county. Great place.
As each town became less farmy and more built up, I kept heading further north and west. I finally ran out of places to go. The yearning to break free of the nj hustle once and for all precipitated our move here to southern Vt. year+ ago.
With family and friends south, I/we average a drive to nj about once every couple months. Its always great to see everyone, but by the end of long weekends i have had enuf of the traffic and the pace and long to be "home." (I only wish I could drag a Shop Rite back to Vt with me . Lol.
I have grown used to the sparsely covered roadways, the mountains everywhere I look. The charming quirkiness of this place. I dunno, I just fit here well.
When this 20 year old Essex gal hit Maine, I thought I was in a time warp. Those Mainers were 5 years behind the latest fashion trends, there was very little tendency for keeping up with the joneses. My first life outside of NJ, I couldnt make head nor tails. Then, and quick, those different NE sensibilities grew on me. And once you slow down, live the quieter, simpler life, well it just is something you can grow to love and want to have. I did.
I like the way you put it Biker, hitting 87 northbound that calmness settles. For me too. That Grn Mtn view right after the Welcome To Vermont sign, outside of Hoosick, does bring it all in to clear focus.
Snow on the ground in to April and Mud Season be damned! Lol.
Great post Robin, there sure are a lot of us Jersey folks and they are everywhere you go aren't they? I was working on a project in Sydney, Australia for 2 years back in the mid 90's and was on a transit bus in the city and some guy from Jersey just happened to be sitting behind me with his business companion from Ohio and was telling the Ohio guy that no matter where he goes in the world he runs into Jersey people everywhere he goes. After hearing him go on and on about it for a few minutes I turned around and said to him "You from Joisey, I'm from Joisey." Turns out he was from Watchung, the next town over from me. The Ohio guy was blown away.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,843 times
After living in NY, NC, and MA - VT is by far my favorite state and moving here was a wonderful change. It's pricey and mud season is rough, but the people are warm and welcoming, the open spaces are gorgeous, and the dedication to small businesses is a wonderful thing to see.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM

219 posts, read 481,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

It would be hard to find two states as dissimilar as OK and VT.
Especially the tornadoes! Shudders! And I thought the Springfield, Massachusetts tornado on June 1, 2011, was bad!

I've heard that there's no higher chance of a major tornado than in a particular spot in Oklahoma, which, IIRC, I heard around the time of the May, 2013 monster tornado touchdown.
(Possibly from one of the meteorologists on TV!)

Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I had the displeasure of living in Vermont, Burlington area. ...

My only regret is it doesn't get hit by hurricane's and won't be wiped off the map.
Wow! And you are a pastor ?
Is your religion called “devil’s own”?
And is your religion’s main book called “satanic verses”?
What do you teach-public burning everyone you don’t like in the town’s square?
No wonder some people are becoming atheists..

Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 AM

229 posts, read 317,152 times
KateVT,

Where are you in Vermont?

Old 07-31-2019, 04:04 AM

29 posts, read 27,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinG60 View Post
So, once upon a time, did the big neighborhood thing, loved it, but am content now to: drive my lawn mower down my long mountain driveway, bags of my garden veges in the wagon and pop by the neighbors for a quick, or more lengthy, "Hello!, " move thru tai chi with great folks, visit neighborhood gardens with the perennial swappers club in the spring. Beyond that, we've been very busy doing some tree harvesting on on 35 acres, cutting up our heat, building woodshed and swimming those pesky dogs. Not a great deal of time, or energy, to go BIG social. But, as winter is here, we've been eyeing the signage for the Saturday night Bingo at the fire station, for some laughs. Little social is great right now.

robin
Oh, those sounds like the *perfect* ways to be busy, Robin60! My kind of pace and activities Oh, to have a riding lawn mower . . . one can dream

The sooner I can find a modest, affordable house to rent between Woodstock and Brattleboro (LOL!), I'm headed out there to "settle in" for 6-12 months while scoping out where to buy a house or establish more permanent living. Ski season is fast approaching so I might not make it out in time and may have to wait until spring to relocate but guess there's no rush.

So miss the New England fall season though! The fall foliage colors are AMAZING!!

Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 AM

29 posts, read 27,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
Lots of interesting experiences and responses here, thank you for sharing.

I asked the original question because we own property in VT and often considered moving there full time in retirement which is still 10 years away for us.

We love Vermont and once seriously considered relocating to Burlington from NJ to raise our family but now know that it would have been a disaster for many reasons most notably from a career standpoint.

We own 20 acres in Plymouth, VT and have a camp on it now and our neighbors are a great mix of native Vermonters, 2nd home owners from MA, CT, NJ and RI and retirees from those same places. We have found all of them, including and especially the locals, to be incredibly warm friendly and welcoming people and have made a lot of great friends there in the 15 years that we have been there. But I will say that being there on weekends and vacations is much different that living there full time and trying to make a living, that is two different experiences entirely. Everyone is in vacation mode when we are there or already retired which is not every day life.

nebloke, so when do you "vacation" in your VT home? During winters, for ski season, or summers? Do you rent/lease it out when not there? If not, why given that it seems like you could find good renters for that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont