U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,594,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'll tell you another very good thing about Vermont...

You can embrace 'natural' foods or 'vegetarianism' or whatever is a bit fringe in some other areas and NO ONE CARES.

You actually can very easily find vegetarian, vegan or alternative items here that you would be hard pressed to locate, even in NY.
Agreed! I didn't appreciate this until we were in the Durango area of SW Colorado, which is a pretty hip, hippie, upscale kinda place. At an internet cafe, of all the neo places, I ordered a vegan cappuccino or something like that. The kid behind the counter said, "A vee-ggin? What kind of cappuccino is that?" I swear he'd never heard the word before.

This never happens to me in Vermont. Go vegan freaks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:43 PM

155 posts, read 560,840 times
One of the many reasons we are moving up! My husband is already there but the girls and I are here for a few more days. Come on Friday hurry up and get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Agreed! I didn't appreciate this until we were in the Durango area of SW Colorado, which is a pretty hip, hippie, upscale kinda place. At an internet cafe, of all the neo places, I ordered a vegan cappuccino or something like that. The kid behind the counter said, "A vee-ggin? What kind of cappuccino is that?" I swear he'd never heard the word before.

This never happens to me in Vermont. Go vegan freaks!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,467,735 times
Yup, very critical to survive and thrive in these economic times

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,723,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancny View Post
We have very simple lives too--we try not to accumulate, don't get into fashion, don't have any costly habits. If I could live a simple life for all of my days, I would be a happy person!
Me too. This attitude is what lead me to Vermont. Like many people here, I was just tired of congested suburbia with thr long commutes and traffic. My
wife and I live in a small cabin. Before moving here, we lived in a big home and were antiques addicts. I still love antiques, but we literally have no room.

I've pretty much purged the materialism from my life. In the past I always knew exactly what kind of car I wanted-color etc. Now I just want one that makes it up the driveway. When we bought our cabin we assumed we'd put up an addition fast. because it seemed so small. We haven't though because there hasn't been a single time when i thought the house felt small. The only thing I wonder about now is why we ever had (and heated)
a large house.

I'd reccomend being just as concerned about the property as the house.
While we love the cabin and our home, our beautiful peaceful property
is whay made this special for us.

Simplify.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM

894 posts, read 1,315,002 times
To answer the original question- it can be hard or impossible here. VT functions as a giant pyramid scheme most who enter will end up with less. Yes you can come here and downsize your house and get by but I'm guessing that for most people personal wealth continually decreases after moving here. State reps joke off the record about selling the state to Disney putting a fence around it and charging admission. Enter at your own risk. Many do seem to love it here and there(Disneyworld).

Old 04-08-2008, 11:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 52,423,862 times
If you are contented with how and where you are living you do not need to worry about the wealth.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,424,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
To answer the original question- it can be hard or impossible here. VT functions as a giant pyramid scheme most who enter will end up with less. Yes you can come here and downsize your house and get by but I'm guessing that for most people personal wealth continually decreases after moving here. State reps joke off the record about selling the state to Disney putting a fence around it and charging admission. Enter at your own risk. Many do seem to love it here and there(Disneyworld).
Lots of people rationalize about how they need to drive an hour in traffic and another hour back every day, and put up with crime, sprawl and a world which seems made of asphalt...in order to have ...a nicer car to spend life in. A world in which shopping malls and billboards pass for culture isn't too appealing to me.

Would it be a good thing if there were more and better paying jobs in VT? Yep. But I, for one, am willing to have a little less money to take to the box stores. Make all the Disneyland jokes you like, but I'll take Vermont, thanks...problems and all.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 AM

267 posts, read 1,720,349 times
Just curious, why are alot of Vermonters against box stores? I could never see Vermont in a million years get over run by box stores, so whats wrong with a couple more here and there? I know I know, Target is being built in Plattsburg. But wouldn't it be nice if Target was here that way we don't have to take a ferry to get there? LOL

I guess its about supporting your local community which is good. But sometimes my local community stores are too expensive and I'd rather just save my shopping until I go to Tafts Corners and get it all done then. For example, the closest bookstore to me has a small but great selection but they sell their books at cover price. Although I do buy my books their from time to time, I like going to Barnes and Noble or Borders better because of the discounted prices and Walmart is even better priced for books. Another example: I wanted to check out a small local department store in a town nearby because I need to get some new undergarments. They sold a package of Hanes Her Way undies for $11! At Walmart I would only pay $6-7 at most for the exact same thing. Needless to say I waited til I needed to do shopping at Tafts Corners.

Please don't hate me guys because I love my box stores. I do think its wonderful to shop locally and support the community. Don't get me wrong, I do shop in my town also all the time. Sometimes it would just be nice to have those stores closer instead of driving to Williston or Burlington and making a day of it. I hate driving. Believe me, I'd complain alot less if I lived out that way, lol.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM

3,349 posts, read 8,929,612 times
luv80s, I agree with you. Competition is good. I shop at my local stores AS WELL as the box stores. I agree that I doubt VT will be run over with box stores - our population simply does not support it. People in general have a fear of change - whether it be box stores, or a couple new houses going up nearby, people (not everyone) get aprehensive.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,424,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Just curious, why are alot of Vermonters against box stores? I could never see Vermont in a million years get over run by box stores, so whats wrong with a couple more here and there? I know I know, Target is being built in Plattsburg. But wouldn't it be nice if Target was here that way we don't have to take a ferry to get there? LOL

I guess its about supporting your local community which is good. But sometimes my local community stores are too expensive and I'd rather just save my shopping until I go to Tafts Corners and get it all done then. For example, the closest bookstore to me has a small but great selection but they sell their books at cover price. Although I do buy my books their from time to time, I like going to Barnes and Noble or Borders better because of the discounted prices and Walmart is even better priced for books. Another example: I wanted to check out a small local department store in a town nearby because I need to get some new undergarments. They sold a package of Hanes Her Way undies for $11! At Walmart I would only pay $6-7 at most for the exact same thing. Needless to say I waited til I needed to do shopping at Tafts Corners.

Please don't hate me guys because I love my box stores. I do think its wonderful to shop locally and support the community. Don't get me wrong, I do shop in my town also all the time. Sometimes it would just be nice to have those stores closer instead of driving to Williston or Burlington and making a day of it. I hate driving. Believe me, I'd complain alot less if I lived out that way, lol.
I shop on foot, in downtown Burlington whenever I can. I feel fortunate that Burlington still has a good variety of locally owned shops as well as chain stores. The 4 dollars I'd save at WalMart on underwear...I'd spend on gas. But I do miss having Woolworth in downtown Burlington, and I miss the several good independent bookstores too...

I'm not utterly opposed to big box stores, but Walmart just doesn't appeal at all... Target is, again, a completely different story. Well designed ...stuff...at great prices will get me in the car a couple of times a year.

If I'm going to get in the car to shop at a giant retailer, I'll go to Costco. Costco treats it's employees very well, and it shows. They seem thrilled to be there. I'm forever being surprised at how inexpensive the high-quality goods are at Costco. Food, clothing, books, electronics. They don't seem to sell ultra low quality stuff either, so the overall experience is much better for me than it's been on the few occasions I've poked around at you-know-where...

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or