Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:41 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

I think the best suggestion yet is - next time they see the landlord on their way out, tell him you are on your way out to buy electric space heaters because you cannot live in 50 degree temps.

Another thing. You said your daughter has reprogrammed the thermostat and the landlord changed it back. Be sure she knows that just changing the temp will not reset the programming. It will only hold until the next time cycle. She would have to go through the whole programming sequence and reset it for each time period of each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Are you sure your daughter actually reprogrammed the thermostat? If she just raised the temp, the system will go back to it's original programming once the clock hits the next time period. She has to go through the sequence to set the temp for each time period of the day, and for each day of the week.

If problems persist, the next time they see the landlord on the way out, tell him they are on their way to the store to buy electric heaters. That was the best suggestion you got so far.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:41 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,506 times
The numbers were never discussed before hand so each has their own idea of what comfortable is.
For me, comfort is weighed against cost.

Assuming your daughter prevails, what happens next?
She is toasty warm... with a rent that is guaranteed to be increased and a bad reference waiting for the next landlord.

Her best bet is coming to a compromise. Wear a hoodie inside and considering it training for when she owns her own place and has to pay heat. I tell my wife 'raising the thermostat vs putting on a sweatshirt is like lighting $20 bills on fire and holding them under the chimney.'

Old 11-30-2018, 03:07 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
What is the current landlord going to tell any future landlord? "Our agreement was 'heat included' but then tenant used more than I thought was acceptable to stay warm?" Utterly ridiculous. but I wouldn't doubt that this occurs.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:14 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
See how awful it gets here and the line of thinking? I hardly think two 'kids' who are stretched thin as it is have 'a couple of hundred' bucks to see an attorney for heaven's sake for breach of a presumably 'simple' landlord-tenant agreement. Heat and snow removal are included in the lease but apparently this is 'according to what the landlord thinks is reasonable.' I'd suggest going to the town first.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:59 AM

809 posts, read 997,912 times
A present landlord with a tenant problem is likely to give a GREAT recommendation to the next one, because that will facilitate ending the problem. It's the second-latest landlord who'd be likely to do the dump.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:17 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
See how awful it gets here and the line of thinking? I hardly think two 'kids' who are stretched thin as it is have 'a couple of hundred' bucks to see an attorney for heaven's sake for breach of a presumably 'simple' landlord-tenant agreement. Heat and snow removal are included in the lease but apparently this is 'according to what the landlord thinks is reasonable.' I'd suggest going to the town first.
First, a housing budget stretched thin does not always equate to poverty. Students attending Middlebury or U.V.M. from out of state often have the resources of Croesus backing them when in a pinch.

Second, lease enforcement is not a criminal matter, but a civil dispute. A "town" (which part of said "town?") has no jurisdiction unless a specific ordinance is violated. It could be checked out, but is not an assured "git-er-dun" solution.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:00 PM

809 posts, read 997,912 times
Talk to the town health officer. It's free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont