U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 AM

25 posts, read 8,527 times

Advertisements

Happy (almost) New Year!

I'm writing to see if anyone has thoughts about living in Woodstock, VT. With an 8-year-old son, we're looking at great spots for our family and Woodstock has been a town that keeps coming up for us. My husband and I both work from home and we're interested in being involved with the community too.

Are there many kids in town? How's Woodstock Elementary/Middle/High since Act 46? Lots to do for kids year-round in town?

Right now, we live outside Philadelphia, a city atmosphere--and we're looking to move back to New England (husband's from Boston, I'm from VT).

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 12:40 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,780,741 times
Woodstock is a very nice, upscale community which is very tourist oriented. There are a couple small markets in town (the Woodstock Farmer's Market is fantastic), but for larger grocery stores you'll be commuting to West Lebanon, NH.
I don't know much about the schools, other than the high school is regional and serves the surrounding towns as well. I would imagine the schools are good given the demographics.
Skiing is nearby at Suicide Six or Killington. Great hiking/walking right in town on Mt. Tom. Billings Farm & Museum is fun.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:46 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
You should also look in the Upper Valley -- Norwich and White River Jct in VT, Hanover, Lyme, Lebanon, and West Lebanon in NH. Dartmouth College is in Hanover and is a great source of concerts and shows, plus other events.

Woodstock is very nice... but for everyday needs such as food and clothing, you will be driving to NH as mentioned above.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 AM

159 posts, read 178,975 times
Only one cafe in Woodstock, I've always found this very weird!

Old 12-30-2018, 02:27 PM

809 posts, read 676,769 times
If you like nice and upscale, Woodstock's fine. If you want to be an integral part of a renewing community, you'd prefer Springfield. Incredible opportunities for people with dreams!

Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 PM

370 posts, read 298,935 times
You are from VT right? So you know what living in a small VT town is about. My Dad lives in woodstock. It is a nice, pretty wealthy little town. Expensive to get a house there. Some restaurants, a decent little grocery store. Lots of tourist shops a bank, hardware store. Most of everything you need day to day is in town. Once a week you might go to West Lebanon where all the box stores are and big grocery stores. Schools? not sure, I would guess they are in the top strata of public schools based on how much money they would have. If you live in town, your child will probably find some kids right there. Moving out of town just a quarter mile you are in the country. rural living.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:05 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I don't know much about the schools, other than the high school is regional and serves the surrounding towns as well. I would imagine the schools are good given the demographics.

Both the middle and high schools are regional so they're more socioeconomically diverse. They're among the better schools in the state.

If you want the gold plated school system with mostly white collar professional parents in that part of Vermont, Norwich and Hanover NH share a middle and high school. It kind of depends on how much you value exposing children to some diversity.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,094,283 times
I am relocating to the Upper Valley for work and have been looking at towns. We spent some time looking at Woodstock and t just kind of reminded me of a phony example of what rich NY'ers think VT should look like. Like Chatham or Stockbridge, MA

We centered our search between Strafford (school choice for HS, default is Thetford Academy), Thetford, and Vershire. Vershire feeds into Rivendell and is the most economically diverse but the high school is still very small (30 kids per class) BUT you can get some good deals.

Ultimately we have settled on Thetford as you have varied types of housing, high school and elementary school in the same town, and 15mins from Hanover/Lebanon.

Last edited by Boston_Burbs; 01-01-2019 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 PM

16,945 posts, read 22,255,374 times
Woodstock is a very expensive fake touristy town and I've always found a lot of the people to be very snobby as one might expect in a town dominated by the extremely wealthy. I'd look elsewhere myself. The traffic is also horrible going through downtown in the village along route 4. It'll back up badly especially during peak tourism season. The town doesn't make the route 4 corridor driver friendly but also opposes any sort of bypass to get the traffic out of the village.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 AM

25 posts, read 8,527 times
Thank you for your thoughts, vter! I appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont