U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,726,049 times

Advertisements

Do the Twelve Tribers still live in VT? When I lived in Rutland, they owned a couple of houses, a cafe, and had an area for making soap, wooden items, etc. I always thought their religious beliefs were a bit odd, but they were alsways friendly. It was a little something different around town.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,424,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Do the Twelve Tribers still live in VT? When I lived in Rutland, they owned a couple of houses, a cafe, and had an area for making soap, wooden items, etc. I always thought their religious beliefs were a bit odd, but they were alsways friendly. It was a little something different around town.
From my understanding they are still in Rutland, though I really know nothing specific about them. My knowledge about them comes from the long distance hiking community as Appalachian Trail thru-hikers can score a night in terms of hostel type arrangement when they pass theough Vt on their way to Maine or Georgia depending on their direction of travel.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:16 PM

Yeah, they aren't officially a "cult", but do have cult-like attributes. They all have a certain type of dress, the children are home-schooled, they believe that their beliefs are the only true way, etc. I don't think they have a history of abusing members, at least not the ones in Rutland. I know they were investigated in one location and the children were temporarily removed, but then returned.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:56 PM

3,333 posts, read 8,796,419 times
Interesting...I've never heard of them. Anybody have any more info?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,534,600 times
There's still a large community in Rutland. The restaurant is extremely popular and expanding soon. My husband and I eat there ALL the time. Today, in fact. They also have a store and a hostel, as has been mentioned here.

My husband and I find the Twelve Tribes theology so offensive (e.g., sexism, racism, etc.) that when we learned more about it we actually stopped going to the restaurant for several months. But the fact is that they're excellent neighbors (they own & live in several houses just a block from us) and provide a truly delicious and fun place to go in downtown Rutland, and all that is worth something to us.

Here's the restaurant menu & other links with info.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,000,052 times
They were food vendors right next to us at the Arts in the Park festival in Rutland this past summer. They charged less for food cause all their workers are members and are not paid. They were friendly enough but all religious sects usually are.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,674,801 times
A refernce to a raid in island pond vermont toward the middle

The Twelve Tribes : A 25 Year Retrospective On The Impact Of The Anti-Cult Movement On Children Of The Twelve Tribes Communities

Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
There's still a large community in Rutland. The restaurant is extremely popular and expanding soon. My husband and I eat there ALL the time. Today, in fact. They also have a store and a hostel, as has been mentioned here.

My husband and I find the Twelve Tribes theology so offensive (e.g., sexism, racism, etc.) that when we learned more about it we actually stopped going to the restaurant for several months. But the fact is that they're excellent neighbors (they own & live in several houses just a block from us) and provide a truly delicious and fun place to go in downtown Rutland, and all that is worth something to us.

Here's the restaurant menu & other links with info.
You're right, their food is delicious. I never had yerba mate before eating there, now I am addicted to it. I order it by the case load and brew it in my coffee pot. I worked for Downtown Pets for a while, which is right nextdoor to them, and would eat there often. In fact, I sold them the fish for their aquarium. I always knew they were a bit sexist, and I always noticed underage children doing labor, but I never knew they were racist. Can you explain? Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,534,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I always knew they were a bit sexist, and I always noticed underage children doing labor, but I never knew they were racist. Can you explain? Thanks

Twelve Tribes sect denies charges of child labor abuse
Cult News from Rick Ross Twelve Tribes

And most chilling:
Twelve Tribes-EX

Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Intersting links. I am glad to see a former member with something to say about it; it adds a lot of insight. I knew somebody who had a brother that was a member in a different state, and they had no contact with him. It was like he had to ask permission to even visit, or to speak to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont