U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 2,534 times

Advertisements

During a recent visit to Brattleboro I was shocked by the number of individuals panhandling and the aggressive nature of a few.

What other towns in Vermont struggling with similar issues? What can Brattleboro do to curb the problem?

In Newport they have signs downtown which state "Say No to Panhandling. Contribute to the Solution. Give to Local Charities." Is this sort of approach a possible answer? I didn't notice any issues with panhandling in Newport though I am far less familiar with the city and it is smaller than Brattleboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 PM

40 posts, read 32,061 times
Brattleboro is completely out of control right now. The opiate epidemic has hit the town particularly hard. It’s caring, compassionate, and progressive stance to the vulernable population has made it a particularly attractive place for those folks. In combination, the proximity to major drug markets like Hartford, Springfield, and Holyoke have made it a lucrative market. It’s crime rate is among the highest in Vermont, and it has the highest overdose rate in the state.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:15 PM

That is sad about Brattleboro! Hopefully they can take a different approach to improve the situation.

What other towns/cities in Vermont are struggling with this?

Old 08-20-2019, 02:59 AM

95 posts, read 33,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativevermonter View Post
That is sad about Brattleboro! Hopefully they can take a different approach to improve the situation.

What other towns/cities in Vermont are struggling with this?
Bennington. It's a cycle of people stealing or committing armed robbery, buying and shooting up, overdosing, getting narcan, then going out and doing it all over again. People are sympathetic towards the druggie and don't care about the people who were stolen from or robbed.

Bennington has turned into a total shi*hole and it's sad. 30+ years ago it was a great town with great families and quite a bit of money.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:32 AM

1,138 posts, read 888,232 times
Those caught bringing in heroin to VT that is killing Vermonters...do like Turkey and other countries hang'em in public. Enforce the loitering/panhandling ordinances..tell the ACLU and others who don't like it to go pound sand. Tell GroundWorks to stop aiding and abetting and enabling drug use and related activity! Tough love not pity...

Old 08-20-2019, 06:57 AM

Sorry to hear that about Bennington! I have always enjoyed my visits there (though it has been awhile). Hopefully it is not as bad as Brattleboro seems to be.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 AM

I looked into Groundworks in Brattleboro and it appears that one of their employees, Brandie Starr, is the Chair of the Selectboard. Interesting coincidence considering all of the issues with homelessness, panhandling etc. there.

And yes, the ACLU is out of hand. Sometimes they stand up for just causes but other times they are merely opportunists.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:35 AM

I spent 371 days total(343 @ Royal Rd 28 nites@Winter Overflow@ Baptist church) and saw first-hand how things are within GroundWorks. I believe GW needs to be investigated/audited! Junkies/drunks get priority treatment while people like myself whose ONLY issue was being homeless are shuttled to side. Those who use/abuse the system and willingly continue their drug/alcohol lifestyle are allowed to use the shelters and housing programs like a revolving door. Currently the shelter on Royal Rd is a mess and staff just lets it go...residents can do whatever they want. The best place to score drugs is at GroundWorks shelters. If you observe who is there what they do where they go its obvious. GW is a for profit business! My bed got them $450. a month. Food, clothes and furniture brought to Royal Rd for residents passed thru front office/staff who took what they wanted BEFORE it went to residents! Its suppose to be a 90 day transitional shelter..i was there 343 days and knew 2 women who were there over a year. Some people were there their 3rd or 4th time in less than 5 yrs. GW's is NOT being operated/managed correctly or in a way it should. For all the good they do equally they do harm or enable people to continue destructive personal and public behavior.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,267,348 times
The Brattleboro scene comes the closest to what I recall of the hippie culture of the late 1960s. With recreational marijuana now legal in VT (to use- not to buy), I suspect that a lot of wannabe hippie types have moved there lately because it's known as a mecca for artists. Hippies live "off the land" and when the money gets low, they resort to panhandling.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Many of Brattleboro's panhandlers when done go back to their apartment paid for via housing subsidy/voucher arranged by GroundWorks who knows these peoples routine. Many of them have cars or their spouse/partner has one. Many are receiving SS. Many get food stamps. In Brat there is NO legit reason to panhandle as multiple sources/agencies provide shelter, food, clothes or a bus ticket elsewhere. Its a con..mostly to pay for their elbow habit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or