Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 AM

16 posts, read 126,353 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking into a weekend getaway and would like to go to Vermont, but we have no clue where. It has to be accessible by train or bus from New York.

We would like a smaller place with good food. We would also like the lodging to be inexpensive.

Can anyone suggest places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Is flying an option? JetBlue out of JFK has 3 or 4 flights a day to Burlington. Prices are usually very reasonable too.

Amtrak goes to Rutland I believe. From there you could maybe head up to Killington where there are a lot of lodging options.

One question -what is your definition of "inexpensive"?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Amtrak goes to Rutland I believe.
True! I love taking the Amtrak Ethan Allen Line, which starts/ends at Penn Station/Rutland. Shop for discounts if possible. Sometimes I find one, sometimes I don't.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks, inexpensive would be around $100 a night for a nice b&b/inn. This is going to be a nice weekend away so we are willing to spend more.

As I am looking around, can you see things in Vermont without a car? It seems a lot of the inns are out in the country, which would be nice, but we would like a town for food and general walking to be closeby.

And yes, flying is a possibility but we would much rather take a train.

(Other places in New England would be greatly appreciated as well, not just in Vermont.)

Old 04-17-2008, 12:51 PM

Hmmm....Burlington is great for what you are looking for, but it may be too "big". It's more a of a city atmosphere. There are few nice inns near the downtown area.
Another idea would be Woodstock. You could take the bus to White River Junction and then arrange for a ride to Woodstock from there (20 minutes). It's very "quaint" and caters to tourists with lots of restaurants/shops etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 PM

104 posts, read 491,455 times
If flying to Burlington by Jet Blue, you can take hotel shuttles or taxi in town. It's more of a city environment.
If you take the Ethan Allen Amtrak train to Rutland, there is "thebus.com" service to the Mountain, however, you usually need a car to get around the Rutland/Killington area.
If you take the Vermonter Amtrak to White River Junction, there must be a taxi service to Woodstock which is a quaint town, however your hotel budget would not go far.
Personnally, I would take the Vermonter to Waterbury/Stowe, take a taxi to Stowe (10 miles north). Stowe has lodging for different cost. You can take a look at the list on Stowe Vermont: Skiing & Vacations, Information Resource or call the chamber of commerce at 180024STOWE.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Thank you for the information. I'm not sure if Vermont would work out. What other states/places should we look into?

I would prefer somewhere near water but that can mean the ocean, a lake, or a river.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:39 PM

What about upstate? Lake George, Lake Placid.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Do not talk Amtrak to WRJ or from WRJ unless you have a spare 12 hours...

Old 04-18-2008, 01:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Unfortunately trains and buses don't work well in Vermont unless your going to major resort/tourist destination or your going to rent a car. Once you get to Rutland your basically stuck, same for Waterbury regarding the train. You have to get an expensive cab to go anywhere. As mentioned the train up to Waterbury takes forever.

The one place that would work is a bus to Burlington. Lots of places to check out via public transportation and there is the lake to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont