Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 12:14 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
and plenty will move out too due to lack of jobs. If vt is lucky, its a wash. Probably a net loss is more likely.
100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 02:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Perhaps you won't but some will. I live near a couple major ski resorts and there have been plenty of NY'ers who fled here seeking safety. VT is a 3 season destination, and this is the off season even without everything shut down, and yet they flocked here anyway to escape the Metro NYC area. Some will decide to stay, especially with the prospect of more telecommuting being allowed coming out of this. Job losses will cause some to just elect early retirement and settle into their 2nd homes as their new primary dwelling.
I live on Long Island, sadly a corona hot spot. When things started getting bad in NYC, we saw the wealthy flee NYC for their Hamptons beach homes, renting homes out on the east end, or heading upstate and throughout New England.

My decision was to stay put on LI as there are more hospitals here than in VT in the event I became sick. As fate would have it, the first Covid patient at Springfield hospital was from NY. It upsets me that people like him couldn't stay put. Who knows who else he might have infected in VT before arriving at Springfield hospital?

When all is said and done, we will still be staying on Long Island and with any luck, our business will survive. We won't be heading north until it is close to retirement. Still have a few years, but will be along the lines of what you've written. If I am lucky, when the time comes I will sell my home on LI to a city person who wants fresh LI Sound air and distance between homes.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I live on Long Island, sadly a corona hot spot. When things started getting bad in NYC, we saw the wealthy flee NYC for their Hamptons beach homes, renting homes out on the east end, or heading upstate and throughout New England.

My decision was to stay put on LI as there are more hospitals here than in VT in the event I became sick. As fate would have it, the first Covid patient at Springfield hospital was from NY. It upsets me that people like him couldn't stay put. Who knows who else he might have infected in VT before arriving at Springfield hospital?

When all is said and done, we will still be staying on Long Island and with any luck, our business will survive. We won't be heading north until it is close to retirement. Still have a few years, but will be along the lines of what you've written. If I am lucky, when the time comes I will sell my home on LI to a city person who wants fresh LI Sound air and distance between homes.
My daughter lives on Long Island and is getting married in October up here in VT. They cancelled the food tasting and I told her to stay home. I have a feeling the wedding is going to have to be rescheduled. Her father lives on LI also and was sick with the virus.

As for people moving up here because of the virus, I don't think so. Remember that a lot of people became millionaires after 9/11. They had the financial means to start a new life. It is the reverse case with this virus. People are going to be struggling if this goes on much longer. I would like to know how many people actually moved up here after 9/11.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
My daughter lives on Long Island and is getting married in October up here in VT. They cancelled the food tasting and I told her to stay home. I have a feeling the wedding is going to have to be rescheduled. Her father lives on LI also and was sick with the virus.

As for people moving up here because of the virus, I don't think so. Remember that a lot of people became millionaires after 9/11. They had the financial means to start a new life. It is the reverse case with this virus. People are going to be struggling if this goes on much longer. I would like to know how many people actually moved up here after 9/11.
I hope that everything works out well for your daughter, and that her father recovered without incident.

You made a good point about finances post Covid. I know of several people who were either furloughed or lost their jobs completely. Our own business is limping along. My youngest is a college student so we are watching what is happening with her school and others across the country. This might cause some colleges and universities (which had previously been experiencing financial problems) to close. I saw where that had been a consideration for 3 VT state schools.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I've been on unemployment for a few weeks. I'm making more than I did working, which is a bit bizarre. Financially it's been a windfall to me but obviously not for everyone. Many are struggling. But I do think some will be leaving the cities for VT. Half the camps near my NEK property have MA, CT, or NY plates parked by them right now.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,749 times
Quote:
I hope that everything works out well for your daughter, and that her father recovered without incident.

You made a good point about finances post Covid. I know of several people who were either furloughed or lost their jobs completely. Our own business is limping along. My youngest is a college student so we are watching what is happening with her school and others across the country. This might cause some colleges and universities (which had previously been experiencing financial problems) to close. I saw where that had been a consideration for 3 VT state schools.
My ex is doing fine and is back at work. It wasn't easy though. I may have had it but they never tested me. I was sick over a month. I would wake up in the middle of the night and my hair felt like I just got out of the shower. I didn't have a fever though. I'm prone to respiratory infections but it was different this time.

A number of colleges have closed already....Green Mountain and St. Joseph just recently.

I hope your business picks up. I think VT will see more people selling their vacation homes than moving here. Time will definitely tell. The rest of the world should demand that China pays for all these financial loses. They are getting away with murder.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I've been on unemployment for a few weeks. I'm making more than I did working, which is a bit bizarre. Financially it's been a windfall to me but obviously not for everyone. Many are struggling. But I do think some will be leaving the cities for VT. Half the camps near my NEK property have MA, CT, or NY plates parked by them right now.
Not faulting you for using a system that is to aid us in a time of unemployment because that is what it is there for -- this is just a general question/observation: Who will for the increased unemployment payments? As an employer, my husband went through this post 9/11 when NYS had to borrow from the federal government to replenish its dwindling unemployment account. All employers were then subject to an increase in UI payments -- whether or not they laid anyone off -- to repay the fed.

The current number of claims is larger than anything in history. I don't know how this ever will be repaid if businesses go under during this period.

Those plates you're seeing in the NEK are temporary refugees, seeking shelter from the large populated areas. Like the Hamptons on LI, they will stay until the ALL CLEAR has been sounded. If it happens to be summer, they will hang around a little longer. I wonder how many cases of Covid-19 in VT were imported by people fleeing the cities in NY, MA, etc.?

Old 04-27-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
My ex is doing fine and is back at work. It wasn't easy though. I may have had it but they never tested me. I was sick over a month. I would wake up in the middle of the night and my hair felt like I just got out of the shower. I didn't have a fever though. I'm prone to respiratory infections but it was different this time.

A number of colleges have closed already....Green Mountain and St. Joseph just recently.

I hope your business picks up. I think VT will see more people selling their vacation homes than moving here. Time will definitely tell. The rest of the world should demand that China pays for all these financial loses. They are getting away with murder.
Thank you.

I agree -- I think vacation homes will be sold to make up for financial loses. Someone in another forum said that Missouri(?) filed suit against China. I still have to confirm that one lol

Old 04-27-2020, 09:37 AM

512 posts, read 351,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If VT wants to attract and retain people, high speed internet and reliable cell service are musts.
THIS. Without reliable high speed internet, vast swaths of Vermont will not be an option for many in the workforce. People won't leave the cities for VT in droves if their best/only internet option is abysmal DSL. Many of us can/do work for well paying jobs and have the luxury of being able to work remotely. However, high speed internet is non-negotiable. It is the one critical thing that allows jobs to be flexible and remote.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:36 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Not faulting you for using a system that is to aid us in a time of unemployment because that is what it is there for -- this is just a general question/observation: Who will for the increased unemployment payments? As an employer, my husband went through this post 9/11 when NYS had to borrow from the federal government to replenish its dwindling unemployment account. All employers were then subject to an increase in UI payments -- whether or not they laid anyone off -- to repay the fed.

The current number of claims is larger than anything in history. I don't know how this ever will be repaid if businesses go under during this period.

Those plates you're seeing in the NEK are temporary refugees, seeking shelter from the large populated areas. Like the Hamptons on LI, they will stay until the ALL CLEAR has been sounded. If it happens to be summer, they will hang around a little longer. I wonder how many cases of Covid-19 in VT were imported by people fleeing the cities in NY, MA, etc.?
I'm not really sure. My normal payment is half my normal pay. The feds are adding 600 on top of that via the stimulus bill. I don't think the state pays for that at all. Obviously the federal government is running in the red right now. The world isnt what it was 3 months ago socially, economically, and otherwise.

My guess is some of those people will decide to stay here permanently. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont