U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2020, 03:09 PM
 
Location: The Woods
17,584 posts, read 23,632,472 times
Reputation: 10189

Advertisements

It's important to note the income sensitivity on the state education tax is only applicable to the home and a small part of the land if you have a decent amount of land. If you have less than 25 acres of land (remember 1 acre will be excluded with the house from current use) you're out of luck on current use (unless you can demonstrate enough farm profits for ag) so you will be hammered in taxes on land in those areas like the upper valley where values are high.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2020, 01:55 PM
 
681 posts, read 949,023 times
Reputation: 1093
I just looked at a website called "Tax Foundation" and it states that in 2019 Vermont ranked #49 in comparison to the other states for Property Taxes. Only CT ranked higher.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2020, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Fields of gold
1,360 posts, read 995,907 times
Reputation: 3017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I just looked at a website called "Tax Foundation" and it states that in 2019 Vermont ranked #49 in comparison to the other states for Property Taxes. Only CT ranked higher.
You are only looking at part of the picture. You can't see the forest for the tree.

While your statement is true, there are still more layers. Such as to quote Boston Burb
"My house in VT's taxes are $6k, BUT if i made $60k it would be $3,500, $40k would be $2,500. Income tax is graduated as well and the starting point is after your deductions and allowances so you can knock alot off of the top. "

This tells a different story of VT. It seems to me, if your income falls below $60k, life gets better for you in VT. A socialists paradise really. The wealthy pay more of their share than the little guys. If you still think it's expensive then you need to vacate the entire north east. Just sayin'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 PM
 
3,562 posts, read 1,122,645 times
Reputation: 4689
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
It sounds like Vermont is the place for you. Very rural with tons of farms when you get away from the Burlington metro area. NH is the busiest of the 3. While both ME and NH have farms, I see a ton in Vermont. Plus, I think its the prettiest of the 3 states from what I have seen.
Yeep ,Bob Newhart had a farm there. you wont like New Hampshire.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 01:59 PM
 
681 posts, read 949,023 times
Reputation: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
You are only looking at part of the picture. You can't see the forest for the tree.

While your statement is true, there are still more layers. Such as to quote Boston Burb
"My house in VT's taxes are $6k, BUT if i made $60k it would be $3,500, $40k would be $2,500. Income tax is graduated as well and the starting point is after your deductions and allowances so you can knock alot off of the top. "

This tells a different story of VT. It seems to me, if your income falls below $60k, life gets better for you in VT. A socialists paradise really. The wealthy pay more of their share than the little guys. If you still think it's expensive then you need to vacate the entire north east. Just sayin'
Definitely a socialist state, you are right about that. Tell me, if Boston Burb put his home on the market, what would he say the actual taxes of that property are?

I was born and raised in the Northeast. I paid higher property taxes but I made a lot more money than people make here. Everything balanced out in the end so there was no need for the government to play the role of Robin Hood. The sad part of this is that even though everyone s taxes keep rising and they are getting the help from the rich, I haven't seen anyone l know struggling less financially.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 04:01 PM
 
18,233 posts, read 10,273,745 times
Reputation: 32515
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Definitely a socialist state, you are right about that. Tell me, if Boston Burb put his home on the market, what would he say the actual taxes of that property are?

I was born and raised in the Northeast. I paid higher property taxes but I made a lot more money than people make here. Everything balanced out in the end so there was no need for the government to play the role of Robin Hood. The sad part of this is that even though everyone s taxes keep rising and they are getting the help from the rich, I haven't seen anyone l know struggling less financially.
Socialism means the state controls the means of production. That is not anything like Vermont.

The term you’re searching for is “social democracy”. What all the other first world countries have. Like, err, health care for all citizens

Last edited by vter; 07-18-2020 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: stop baiting
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 10:12 PM
 
681 posts, read 949,023 times
Reputation: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Socialism means the state controls the means of production. That is not anything like Vermont.

The term you’re searching for is “social democracy”. What all the other first world countries have. Like, err, health care for all citizens
Err, you should be preaching to Grouse since he is the one that stated VT is socialist. I agreed with him. But yes, lets open the borders, let everyone come in and give them free healthcare too. Why stop at just legal citizens. The wealthy will pay for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top