Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 29,040 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I have an opportunity to move to VT from DC. I have a federal job lined up in Williston, VT, but my fiancé would need to find work. We love the VT area. I proposed to her in Shelbourne on a lake. Anyway, I want her to have the best chance to find an HR job in the region. I have heard Burlington does not have a good job market, but have read the White River Junction area (VT/NH) might be better. It is also w/in driving distance to Montpelier and Concord. For the locals, what are your opinions?

Anyone that might have a HR job connection please respond!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
That's a long ride every day.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
I don't think the overall job market is all that hot in either region. Of course with specialized professional jobs if there are openings then you will compete. As far as commuting from Montpelier to either Williston (not too bad) and to the Upper Valley (not a pleasure in the winter) you had better seriously do the math on the costs involved. I work with several folks who commute the equivalent distances mentioned above and the $$$$ is substantial. Don't forget that our winter heating bills have also seen a dramatic rise so this along with gasoline and electricity needs to be factored into the monthly budget which all coupled together can now exceed well over a $1000.00 per month in the winter.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 AM

35 posts, read 122,645 times
The major employers in the Upper Valley (White River- Lebanon-Hanover) area are Dartmouth College, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, and various small computer high tech companies on Etna Road in Lebanon. (Spectra, Hypertherm, Creare, etc) I have worked for all 3 groups over the past 12 years. It depends on her line of work.. she could look at their websites; most will have an HR contact right on the website. The pay is not super high here and cost of living is very high. Most of the schools are reasonably good here.

I would never in a million years commute. It's 90+ minutes each way (in good weather) from our home to Burlington and you have to think of gas. There is no public transport or train.

Good luck!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I live near WRJ and the job market isn't very good. If you like to clean houses or hotels, you can get a job I guess.
I guess the job market is as good as your job, right? That being said, it's a nice area here. Pretty. Lots of nice scenic places.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 24,460 times
Talking Burlington

Burlington being the largest city in the largest county has much better oportunities for her. White River Jct is 100 miles away from Williston. Williston is growing and I imagine you are going to work for ICE in Williston. My wife works in St. Albans and we are trying to sell our house in Swanton, VT to transfer to the new office in Durham, NC. We have to be down there for July 1, 2008. Franklin County is a nice county to live in. Still close to Burlington only 40 miles away straight down the highway takes about 45 minutes and you don't have the higher taxes. She may be able to get a job in HR in St. Albans, VT. They have Mylan Pharmacuticals, Northwesthern Medical Center, INS, Eveready Battery Company just to name a few. These are larger companies with more than 400 employees. If I can be of any more help let me know. My brother works in the Williston Office as well and he is being transfered to DC. If you need any more help wnsbuckley@msn.com

Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Check out sevendaysvt.com and look in their classified section. I just picked up the paper yesterday (it's a weekly) and I always like to peruse the job section just to see what's going on with companies in the area. I noticed a handful of HR jobs. The New England Culinary Institute for on is looking for an HR person, and a couple more companies in the Burlington area.
IMO Seven Days is the best place for job listings in the Burlington area.
Other growing companies to check out would be mywebgrocer.com (Colchester), and Earth Turbines and NRG in Hinesburg. I know they are currently hiring or have hired in the recent past.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 AM

226 posts, read 693,672 times
Remember to factor in the weather! I am also from the DC metropolitan area and was not prepared for 3 feet of snow in a day, ice storms, -30 windchill, and all the other mess that can come with a Vermont winter. Unlike NoVA, employers here still expect their staff in on time, even when it's snowing or icy out. Try to commute as little as possible, you may pay more for a house, but will make up the difference in gas, time, etc and will have a much better experience overall.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:53 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
Remember to factor in the weather! I am also from the DC metropolitan area and was not prepared for 3 feet of snow in a day, ice storms, -30 windchill, and all the other mess that can come with a Vermont winter. Unlike NoVA, employers here still expect their staff in on time, even when it's snowing or icy out. Try to commute as little as possible, you may pay more for a house, but will make up the difference in gas, time, etc and will have a much better experience overall.
That's good advice. I commuted close to an hour for several years and it was rough after a few years. My wife commuted from Colchester(near Burlington) to DHMC(just over the line from White River) for two years. The commute took such a toll physically(exhausted after the long drive) and financially that she ended up renting a place down there while she was on her work stretch. After two years of this she took a job back in Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont