Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 07:38 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Amazon
Yea, but some people like to actually 'go' shopping, at a store, look around, try things on. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 07:05 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Amazon
Yes, I can confirm from personal experience that Amazon ships to Vermont.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:49 PM

128 posts, read 168,434 times
Quote:
I plan on retiring early. It’s just my wife & I. We are looking for towns to research to retire to. We’re not looking for the city life. However, nothing too rural. Although, we both like a country setting with some sorta civilization, lol. We want to be within 10-15 minutes to major stores & supermarkets. Although no medical issues, we’d like to be 20-30 minutes to a major hospital.

A condo would be ideal, otherwise a ranch style home. Budget is between $350k-$400k +/-
Property taxes are not an issue. I pay a fortune now as it is, lol.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions!
Were are you coming from and how old are you if you don't mind me asking? We too are thinking about retiring early to VT, for most of the year anyway. By early I mean 63.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:28 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There are two major hospitals. UVM Medical in Burlington and Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Lebanon NH. West Lebanon has all the big box stores.

Montpelier is about 45 minutes to Burlington and all highway so that is close to meeting your hospital criteria.
THREE major hospitals-Rutland Regional Medical Center has received awards for their outstanding service. We have had nothing but EXCELLENT care every time we have to go there from testing to cancer treatment to my FIL's comfort care.

My SIL has come to stay with us if she needs medical treatment-cancer and hip replacement.

Cat

Old 12-22-2020, 05:04 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,949 times
We just moved from Mendon (near Rutland) to South Burlington temporarily while our house is being built in Jericho. Our kids live in Essex so we wanted to be closer to them.
Rutland has become a shopping/dining wasteland. I don't mind shopping online, but certain things you just have to see in person. We're excited about Jericho as a retired couple. Small town with all sorts of shopping/dining/things to do close by.
I recommend some of the small towns surrounding Burlington. Real estate is higher, but you have an airport close by, a lake, shopping galore and ethnic restaurants to suit every taste. Hiking and biking opportunities for those so inclined, a great medical center, and proximity to just about anything you want.
We're looking forward to the small town living within close proximity to things to do and see. When we can travel again, being closer to an airport is a big plus. We're excited to move in and at least have the ability to do or see things if we choose without driving an hour away.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:23 PM

542 posts, read 702,147 times
Quote:
We want to be within 10-15 minutes to major stores & supermarkets. Although no medical issues, we’d like to be 20-30 minutes to a major hospital. A condo would be ideal, otherwise a ranch style home. Budget is between $350k-$400k
Based on this brief sentence I would say you can draw a 5 mile circle around maybe the 5 major vermont towns. The condo comment was interesting. Do we have any condos in VT, other then Burlington or the ski areas? Maybe, nothing I have ever heard a Vermonter speak of. Ranch house? Again doesn't ring the Vermont bell but if you insist, no doubt you could by one in that price range.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:07 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Based on this brief sentence I would say you can draw a 5 mile circle around maybe the 5 major vermont towns. The condo comment was interesting. Do we have any condos in VT, other then Burlington or the ski areas? Maybe, nothing I have ever heard a Vermonter speak of. Ranch house? Again doesn't ring the Vermont bell but if you insist, no doubt you could by one in that price range.
There are a few condo associations in and around Middlebury, the priciest one being the Marbleworks, right in the middle of town. (Also, there are condos in Montpelier, for sure.) I know I've also seen several ranch houses for sale in and around Montpelier and Middlebury. The real estate market in both places is difficult now for buyers, though - very low inventory and what there is, gets snatched up very quickly.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:43 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times
I concur that Montpelier is a good location; I would not exclude Brattleboro either. Pretty eclectic area with options for shopping, dining, interesting places to go to including, for one example, the Vermont Jazz Center and there are several surrounding towns, some a bit more country-settings, but not specifically rural communities either.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:38 PM

544 posts, read 939,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I concur that Montpelier is a good location; I would not exclude Brattleboro either. Pretty eclectic area with options for shopping, dining, interesting places to go to including, for one example, the Vermont Jazz Center and there are several surrounding towns, some a bit more country-settings, but not specifically rural communities either.
I would expand upon this that proximity to NH to tax-free shopping in Keene where there is a Target, Walmart, Hannaford, Michael's, Home Depot, etc. within 30-40 minute drive.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:54 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
I would expand upon this that proximity to NH to tax-free shopping in Keene where there is a Target, Walmart, Hannaford, Michael's, Home Depot, etc. within 30-40 minute drive.
why didn't you just move to NH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont