Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 04:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Kid View Post
Vermont has a ton of great towns! What do you think of Rutland County area? Rutland county has this program, 'talk to a vermonter,' in which i signed up for, and a vermonter called me! It was great. So charming.
You said good schools. Other than Killington which uses Woodstock for middle and high school, the schools aren’t very good.

You’re used to 300 sunny days per year and you live at a far lower latitude. Rutland is at 43.6N. You’re probably at around 40N. You’ve probably never experienced cold & humid like northern New England gets. The Colorado “I’m used to winter” is different from Vermont winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 06:31 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Fair warning....and I admit I'm jaded because I lived in Vail for a number of years.....I just don't think the skiing is as good here....but there are many other things that make up for it.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:54 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
I'll second this fantastic bit of advice. Quality internet can be tough to come by in areas outside of the larger population centers. And, IMO, in the areas where it is available you'll pay a lot more than you might in other parts of the country due to lack of competition. Whatever you do, I'd strongly caution you to not choose a place where your only option is Consolidated Communications. They are horrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I will only offer the same caution that I always do on this forum: If you're planning on working remotely and your work relies on the internet, be SURE that the exact location that you move to has sufficiently good internet for your purposes. (Hearing that there is decent internet in a place that's "nearby" might not mean anything for the place you're moving in to.) I think this consideration is even more important for you, with your criteria of access to the nature and affordable homes. There are places that will check those boxes, but perhaps not the internet one.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2021, 08:44 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Can someone explain what a "rad family" is? I've never heard the term.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Can someone explain what a "rad family" is? I've never heard the term.

Outdoors-oriented with a lot of physical/adrenaline activities. Skiing/snowboarding, mountain biking, zip line, hiking real mountains, kayak/paddleboard/windsurf, SCUBA diving, hang gliding, etc. Unlikely to ever visit a Disney theme park.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:29 AM

27 posts, read 36,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Outdoors-oriented with a lot of physical/adrenaline activities. Skiing/snowboarding, mountain biking, zip line, hiking real mountains, kayak/paddleboard/windsurf, SCUBA diving, hang gliding, etc. Unlikely to ever visit a Disney theme park.

ha. yes, RAD FAMILY= that and we have a lot of love and stoke for life! We are high energy family and are really plugged into our community/town/schools etc. Really embrace everything outdoors.

Its really hard to imagine winter more intense as we live at close to 7k ft and get a lot of 60mph wind days, but, maybe its the humidity factor to consider....? I know when I've visited family in Bellingham, 40deg. there feels very very cold.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:46 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Thanks for enlightening me on 'rad families". Curious as to where that term originated.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
Woodstock Union (Killington)
Stowe High
Harwood Union (Sugar Bush / MRG)

Seem to be the best schools right near the big ski mountains. If you want to be 30+ minutes away there are many more possibilities

Old 03-12-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Thanks for enlightening me on 'rad families". Curious as to where that term originated.

probably west coast, Hawaii Kine Culture...where my wife's family is from and we spent significant time (12 years--on Kauai). I would've added 'surf' to my list, but that will have to be reserved for vacations, and, you cannot have it all. :-)

Old 03-12-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Woodstock Union (Killington)
Stowe High
Harwood Union (Sugar Bush / MRG)

em to be the best schools right near the big ski mountains. If you want to be 30+ minutes away there are many more possibilities

but looks like WAY WAY higher cost of housing.

Last edited by vter; 03-12-2021 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont