Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 11:46 AM

53 posts, read 123,185 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. Just looking for Republican residents' opinions on life in Vermont. I'm specifically interested in the Manchester area, but any general impressions/opinions would be very much appreciated.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:36 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,595,018 times
You might be interested in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/verm...e-vermont.html

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:19 PM

53 posts, read 123,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
You might be interested in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/verm...e-vermont.html

Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the link.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:47 PM

9,296 posts, read 16,587,356 times
I live in an adjoining state. My close relatives live in VT, near Manchester. When I visit I don't bring up politics because there is no point to it.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:24 PM

9,214 posts, read 5,001,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Title says it all. Just looking for Republican residents' opinions on life in Vermont. I'm specifically interested in the Manchester area, but any general impressions/opinions would be very much appreciated.
Are you a republican?
I'm a moderate conservative and have been in VT 20 years. Most of the people I've come in contact with are liberals, as you can imagine. They vary widely in how far left they actually go, but quite honestly, I've never had that deep a political discussion with most of them. The few friends I have/had who are/were liberal will change the subject when I try to dive deeper into rationales for particular positions. And I'm not trying to stir up arguments. I have really been interested in honest dialogue, but I can't seem to make it happen.
I would love to know if these peeps think Biden is really any better than Trump but the few times I've asked that answer is 'yes,' but simply because they despised Trump's personality - that's as far as I get.
Don't get me wrong, I was not a big fan of some of his rhetoric either, but I agreed nearly 100% with his policies.
Vermont is not friendly to republicans. I live in NW VT and have always thought there are more conservatives here than one would guess ..... but no one says anything for fear of reprisals. It's a bit sick and is sad, but I don't worry about it much anymore, other than how the politics affects my pocketbook, and it does, believe me, and is not getting any better. We are trying to figure out the exit strategy. I love the landscape and the seasons but the politics makes it hard, especially for young working couples (which we are not....we are retired, but VT is also definitely not too friendly to retirees either.) we'll see.
I don't know about the Manchester area specifically.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:36 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
We are trying to figure out the exit strategy. I love the landscape and the seasons but the politics makes it hard, especially for young working couples (which we are not....we are retired, but VT is also definitely not too friendly to retirees either.) we'll see.
Have you considered Maine? If you're not too close to the coast the cost of living is actually quite reasonable. E.g., the Bangor area is pretty reasonably priced, has a major hospital (important for retirement), and is close enough to the coast for easy day trips.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:36 PM

19,924 posts, read 8,815,529 times
With only 1.6% African Americans living in Vermont, it's certainly not a place for someone who values diversity.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:13 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,260,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
With only 1.6% African Americans living in Vermont, it's certainly not a place for someone who values diversity.
Most transplants moved here from very diverse areas.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:20 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,260,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Are you a republican?
I'm a moderate conservative and have been in VT 20 years. Most of the people I've come in contact with are liberals, as you can imagine. They vary widely in how far left they actually go, but quite honestly, I've never had that deep a political discussion with most of them. The few friends I have/had who are/were liberal will change the subject when I try to dive deeper into rationales for particular positions. And I'm not trying to stir up arguments. I have really been interested in honest dialogue, but I can't seem to make it happen.
I would love to know if these peeps think Biden is really any better than Trump but the few times I've asked that answer is 'yes,' but simply because they despised Trump's personality - that's as far as I get.
Don't get me wrong, I was not a big fan of some of his rhetoric either, but I agreed nearly 100% with his policies.
Vermont is not friendly to republicans. I live in NW VT and have always thought there are more conservatives here than one would guess ..... but no one says anything for fear of reprisals. It's a bit sick and is sad, but I don't worry about it much anymore, other than how the politics affects my pocketbook, and it does, believe me, and is not getting any better. We are trying to figure out the exit strategy. I love the landscape and the seasons but the politics makes it hard, especially for young working couples (which we are not....we are retired, but VT is also definitely not too friendly to retirees either.) we'll see.
Riley, you hit the nail on the head. In my experience with Vermonters, I noticed there are a lot of Republicans, but they don't feel it is anyone's business. When I let them know I am a conservative, they relax and are quite vocal.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:35 PM

19,924 posts, read 8,815,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Most transplants moved here from very diverse areas.
is that why the transplants moved to Vermont? to get away from a diverse area?

got a link?

Last edited by skeddy; 06-05-2021 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont