U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 AM

18 posts, read 51,396 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I've lived in the Burlington area for several years and have pretty much grown tired of it. While I love the town, it's not the place for a single woman in her early 30s who has watched her friends leave because of the immense lack of livable wage employment and the absurdly high rents. It's beautiful, but if you're not in college, married, with family, or a network of friends, it's lonely. As much as people get off babbling on about all the "hippies" in Burlington, this town hasn't been "crunchy" in YEARS...the current population is a much less friendly, much more self-involved set. It's difficult to meet new people.

That said, I adore Vermont. I'm no native, but my family has been here for 15 years and I cannot imagine living anywhere else. I've lived all over the country, and I cherish the liberal values of this state along with the beauty and individuality of the people here. Only thing missing is ocean access LOL! My family is here and I am loathe to have to leave them---but if I don't find an area of the state where I can find some real work and a social life, I'm going to have to! I'm about to contract on a position where I work from home or travel to sites around the state (part time, mind you)...so I guess I'm a bit less worried about the job part.

I've considered Stowe, Montpelier, Mad River Valley---but I'm unsure if it would make any difference. Living in Vermont is obscenely expensive, so my main concern is....

....is there ANYWHERE in Vermont that matches Burlington in terms of youth, culture, music, things to do? I need a change, but I haven't the slightest idea where to begin.

Thanks ahead of time.

Allyson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 AM

121 posts, read 516,801 times
Try the seacoast of NH. More liberal because of the influence of Massachuestts. Near the ocean. But still close to Vermont.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:38 AM

3,327 posts, read 8,756,594 times
IMO, nothing comes close to Burlington in Vermont for what you describe. You could check out the Upper Valley which comprises of the White River Junction/Hanover-Lebanon, NH area. Dartmouth College is there.
Mustard mentioned the NH Seacoast. Portsmouth is a great small city.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 24,642 times
My take: try Montpelier. Stowe and Mad River Valley are too tourist-oriented, but Montpelier is a real community - and only 40 minutes to Burlington if you want to go up to do something there. Other similar towns are Middlebury and Brattleboro. I think you will find people are friendlier in smaller cities.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:46 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,458,108 times
I would suggest looking around Brattleboro for probably more things to do...BUT Weathersfield/Reading/Cavendish are very nice, beautiful and closer to the Upper Valley area towards Leb/Hanover, etc. If you have not made the move yet, PM me.....

Old 03-24-2007, 02:51 PM

46 posts, read 186,406 times
Hi Allyson,

Check out my thread about is Burlington Friendly/Sociable? The responses seem to agree with what you are saying. Have you joined things in Burlington and still not been able to connect with people?

My wife and I are planning on either moving to Burlington or the Pioneer Valley in Western Mass since they both seem to have a liberal bent and good nature around, and in our research it seems that people in the Pioneer Valley have been more open and friendly, but it is really hard to know without being there (we are in Seattle until April). The area is around Northampton MA which has a lot of cultural things going on especially considering there are 5 universities in the Nothampton-Amherst area. It feels a lot like Vermont in the Pioneer Valley and one benefit is it has about a month less of winter and is even sunnier than Burlington. I think rents are a bit cheaper as well, you can checkout Craigslist for western Mass. Another benefit is you can be to beautiful Rhode Island beaches in a traffic free 1.5 hours.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:01 PM

55 posts, read 179,032 times
Portsmouth NH is lovely, at least when we have viewed it twice during their First Night Celebration. Their downtown is picture-perfect, and it is right by the sea. Of course, that being said, we can't touch real estate there. However, we did consider it for a short while. Portland Maine is also very close by, and that has much to offer as well.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,629,396 times
I'm a Vermonter who is quite happily transplanted in Roanoke, Virginia. I've met plenty of Vermonters living in the Roanoke Valley. If you reach your tipping point with respect to the cost of living in New England and economic opportunity, then I'd suggest moving further south along the Appalachian Mountain Range (which the Green Mountains are a part of) until you reach Roanoke. Roanoke is a liberal city, in fact one of the liberal leaning cities responsible for electing democratic senator Jim Webb, an upset of no small import with regard to the current national power balance. Here you have a strong and growing economy in a metro that's slowly working its way towards becoming a third tier city. The cost of living is about 25% less than in Vermont, and the natural beauty is evident in this example photo:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/Roanokeaerial.jpg (broken link)

There is a strong I.T., healthcare and financial services economy in the Roanoke Valley and the folks are friendly and welcoming. Lots of stuff to do, and when it comes to home choices, instead of paying $350,000 for a used up Burlington Victorian in need of major resto, you can get a beautiful brick Tudor or Craftsman house in move-in condition for under $200,000. And if you're self employed (as I am) then you'll save thousands under Virginia's business tax laws. You still enjoy four seasons although Winter is confined to December, January and February. Anyway, that's my Roanoke pitch, we're done with that.

With respect to young professionals and a vibrant community in Vermont other than in Burlington, I'm having trouble coming up with suggestions. Some that come to mind are Waitsfield, Hinesburg, Bennington, Brattleboro and Middlebury. There are other towns but they're more isolated. If you opt to move then I'd be interested to learn where in Vermont you chose and why.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 20,499 times
Hi Allyson,
I am in the same position as yourself, and am looking to make a move. I have lived in larger areas of the contry, and have found it to just be much easier to survive!!! Im in Burlington now, making no money, and can't see myself catching a break to get out of this position I'm in. I have to be in a market that offers young perfessional at the very least an opportunity to strike out and make a living, and not to think that what we have been conditioned to know as living in Vermont to be the norm. There is SO much more out there, so much more opportunity outside of Vermont, so do it and good luck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or